Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

Why this reunion is a BAD thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is a real possibility that this reunion disappoints. All of them are older. It's been years since they have done anything together, especially an album. The thing is the original Sabbath albums are very personal for a lot of us. We would love to have something new to make us feel the same way. But if it doesn't happen, that doesn't diminish anything in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Charger View Post
      That is bit naive...Surely we want to think that as fans, but it is a business they're running so ofcourse it's all about the money. They're expected to make more than 100 million US$ out of this one final tour so it is pretty difficult to think that they don't have the $$ signs on their eyes... Do they need the extra money? Probably not, but that never stops anyone from wanting some more now does it....?
      But they've been putting it off for so long. If they wanted to just make cash off it, they would have gone on tour back when they weren't ready to do so, "just to do it".

As we have seen with these announcements, they still care about the music and are definitely doing this for the fans... One thing I hate about the industry now is that you can tell a lot of people are in it for the money. To come back with a reunion after this long and after all the success they already had shows that it isn't about the money, but about the pleasure of it.

Besides, are they really expecting to make a boat load of money off the album? No one is expecting another release like Paranoid. Typically when a band like this reunites after so long and puts out another album, only the hardcore fans may it any attention -- most people are just gonna stick to listening to Paranoid and Master of Reality...
      "They say that life's a carousel, spinning fast, you gotta ride it well. The world is full of kings and queens, who'll blind your eyes and steal your dreams, it's Heaven and Hell."
      Follow me on Twitter? :3
      http://twitter.com/#!/kevinmahoney95

Comment

Originally posted by Charger View Post
        That is bit naive...Surely we want to think that as fans, but it is a business they're running so ofcourse it's all about the money. They're expected to make more than 100 million US$ out of this one final tour so it is pretty difficult to think that they don't have the $$ signs on their eyes... Do they need the extra money? Probably not, but that never stops anyone from wanting some more now does it....?
        One other thing:

If it was all about the money, they'd release all the rarities we want them to...
        95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
        Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Underdog View Post
          One other thing:

If it was all about the money, they'd release all the rarities we want them to...
          Honestly I think they have considered that and come to the conclusion that remastering the stuff costs more than the very low sales they will get (because only the megafans that hang around this forum are going to buy the stuff). If they do nothing about remastering, even fewer will buy. A reunion with new album and tour though, THAT brings money. I still believe they really want to do this cos they have this idea of bringing the old Sabbath back for themselves, must be the very best possible way for themselves to end their individual careers. But it works very good as a money grab as well, if that would be of interest.
          "I am the crazy man who lives inside your head, but I think I'm breaking through the wall... You are the innocent convicted of the crime, no one was ever there to catch you when you fall" (1992)
          -Ronnie James Dio, Rest in Peace

"In the summer days we flew to the sun, on melting wings, but the seasons changed to fast, leave us all behind... Blind..." (1969)
          - Jon Lord, Rest in Peace

My first album!!!:
          http://open.spotify.com/album/60jv1AdlWvi1KlcR8JhG4b

Comment

This is just a win-win situation for everyone involved.

Longtime fans get to see what the original 4 guys can do (both live and in the studio) one more time...

Younger fans like myself will FINALLY get a chance to see the band live...

And the band gets to work together again (something they clearly have wanted to do for a while).

Who's complaining?
            "They say that life's a carousel, spinning fast, you gotta ride it well. The world is full of kings and queens, who'll blind your eyes and steal your dreams, it's Heaven and Hell."

Comment

Originally posted by kevinmahoney95 View Post
              Who's complaining?
              Fans that have seen them earlier and have stopped believing in any reunion concept because of all the reunions prior to this one, that are just expecting another greatest hits tour, this time with a crappy album? Haters gonna hate :D
              "I am the crazy man who lives inside your head, but I think I'm breaking through the wall... You are the innocent convicted of the crime, no one was ever there to catch you when you fall" (1992)

"In the summer days we flew to the sun, on melting wings, but the seasons changed to fast, leave us all behind... Blind..." (1969)

My first album!!!:

Comment

Originally posted by Monster Boy View Post
                No, I took your statement exactly for what it was. You discovered their single motivation for recording this album and shared your wondrous insight with us. I am eternally grateful and forever in your debt. Also in awe of your amazing ability to read people's minds.
                Good. Giving respect where respect is due. Next time, though, refer to people who have been here longer than you as sir. Oh, and if you ever come along a comment you don't like, please feel free to leave the boards and never come back. Just a few things to work on.
                "i'm 12 and i love dark sabboth"

Comment

Originally posted by WarningRules View Post
                  Good. Giving respect where respect is due. Next time, though, refer to people who have been here longer than you as sir. Oh, and if you ever come along a comment you don't like, please feel free to leave the boards and never come back. Just a few things to work on.
                  Hahahahhha good one. I'm going to assume that was irony, even though it most surely wasn't. (yes I know it wasn't aimed at me, I just enjoy commenting stuff I have nothing to do with)

My first album!!!:

Comment

Hi everyone, it's been probably more than a year since I've posted here, and since the announcement on the eleventh, I've felt inclined to make this thread. First off, I'd like to start off by saying that I like the Ozzy era. Not as much as the Dio or the Martin era, but I do enjoy listening to the original line up of the sabs more than almost any other band. So, now that we have that out of the way...

