Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know anything about Sabbath and Zepplien jamming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Destino
    replied
    Well, it's not the article I remember reading a while ago, but Plant pretty much echoes his opinion in this one: http://www.rockradio.co.uk/rock-news...bath/cbf62myd/

He sounds pretty bitter, huh. "But speaking on Canadian radio Plant suggests that Sabbath are no more relevant than the man who sang the tearjerking hit Honey." I think just about every self-respecting heavy metal fan out there would have to disagree with you on that one, Planty.

Leave a comment:

• HDvorak
    replied
    Originally posted by mikesline View Post
    bill told me this:
    john bonham,robert plant,jonesy played with sabbath and that bonham's
    favorite songs to jam with them was supernaut-war pigs,i asked if it was ever recorded
    he was sure it was'nt and that john bonham played with them on a few occasions.
    he also mentioned to me that geezer and robert also had got together and
    recorded a few things together ,but nothing ever came out of it.
    those are two-bootlegs i kill to hear!!!!!!
    I read somewhere (can't remember where) that Geezer and Percy were planning on recording an album together sometime back in the 70s. I didn't realize that they actually recorded material together. Odd, since I've read hundreds of interviews with both Geezer and Plant and I've never heard either of them mentioning it.

I wonder if the recordings were bare boned demos or if they were fully developed songs. If so, who played drums and guitar?

Leave a comment:

• Wicked Cricket
    replied
    I also remember reading a Circuis Mag. article when Dio Sabbath played in England durring the H&H tour, Plant and Page showed up back stage before the show, the article cited Plant doing most of the talking, and Page "simply sitting there, quiet just smiling the whole time".

Leave a comment:

• mythology
    replied
    Originally posted by Destino View Post
    I remember reading a recent interview with Robert Plant in which the interviewer asked him if he ever saw Black Sabbath. Plant said that he and one or two other guys from Zep (Bonham, probably) saw a Sabbath show during the '70s and their impression was that their music was rather dull or boring. I tried Googling this article but found nothing. Would like to read it again...
    Yeah I remember that article, it was in either Mojo or Uncut. He's got a f*ckin cheek though, MOBY DICK that's all I'm going to say. Oh and HOBBSTWEEDLE as well.

Leave a comment:

• Destino
    replied
    I remember reading a recent interview with Robert Plant in which the interviewer asked him if he ever saw Black Sabbath. Plant said that he and one or two other guys from Zep (Bonham, probably) saw a Sabbath show during the '70s and their impression was that their music was rather dull or boring. I tried Googling this article but found nothing. Would like to read it again...

Leave a comment:

• HDvorak
    replied
    Originally posted by mikesline View Post
    Noticeably Jimmy Page wasn't involved, but from what I read he didn't think much of Sabbath musically.

The only comment I've heard about Sabbath from Jimmy is from an interview taken backstage after one of the Chicago 75 gigs. The interviewer asks Jimmy's opinion on several bands, one of them Sabbath, and Jimmy remarks that he's not familiar with their music.

Back in the 70s, Jimmy seemed pretty isolated from a lot of the music scene. I remember reading some Page interview in the early/mid 80s where he said that he was recently turned on to Rush and Van Halen, both of whom he hadn't heard of before!
    Last edited by HDvorak; 09-28-2010, 06:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mikesline
    replied
    Noticeably Jimmy Page wasn't involved, but from what I read he didn't think much of Sabbath musically.[/QUOTE]

yeah i've read-comments like that too but-not too sure how valid those comments really are especially after seeing pic's like this.
    (tony iommi with jimmy page) jimmy went with sabbath on thier "european tour"

Leave a comment:

• zafreth
    replied
    I just have ended reading the latest biography of LZ written by Mick Wall.

He confirm all the info that is in this thread by interviewing Bill Ward, and a interesting remark was how Bill knows about the death of Bonham, via his drug dealer at the time and he said: "i'll next John i'll follow you..."

Fortunately for us he didn't follow...

Leave a comment:

• Ady
    replied
    Originally posted by Gardener View Post
    I know you do, but others might have understood that the fact that Plant and Bonham weren't from Birmingham meant they weren't that close to Iommi and Ward. This way everything is clear
    Okay.

For those who don't know, West Bromwich is just 5 miles from Birmingham and Redditch 15 miles.

Leave a comment:

• Gardener
    replied
    Originally posted by Ady View Post
    I know that.
    I know you do, but others might have understood that the fact that Plant and Bonham weren't from Birmingham meant they weren't that close to Iommi and Ward. This way everything is clear

Leave a comment:

• Ady
    replied
    Originally posted by Gardener View Post
    Yes, but Plant, Bonham, Iommi and Bill knew each other since they were teenagers, they were all members of the "Birmingham scene" and close friends.
    I know that.

Leave a comment:

• Gardener
    replied
    Originally posted by Ady View Post
    Plant and Bonham weren't from Birmingham, they were born nearby though. Plant is from West Bromwich and Bonham was from Redditch.
    Yes, but Plant, Bonham, Iommi and Bill knew each other since they were teenagers, they were all members of the "Birmingham scene" and close friends.

Regarding those "Black Zeppelin" sessions, I remember Tony Iommi speaking of a tape he might have somewhere at his place with a recording of Sabbath jamming with Plant and Bonham in the early 70s, but he didn't know where it was. Now, the question is : does this tape exist or did Tony only think they recorded it (it was a long time ago) ? and, if it does exist, can I hear it, please ???

Leave a comment:

• Ady
    replied
    Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
    Plant and Bonham are from the same hometown as the Sabs too, Birmingham.
    Plant and Bonham weren't from Birmingham, they were born nearby though. Plant is from West Bromwich and Bonham was from Redditch.

Leave a comment:

• mikesline
    replied
    bill also said that he had thought that jonh was going to break the skins cause he hits so hard. i could tell he really liked john a lot and it was evident on his face when he spoke
    of him,saddness.

Leave a comment:

• Wicked Cricket
    replied
    Plant and Bonham are from the same hometown as the Sabs too, Birmingham.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X