X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monster Boy
    replied
    Originally posted by hipster doofus View Post
    It's their reputation on the line, not our t-shirt's.
    The hipster in all of his glory! Well done sir.

Leave a comment:

• Franklin
    replied
    In one of the videos Joe linked to on the home page, at the very end they finally got around to asking what Geezer thought of it all and his response was something like, I can't wait till it's all over with. And that's exactly how I feel.

Leave a comment:

• David86
    replied
    I think it's gonna be shit, but I'll still buy it, listen to it several times, go to a gig if possible, and enjoy the fact that the band which got me into music is still going on after all these years.

Leave a comment:

• hipster doofus
    replied
    The man's voice is what it is. In the dozens of times I've seen him, some have been mind blowing incredible, others have been down right terrible. No one will be quicker to point that out than Ozzy himself. You can tell by the look on his face on stage that he genuinely still loves what he does. More than anything, I appreciate his being humble about it. I've heard him apologize on stage. I've also watched him from the front row, slam his mic down and walk off stage in frustration. What happened? 18,000 people stood jaw dropped, then began chanting his name until he came back out. He apologized again, then played passed curfew with a 5 song encore. He does with what he has been given. It's been that way for a long time and he still has a massive, massive audience.

You either go, let loose and have some fun with him or you don't. If it's that much of an issue, stay home and save your dough. Plenty of other people would love to go in your place. As far as "ruining a legacy," the only people that should be concerned about it are the 4 men themselves. It's their reputation on the line, not our t-shirt's.

Leave a comment:

• OZZYIRONMAN
    replied
    Ozzy sounded very good in Toronto one year ago. If you want perfection then attend an Adelle show with your wife.
    Last edited by OZZYIRONMAN; 11-16-2011, 08:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Monster Boy
    replied
    Originally posted by Drago View Post
    Ozzy vocally sounded amazing up until 1996. I am not quite sure what happened (even though I believe he had a grand mal seizure around that time) but he has sounded fine in the studio. I think between 90 - 96 especially were very strong vocal years for Ozzy. Listen to Ozzmosis, he sounds amazing and that was before Auto Tune.
    I had never heard about the seizure, but that would explain some things. I agree that his voice was great then. I saw him on tour in Dec 95 and was blown away both by his voice and his silly but effective stage antics (only time I have seen any Sabbath related concert). All reports I have heard that his voice is better lately seems to be contradicted by Youtube evidence of his last tour. Still sounds like he slurs all his words and has the range of about a major sixth, if that.

*Edit*: I went on Youtube and searched a bit more. He definitely sounds better than he did in the waning years of Ozzfest. Absolutely sounds like an old man, but one that can sing pretty well in tune most of the time and can even hold a note here and there. Search around a bit, you'll see.
    Last edited by Monster Boy; 11-16-2011, 07:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Drago
    replied
    Ozzy vocally sounded amazing up until 1996. I am not quite sure what happened (even though I believe he had a grand mal seizure around that time) but he has sounded fine in the studio. I think between 90 - 96 especially were very strong vocal years for Ozzy. Listen to Ozzmosis, he sounds amazing and that was before Auto Tune.

Of course they are using Auto Tune on his voice now. You can't find a mainstream album created in the last 10 years that doesn't have a little it on it. I am sure even TDYK has some Auto Tune on the vocals. People act like Ozzy uses it like Kanye West. He will sound just fine on what is going to be an amazing record. Tony has been saying for a while now that he has come up with some amazing music over the last year and half. I can't wait.