Black Sabbath is the greatest band of all time. I can't think of another band that's better. They created a genre, they were the first of their kind, and their influence on rock music is only seconded by the Beatles. With this band being so great and so important, they should live on forever, so people many years from the end of Sabbath can enjoy their music. Such a band should leave behind an amazing legacy.

And THAT is where my argument comes in. TDYK was the second best Sabbath record released with Dio. The Iommi does his work with the guitar as he's done for the past 45 years, and Dio still belted out the vocals as if it were 1981. everything was in tune, and everything came out to near perfection. the thing that really stands out to me is the lyrics, though; it's been a long time since I've heard something new come out with writing like that.

But then, there's the this album coming out. I have faith that Bill Ward can still play on a set as well as he could in 1970. I know Geezer has stayed on his game, and Iommi probably hasn't had a day without playing guitar since he severed his fingers. Ozzy, however, is the complete opposite. I don't know exactly when his voice went to shit, but it's been a long time. Actually, to be honest, it's been a long time since he's released a record worth listening to... Sometime around the death of Rhoads. Is this really what we want to hear? I can tell you now, I'll be buying the album, but I sincerely hope that that there's some long guitar solos.

So, anyone up for an all instrumental version of the album?
                    Haven't been here in awhile, visited on the 11th when I heard the news, but posting now in response to this.

Firstly, "the second best Sabbath record released with Dio" is your opinion. Now while you're entitled to your opinion, of course, and I wouldn't expect you to say anything other than your opinion, this does not mean that this reunion is a bad thing. For one thing, they don't have any other options in terms of singers (Tony Martin is not an option) and they're certainly not at a stage where they can find a new singer.
                    Secondly, most people are saying Ozzy's voice hasn't been terrible recently. In addition to that, they say they've already been writing songs, and with this in mind, I'm SURE the band themselves must have heard Ozzy sing by now. As far as I'm concerned, if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

Actually, to be honest, it's been a long time since he's released a record worth listening to... Sometime around the death of Rhoads.
                    This is also your opinion. And again, you're entitled to state that, but your opinion is not what makes this reunion a bad thing.
                    -rar

Comment

I state my opinion as if it were fact. I think it's generally accepted that things like this posted on a board are opinions... Obviously me saying that the reunion is a bad thing doesn't mean that no one will buy the album, go see a sab show, or think that the album is bad. Heck, if at all possible, I'll go see a sabbath show if they come close, and I'll more than likely buy the album. But yeah, opinion, of course.

Comment

To clear up the confusion as to what Ozzy's voice actually does sound like... Here's what we are referring to. He does sound a LOT better than he did at the Athens show in 2005... *ahem* Children of the Grave... *shudders*
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6-A_8UeadM

Comment

To clear up the confusion as to what Ozzy's voice actually does sound like... Here's what we are referring to. He does sound a LOT better than he did at the Athens show in 2005... *ahem* Children of the Grave... *shudders*
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6-A_8UeadM
                          Well that clip was from 2010 so in no way does that show how he WILL sound next year...he might sound even worse than he did on the last reunion tour...or better...or the same...the point is we can't know that...we can only speculate.

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 PM ----------

But they've been putting it off for so long. If they wanted to just make cash off it, they would have gone on tour back when they weren't ready to do so, "just to do it".
                          No they haven't. Actually they announced this tour on the first possible moment. H&H is done for reasons we all know, and Ozzy's Scream tour is over...then they announce the reunion. They haven't been putting anything off for so long...this was the first possible moment and they took it. Simple as that.

Comment

Next time, though, refer to people who have been here longer than you as sir.
                            What an incredible fucked up thing to say... SIR!
                            Last edited by Billy Underdog; 11-21-2011, 11:53 AM.
                            95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
                            Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Comment

Agreed -- being a member (or not being a member) of a Black Sabbath fan forum does not in any way label you as an EDUCATED FAN (or an UNEDUCATED fan) at all...

Comment

Agreed -- being a member (or not being a member) of a Black Sabbath fan forum does not in any way label you as an EDUCATED FAN (or an UNEDUCATED fan) at all...
                                Ever heard of sarcasm? Good Lord. I was standing up for someone whom I've posted on these boards with for a long time, but I wasn't actually being serious. But Billy Underdog was just being completely unreasonable with what he said to Franklin.

Comment

Working...
                                X