Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Deluxe Expanded Editions?

And I got another one for y'all...

Does anybody know if Sanctuary is planning to release further Deluxe Expanded Editions? I don't know about y'all, but I'd LOVE to see Vol. 4, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, and Sabotage all get the same treatment.

Cheers!

Brent
    When you're feeling down and things look worst, just remember this: God never sets the sofa on fire without first blocking the doors and jamming all the windows...

Vol. 4, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, and Sabotage have all been announced for a September release, but they aren't expanded editions - just straight up reissues. They will be remastered, just with no bonus material. I'm assuming this has a lot to do with the albums being produced by the band from Vol. 4 onwards, meaning any and all rarities are with Tony Iommi, who, as we know, isn't a big fan of releasing those sort of things.

Comment

These will be out on Sept. 21st, fully remastered with new liner notes and packaging.

Comment

Originally posted by GuyOfOwnage View Post
        Vol. 4, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, and Sabotage have all been announced for a September release, but they aren't expanded editions - just straight up reissues. They will be remastered, just with no bonus material. I'm assuming this has a lot to do with the albums being produced by the band from Vol. 4 onwards, meaning any and all rarities are with Tony Iommi, who, as we know, isn't a big fan of releasing those sort of things.

That's really a damned shame. How many times can they remaster and re-release these albums? I'd be very happy to purchase them if they had the bonus material, the outtakes, alternate lyrics, and that sort of thing. However, I'm not sure I want to purchase the same albums again with no extras. After all, I've bought them so many times already; on vinyl, when they were originally released on cd, when the Castle remasters were released, and again when the Black Box set was released.

Sometimes I think one of the biggest aspects of being a Sabbath fan is getting ripped off...

Cheers...

Brent
        When you're feeling down and things look worst, just remember this: God never sets the sofa on fire without first blocking the doors and jamming all the windows...

Comment

Originally posted by Baton Rouge Brent View Post
          That's really a damned shame. How many times can they remaster and re-release these albums? I'd be very happy to purchase them if they had the bonus material, the outtakes, alternate lyrics, and that sort of thing. However, I'm not sure I want to purchase the same albums again with no extras. After all, I've bought them so many times already; on vinyl, when they were originally released on cd, when the Castle remasters were released, and again when the Black Box set was released.

Sometimes I think one of the biggest aspects of being a Sabbath fan is getting ripped off...

Cheers...

Brent
          Well, personally, I think the only time fans were ripped off was with the Rhino Black Box. In following modern remastering styles (read: overcompression), they ruined those albums.

These Deluxe remasters sound absolutely natural and balanced, a proper remaster job that makes them sound exactly like they're supposed to.

So while I'm sad there won't be bonus material, I'm thrilled to finally hear these albums like they sounded on vinyl in the 70's (but without the pop and hiss) brand new.
          Last edited by thesithempire; 09-04-2009, 10:33 AM.

Comment

I thought the Castle black box (the "fake" one) The Complete 70's CD Replica Collection released in 2000didn't have any compression. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they should sound the same as these new remasters being release on September 21.

Comment

they may not... the first wave of Sanctuary remasters in the late 90s featured a lot of flaws. They were pointed out in details by Leonid Makarovsky at the time (who was also an active member of the Black Sabbath mailing list that he administrated a little bit, before Michael Sullivan and then Joe Siegler managed it). If Leonid's around, it could be fine if he could tell us if all the defects have been eliminated in this new edition. It thus seems tghat the upcoming releases will be different from the "fake" black box you mentioned - the most obvious test being waiting to Technical Ecstasy which suffered huge sound variations from beginning to end in the previous Castle/Sanctuary release.

Comment

[QUOTE=Baton Rouge Brent;200700]That's really a damned shame. How many times can they remaster and re-release these albums? I'd be very happy to purchase them if they had the bonus material, the outtakes, alternate lyrics, and that sort of thing. However, I'm not sure I want to purchase the same albums again with no extras. After all, I've bought them so many times already; on vinyl, when they were originally released on cd, when the Castle remasters were released, and again when the Black Box set was released.

