best ozzy era production?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best ozzy era production?

which album do you think has the best production? for me, its sabotage, it was clear but still with a kind of raw sound. closely followed by black sabbath because it feels live
    Try your hardest, you'll still be a loser
    The world will still be turning when you're gone

Either Volume 4 or Never Say Die.
    Do you hear the thunder raging in the sky?
    Premonition of a shattered world thatís gonna die.
    In the age of reason, how do we survive?
    The protocols of evil ravaging so many lives?

Comment

Never Say Die

Comment

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, IMO

Comment

Sabotage for me
          I don't need wings to reach the sky
          And I don't need hands to hold you tight...
          ~~~ Coroner ~~~

Comment

I have to say, I am amazed that some people chose NSD, Tony's guitar sounds like crap on that album! Well, to each his own but that doesn't mean I don't get to laugh at you

To my ears, the best 3 are MOR, Sabotage, and Black Sabbath not sure which order. SBS is good, but there are some volume issues (KYTL and LFT both sound quiter than the rest for some reason). Paranoid is mixed well for the most part but the sound is sort of boxed in. Vol IV has a great guitar tone and good overall volume, but the other instruments are kind of buried in the mix. Technical Ecstasy is the poster child for "over produced" and NSD sounds like it was recorded in a tin can. To summarize, my ranking.

1. MOR, Sabotage, BS tie
            4. SBS
            5. VOL. IV
            6. TE
            7. NSD

Actually, SBS and Vol. IV would be tied for fourth because that guitar tone on Vol IV is so wicked awesome.
            Last edited by Monster Boy; 10-19-2010, 04:31 PM.

Comment

My vote is for "Never say die" not because I think it sounds the best...I'm a masochist and want Monster Boy to laugh at me...

Seriously, My vote goes to the first one. Just the vibe alone makes it stand out for me.

Comment

S/T and SBS.

Ted

Comment

Sabotage gets my vote. It sounds incredible, I can hardly believe it was recorded over 30 years ago. Never Say Die has the worst, the mix is terrible IMO.
                  "The lover of life's not a sinner
                  The ending is just a beginner
                  The closer you get to the meaning
                  The sooner you know that you're dreaming..."

RIP Ronnie James Dio

Comment

The first 3 albums are consistantly good, then when Iommi took controls, I think his best was Sabotage.
                    "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
                    R. Blackmore

Comment

I think their best, in terms of production values, was Master of Reality. It was crisp and clean, but it still held that same energy that made the first two albums simply fantastic. Never Say Die and Technical Ecstasy felt over-produced, which for me killed the sound. That's not to say there weren't great songs on those albums, I just feel like their earlier albums were much better in terms of production, because it felt more real.

Producing and mixing an album is quite tricky - I myself have gone through the process, and it's not as easy as it sounds. Too much mixing and your music sounds over-produced and trite; not enough, and it feels incomplete. For me, Master of Reality was the best - the first two were great, but just weren't quite there in terms of production values.

Comment

Sabotage.

I don't get the logic in picking MOR. Musically it's a great album but the mix just sounds so flat. I constantly hear audiophiles pissing their pants about the Black Box removing all the dynamics from the sound... but what possible "dynamics" does MOR have? Two flattened guitar tracks panned on each end, bass, drums, and vocals in the middle. None of the tracks seem to mix together well at all, they blatantly sound like they were recorded at different times (I know every album is, but the other ones seem to be able to cover it up better).

Comment

Sabotage, methinks!

Comment

Best production:
                            Master Of Reality.

Worst production:
                            Vol. 4

Comment

agree SABOTAGE

Comment

Working...
                              X