Article - Dio/Ozzy BS Vocals Reviewed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article - Dio/Ozzy BS Vocals Reviewed

Found this article of Classical Singer/Teacher reviewing 5 metal singers...She hadnt heard before...it includes Ozzy and Dio...

http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2010...metal-singers/

Found the article very interesting, I'm trying to learn to sing, and she does a good job of dissecting the performances...from a technique POV.

I dont agree that more "classical"/"correct" technique is what sells a hard rock song. Im a believer that "the ear wants what the ear wants..."

Beside, Im prob the biggest Ozzy fan u can find, but i also understand that he has the least vocal technique of all Sab singers ever (well...except Billy..lol)...You can hear him pushing and bullying notes out in the records and live perfomances...I dont give a f#$k..His magic, IMHO comes a little from that, his tone, his vocal riffs and his delivery/personality...

Liked the fact that a stranger to the genre/group inmediatly picked up/recognized what we all know...that RJD was an unique vocal talent...Besides, she reviews my favorite BS/Dio song...\m/

...Saw them a couple of years+ ago and Dio was plain and simply: awesome...you simply forgot age, you just had to remember to close your jaw when he finished...

Dont know if it neccesary/valid to post threads under 2 dif singers...

Cheers,
    Mackie
    http://www.reverbnation.com/theethercult...

PD: Yes, she gonna hear from me for thrashing "War Pigs"...lol... thats blasfemy in my book...
    Last edited by TheEtherCult; 07-31-2010, 06:14 PM.
    Corinthians 5:7 Ö. "we walk by faith, not by sight"
    http://www.reverbnation.com/theautumnghosts

Thanks for sharing the article, but it really does boil down to "the ear wants what the ear wants" and my ear places thankfully next to little importance on standardized vocal techniques and technical singing skill.

Comment

That's hilarious that she'd never heard of Ozzy and thought he was terrible. Yeah, he's technically not a good singer, but has the most signature sound, you know it's Ozzy once he starts singing. Even more hilarious that she asked how long his career lasted. lol From 1968- still going . lol
      Originally Posted by Monster Boy

Depends on who is doing the rating. If they agree with me, they've rated it just right.

Comment

That was an interesting read. I'm glad that for three of them, they picked some of their very best performances to listen to (Ozzy with War Pigs, Dio with Falling Off the Edge of the World, and Halford with Dreamer Deceiver). Though I think for King Diamond they should've picked Into the Coven, and for Bruce they should've picked Hallowed Be Thy Name.

I knew Ozzy wasn't going to go over that well with her, but I was surprised just how low she rated him. Like I said above, I think War Pigs is his very best performance.
        Monty Python and the Holy Grail pic extravaganza! http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31523

Comment

Says one of students wants to sing metal and she's never heard any of these guys... Sounds like someone wasn't doing her job. These guys wrote the book on heavy metal singing.
          "I don't care which god you follow, whose promises you swallow" - Ronnie James Dio
          http://www.reverbnation.com/breakingintoheaven?#!
          http://www.facebook.com/pages/Breaki...916616&ref=sgm

Comment

Really intersting read. Thank you for this
            Tony Iommi Fact #216: In fact, most demolition companies donít use explosives to collapse buildings, only a good stereo and a copy of ďDehumanizerĒ.
            "Black Sabbath : la BÍte venue de Birmingham"

Comment

I thoroughly enjoyed this article, Thanks.
              We donít see things as they are; we see them as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by J Hillenburg View Post
                Thanks for sharing the article, but it really does boil down to "the ear wants what the ear wants" and my ear places thankfully next to little importance on standardized vocal techniques and technical singing skill.
                My thoughts exactly. But I guess whenever we're not sure we can always "Ask a real musician."
                ***Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of other internet people, the internet police or the internet in general. It is to be assumed that all sentences are automatically followed by "IMO, BUDDY" as to not offend other internet people and start an internet fight.

Comment

Proud to be danish when i see King Diamond in this article!

Thanks!
                  You work your life away and what do they give?
                  You're only killing yourself to live?

Comment

Nice read. They made good choices with the Dio and Halford but not with the rest of them. For Dickinson I would've choose Caught Somewhere In Time or Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son. His voice was good on TNOTB but it wasn't fully developed yet and it was at it's peak on those two albums. For King Diamond I would've picked A Mansion In Darkness as I think that song shows off very well everything he can do with his voice.

For Sabbath War Pigs is an OK choice but Megalomania would've been the best one to pick. Like some others here I found it odd that someone who's a vocal teacher wouldn't know what Ozzy's voice sounded like. Even more surprising is that the person has never heard War Pigs before. I mean even by accident you should be able to stumble upon it on the radio.
                    Nobody will ever let you know
                    When you ask the reason why
                    They just tell you that you're on your own
                    Fill your head all full of lies

Comment

Halford? Super talented? What?

Comment

Originally posted by The Butt View Post
                        she definetley got that right. Saw Priest live on the Angel Of Retribution tour and damn he sounded so good.

Good read but as others have said sod what the "real musicians" say it's what i hear that i like .

Comment

Originally posted by The Butt View Post
                          Uh, yes?

Keep in mind she was reviewing based on a small sample. Dreamer Deceiver showcases Rob Halford near his prime and is probably one of the song where he displays the most range. It's quite impressive, really.

No need to fake surprise there. The guy is one of the greatest metal singers of all time and a pioneer. Super talented indeed. What he probably wasn't is super skilled technically. You really get the impression a lot of it was just Halford pushing boundaries as best as he can. It really did put a strain on his voice over time.

Despite his fanboys protest, Halford is not even half the singer he used to be but can't really blame the guy for that. We're talking about a singer now in his 50s, trying to sing some pretty damn unbelievable stuff.

I get the impression a lot of naysayers these days just base their impressions on recent performances.
                          Riffs
                          ________

If I had to make a list, I'd write Cozy Powell somewhere on there and then 43,084 drummers later, Vinnie Appice - hipster doofus

Comment

interesting read! But it's one opinion only, I mean, she supports it with knowledge-based arguments, but even in the world of classical music there's a lot of disagreement.

Not on the technical details though. A classically trained singer must know all that shit about diction, legato and over-adduction of whatever, perhaps due to over-addiction to whatever (pass the pun). In the end, it doesn't matter, none of those guys is/was or wants/wanted to be big in the classical music scene, and the essence of their art lies elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Riffs View Post
                              Uh, yes?

Keep in mind she was reviewing based on a small sample. Dreamer Deceiver showcases Rob Halford near his prime and is probably one of the song where he displays the most range. It's quite impressive, really.

No need to fake surprise there. The guy is one of the greatest metal singers of all time and a pioneer. Super talented indeed. What he probably wasn't is super skilled technically. You really get the impression a lot of it was just Halford pushing boundaries as best as he can. It really did put a strain on his voice over time.

Despite his fanboys protest, Halford is not even half the singer he used to be but can't really blame the guy for that. We're talking about a singer now in his 50s, trying to sing some pretty damn unbelievable stuff.

I get the impression a lot of naysayers these days just base their impressions on recent performances.
                              When he sticks to his lower register he's alright I guess, nothing special.

But my god his falsettos are like nails on a chalkboard! And he has sooo much trouble staying in tune during them!

Comment

Working...
                              X