I HEARD THAT !

Comment

Well, after hearing the amazing difference in clarity and the reduction of ambient and tape hiss on the Deluxe Expanded Editions of Black Sabbath, Paranoid, and Master of Reality, it sounds as if Sanctuary is actually doing it right this time.

I have another dumb question, though; looking at Amazon.uk it seems as if some 2009 Sanctuary remasters have already been released. The remasters of Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die! are listed as having been released on March 30th, 2009, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage are listed as being released Sept 16th, 2009 (today), and finally, Vol. 4 is listed as to be released on Sept. 21. Are these releases part of the same set of Sactuary remasters that the Deluxe Expanded Editions belong to?

Also, if anybody else has already purchased these, do they sound as nice and clear as the Deluxe Expanded Editions, and do they have the same kind of packaging, i.e. extensive liner notes and photos? Please let me know, or point me to a thread where these new releases have been reviewed! I've bought the Deluxe Remastered Editions and disregarding the cool bonus material, the remastered sound on those is superior to anything I've heard yet. Do the rest of the new remasters have the same quality and clarity of sound as the three I've heard?

Thanks!

Brent

Comment

Originally posted by Baton Rouge Brent View Post

I have another dumb question, though; looking at Amazon.uk it seems as if some 2009 Sanctuary remasters have already been released. The remasters of Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die! are listed as having been released on March 30th, 2009, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage are listed as being released Sept 16th, 2009 (today), and finally, Vol. 4 is listed as to be released on Sept. 21. Are these releases part of the same set of Sactuary remasters that the Deluxe Expanded Editions belong to?

Brent
                    Going by HMV the remasters are still penned in for Sept 21st release :
                    http://hmv.com/hmvweb/simpleMultiSea...bmitSearch.y=0

Regards.

Comment

Brent: Those are the older Castle remasters from '96, which are still in production, and owned by Sanctuary.

The Deluxe Remasters are scheduled for September 21st. They'll feature the same packaging, with extensive liner notes, and a new and superior remaster.

Comment

Originally posted by thesithempire View Post
                        Brent: Those are the older Castle remasters from '96, which are still in production, and owned by Sanctuary.
                        Are you sure? I checked the dispatch estimates on the orders I made and although it says they're available now the dispatch times are all the 21st of September onwards.

I wish Amazon were clearer about this.
                        Last edited by Crackerman; 09-16-2009, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Crackerman View Post
                          Are you sure? I checked the dispatch estimates on the orders I made and although it says they're available now the dispatch times are all the 21st of September onwards.

Yeah I looked at that earlier too. Not very clear at all. I'm gonna wait until I'm sure of what I'm buying before I order I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Crackerman View Post

Well, there are separate listings for the Sept. 21st editions, which is why I don't recommend taking any chances, especially as the older Caslte remasters are still in production.

Comment

Wow! Now I am really confused.
                              I preordered the last 5 assuming they are the Deluxe Edition.
                              The prices are fairly cheap (4.98, 3.94GBP, etc...) which make it suspicious.
                              I looked a little closer and the picture does NOT say deluxe edition like MOR, BS, & Paranoid.
                              SBS, TE, NSD & Sabotage says released 9/16/09 , Vol 4. date 9/21. All from Sanctuary.
                              I quick search for TE shows it was released in 1996, 2000, 2007, 2009 all by Sanctuary.
                              Same on SBS, released 1996, 2000, 2006, 2008, 2009. They are the same mix.
                              Iconosphere is right! These are just reissues of old stuff & NOT remasters, they will sound EXACTLY the same. I'm out!
                              My order has been cancelled to be safe. I'll wait for ya'll to get your copies before I reorder.
                              Bummer! I've been patiently waiting for 6 weeks and now two days before shipping & find out it was all fake.

Comment

Working...
                              X