Best Sounding Remaster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Sounding Remaster?

which versions of all the ozzy era albums are the best sounding ones?

It's kind of a trick question: it depends on the ears. There are the Castle Releases, The Black Box, and the recent Re-releases with Demos from Black Sabbath to Master Of Reality. For me, I picked the Black Box, if at all for value and getting the first eight in one swoop.
    "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

Comment

Black Box is a pretty ideal collection. But I haven't listened to the Deluxe editions. I'm just not ready to buy them AGAIN. But really, you can't go wrong with Black Box at all.
      ***Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of other internet people, the internet police or the internet in general. It is to be assumed that all sentences are automatically followed by "IMO, BUDDY" as to not offend other internet people and start an internet fight.

Comment

Originally posted by hipster doofus View Post
        Black Box is a pretty ideal collection. But I haven't listened to the Deluxe editions. I'm just not ready to buy them AGAIN. But really, you can't go wrong with Black Box at all.

I've heard that black box, from an audiophile perspective, is badly compressed and not the way to go. im not talking about value per dollar or how easy it is to get a hold of. im merely interested in it from a true audio freak perspective. the best sounding versions/remasters of all ozzy era albums

Comment

Originally posted by larshanson View Post
          I've heard that black box, from an audiophile perspective, is badly compressed and not the way to go. im not talking about value per dollar or how easy it is to get a hold of. im merely interested in it from a true audio freak perspective. the best sounding versions/remasters of all ozzy era albums
          The Black Box sounds great to me. As far as compression goes... I've never heard any issues. My brother who isn't much of a music fan always talks about compression and data loss but you know what, I think it's all kind of just psyching yourself out more than anything. I can tell you what notes are being played but I can't tell the difference as far as compression and such. Just my 2 cents.
          "I don't care which god you follow, whose promises you swallow" - Ronnie James Dio
          http://www.reverbnation.com/breakingintoheaven?#!
          http://www.facebook.com/pages/Breaki...916616&ref=sgm

Comment

The Black Box sounds great to me, though some people on the web complain about the compression. The package of the Black Box is sweet and comes with a DVD and a very nice book. It also includes Evil Woman which was never officially released in USA previously.

Soon I will be ordering the first the 3 albums remasters on Amazon UK (as Joe says they are about 50% cheaper this way than getting them on the Amazon US site) not so much for the remasters themselves but for all the bonus stuff, but I will see for myself the difference in sound by ear.

The other 5 albums are remastered but no extra stuff. I wish they had gotten the same treatment.
            you introduced me to my mind...

Comment

I still think that the 'Black Box' CD's have the best sound quality.

Comment

Whilst the booklets with the lyrics have mistakes in virtually every song on the Castle Remasters (Bar Master of Reality and Born Again, which both had the original issued lp's lyrics re-printed) they have great pictures from each albums time-frame as well as any artwork that the original lp's had. And they are jewel case - which neither the Black Box or the Deluxe editions are. And of course - they sound great!

Comment

Originally posted by larshanson View Post
                  I've heard that black box, from an audiophile perspective, is badly compressed and not the way to go.
                  Eh, everyone's a critic. Someone is always going to find something wrong. As a whole, Black Box is an incredible buy, for both value and sound quality. Sabbath albums, the earlier ones in particular, have never had the greatest sound quality but for me, they've come a long, long way. They're louder and much more clear while still maintaining their original integrity. I know a lot of people would agree.

Nevertheless, I'm not a huge audio buff but I would imagine you can only take it so far without completely compromising the original spirit of the recordings. Either way, good luck in your hunting.
                  ***Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of other internet people, the internet police or the internet in general. It is to be assumed that all sentences are automatically followed by "IMO, BUDDY" as to not offend other internet people and start an internet fight.

Comment

"I think it's all kind of just psyching yourself out more than anything. I can tell you what notes are being played but I can't tell the difference as far as compression and such. Just my 2 cents."

Here's the difference.
                    CD from the Black Box is full blast volume at 2.
                    CD from Gates of Hell, or original CD releases, you have to put the volume up to say 5, for it to be "full blast"

I have the Black Box, the book is phenomenal, and I would get it just for that.

I've also got some of the vinyl remasters;
                    S/T, MOR, Vol 4, Sabotage,

the S/T album is excellent, Master of Reality is AWESOME, best version I've heard,
                    Difference on analog vinyl is you need to turn the amp up to 8+ to get the full blast, and its wide, deep, warm. and a completely different experience.

Comment

Black Box is great.

I hate audiophiles.

That is all.

Comment

Originally posted by The Butt View Post
                        Black Box is great.

I hate audiophiles.

That is all.
                        Quit talking out of your ass, butt.

Comment

Originally posted by Malchik View Post
                          Quit talking out of your ass, butt.
                          The ass contains untold wisdom.

Comment

All I know is, the 2009 remaster of Sabotage sounds awesome, compared to the "black coffins 2 disc best of". At least the songs that are on that compiltion, of course.

Comment

Who has heard 2009 or 2010 Sanctuary remasters? Comparison against black box and Castle version, please.

Louder isn't better. Better is the one when you can follow individual instruments precisely and still they integrate well together into musical flow.

Paranoid 2010 Sanctuary remaster w/o any bonus tracks sounds very good and natural.
                              Last edited by alspe; 03-14-2011, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X