Leave a comment:

• cwilder86
    replied
    My take on all of this as someone who only probably about 6 months ago was HEAVILY opposed to a Mk. 1 reunion and why I changed my mind about it... There is an album involved. That's a BIGGIE for me. (As long as nothing goes wrong to prevent that album from happening *knock on wood*). And even if there wasn't an album. Yes it would suck, but it's not going to stop the fact that THIS REUNION IS HAPPENING and no matter how badly one may wish for it to not happen. Another realization that I came to is I'm young and never have had the opportunity to see Sabbath live. I wasn't around in the 70's, and I was born in the mid 80's so obviously I wasn't able to see any Sabbath line ups during that time either. I want to see Sabbath live. Any line up of it. And well this is obviously one of the better ones. The best in the opinions of a lot of people. Plus, I think you've being too hard on Ozzy's voice as many have been reporting that he's not doing too bad in the vocal department these days at all.

Leave a comment:

• WarningRules
    replied
    Originally posted by Sporkman GB View Post
    I would agree that the album has potential for ruining their legacy, (if it's bad) except for one thing: the original band's last album was Never Say Die, which was a great album, but only Sabbath fans really like it;
    Good point, but I'm talking about Black Sabbath as a whole, not just the Ozzy era.

Leave a comment:

• Monster Boy
    replied
    While I agree that Ozzy's vocals have gone in the toilet, and it's like he's singing while gurgling a mouthful of toilet water, what makes me a little hopeful is the unique combination of personalities this reunion affords. The four of them used to have amazing chemistry writing music together. Imagining they can find that magic again or discover some new kind of magic may be like hoping the 1982 Washington Redskins will get back together and win another super bowl, I know. But they are still, when it comes right down to it, the same four guys at their core, and this is music, not a contact sport. If they can reach down into that core and resummon the mysterious fifth member, they have a shot at making something great. And if the material is great, so what if they have to use a bit of judiciously applied auto-tune?

Leave a comment:

• Sporkman GB
    replied
    I would agree that the album has potential for ruining their legacy, (if it's bad) except for one thing: the original band's last album was Never Say Die, which was a great album, but only Sabbath fans really like it; it really had no hits, kind of failed on the charts, had mixed critical reception, etc. So by adding a new album to their repertoire, the only people they could dissapoint is the huge fans, but they could also make their 9th album something incredible and add to their legacy, so for me, little harm done.

Leave a comment:

• Totentanz
    replied
    Originally posted by WarningRules View Post
    Perhaps I was being overzealous. Maybe I should have said something along the lines of 'Ozzy is going to suck on this album. I wish his voice was better, and I certainly hope that he doesn't ruin this album for me (which he has the potential to do)'.

I think ending Sabbath with the death of Dio would have been best. Having said that, if the world tour is in fact 'massive', then I certainly hope that they make a stop in Halifax.
    Totally get where you're coming from, Ozzy's vox haven't really blown me away since about 1983. But I'd still rather they gave it a shot. This may well bring out the best of him, perhaps it's where he belongs, will put him in his element.

Leave a comment:

• Van Sabbath
    replied
    This is an awesome thing man. Correct me if i'm wrong but I don't think most people were expecting something of this level. A new studio album and a massive tour! Even if the new album isn't very good, the original 8 albums aren't going anywhere. I also agree that the original 4 should end the Sabbath story so if this is the final tour ever then i'm glad the MK1 lineup finished it, if not then more Sabbath for us to enjoy!

Originally posted by Josef_K View Post
    No, TDYK is NOT the second best Dio-era "Sabbath" album, it is fourth best.
    Agreed with that as well for me. The Devil You Know is very good but at the same time the album comes off as kind of bland to me for some reason. The other 3 are listened to much more.

Leave a comment:

• Buffalo Bill Scruggs
    replied
    Can't say I agree with ya, WarningRules. This album's gonna kick ass. So is the tour. I predict it.

Leave a comment:

• mds
    replied
    I would speculate that the time they spent this summer playing live together allowed them to work out any kinks and they came to the conclusion that all 4 were physically up to the challenge of recording an album and going on tour. As for the writing and recoeding process hopefully they hashed that out as well. In reading Tony's biography it is clear that while he is capable of taking control he prefers interaction and contribution from the likes of Geezer, Bill, and Ozzy. If that occurs I think we will get a nice coda to the Sabbath story.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X