Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't be fooled by greatness, and not know it's great...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Don't be fooled by greatness, and not know it's great...

    (After reading the Forums for so long, I have to set the record straight.)
    Fact: IOMMI aka SABBATH
    Fact: Sabbath has 26 studio CDs, we’re waiting for #27
    Fact: I am the head of the listen, 50 people strong, a yr. and a ½ in, we are on the 20th chapter, will start with chapter 1 again in mid 2013

    On a 1-10 scale, all of the greatest music falls at a 5; Rush 2112, Iron Maiden Killers, Tesla Bust A Nut, Queensryche Operation Mindcrime, Nightwish Once, TSO NightCastle, Badlands Voodoo Highway, Ozzy Diary of Madman, Dio Strange Highways, Rainbow Rising, Deep Purple Machine Head, Led Zepplin Two, Black Label Society Hangover Music Volume VI, Jerry Cantrell Degradation Trip, Alice In Chains Dirt, AC/DC Highway to Hell, Judas Priest Screaming For Vengeance, Patty Barber Verse, Beatles White Album, Third Day Revelation, Hans Zimmer Gladiator, Garth Brooks Sevens, Beethoven Ninth Symphony, etc…

    There are no bands or music at 6,7,8 or 9 on this 1-10 scale, showing the major separation Sabbath has above all others! All Sabbath Live CDs, compilations, bootlegs, imports, extras, deluxes, boxes, alternate takes, alternate tracks (BS extra verse, Walpurgis, Caravan Love Lyrics, Weevil Woman, Sometimes I’m Happy, National Acrobat Take 1, Blow On a Jug, Rock N Roll Doctor Ian Gillan, Junior’s Eyes David Walker, Lady Evil Mono, Mob Rules Alternate, Fallen, Smoke on the Water Live,Trashed 2006, No Stranger to Love Alternate, Star of India Fenholt, No Way Out Donato, Ray Gillan Live, Strange Kind of Woman, Black Moon Early Version, Ray Gillan Eternal Idol, Cloak and Dagger, Sabbath Stones Alternate Mix, Bad Blood, The Next Time, Halford Live, What’s the Use, Loser Gets It All, Not the Same, Psychoman Alternate Mix, whole lotta sabbath, Bastard, Something Wicked This Way Comes, Time is the Healer, Let It Down Easy, The Innocence, Slip Away, Wonderful Land, Mirhana, I Spy, GOD Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, Holy Water, etc…) All 10s, all fall within one of the 26 chapters. There is one era of Sabbath, not Ozzy, not Dio, not Ian, not Glenn, not Martin, simply the IOMMI ERA aka Sabbath, and it is all AMAZING, every single note. The least greatest Sabbath song FX, for me is leaps and bounds more musically significant than any other song by any other artist. Top 25 songs, make your own list if you wish:
    25. GOD Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
    24. Time is the Healer
    23. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
    22. Let It Down Easy
    21. Bible Black
    20. Sweet Leaf
    19. Computer God
    18. Dopamine
    17. Johnny Blade
    16. Flame On
    15. Wicked World
    14. Lonely Is the Word
    13. Behind the Wall of Sleep
    12. Danger Zone
    11. Walpurgis
    10. When Death Calls
    9. Goodbye Lament
    8. Lord of this World
    7. Fairies Wear Boots
    6. Zero the Hero
    5. Sabbath Stones
    4. Nightmare
    3. Buried Alive
    2. National Acrobat
    1. Symptoms of the Universe/Kill In the Spirit World

    Studio Albums (The 26 studio albums all have new material that does not fall into the above mentioned categories.), make your own list if you wish:
    26. Reunion
    25. Who Cares
    24. Dio Years
    23. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
    22. The Devil You know
    21. Volume IV
    20. DEP Sessions
    19. Technical Ecstasy
    18. Forbidden
    17. Mob Rules
    16. Never Say Die
    15. Cross Purposes
    14. 8th Star
    13. Paranoid
    12. Tyr
    11. 7th Star
    10. Eternal Idol
    9. Heaven and Hell
    8. Black Sabbath
    7. Fused
    6. Born Again
    5. Master of Reality
    4. Dehumanizer
    3. Iommi
    2. Headless Cross
    1. Sabotage

    Now to my original point, on the 1-10 scale, Sabbath is so great we need to add 1 to 5 stars, and 1 to 3 pluses to show the small separation between these masterpieces, and you already know where all other great music falls:
    (In order of release, the 26 studio albums only, as we wait for the 27th studio album)

    1. Black Sabbath- 10 4 star triple plus
    2. Paranoid- 10 4 star triple plus
    3. Master of Reality- 10 5 STAR!!
    4. Volume IV- 10 4 star
    5. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath- 10 4 star
    6. Sabotage- 10 5 STAR!!
    7. Technical Ecstasy- 10 4 star single plus
    8. Never Say Die- 10 4 star double plus
    9. Heaven and Hell- 10 4 star triple plus
    10. Mob Rules- 10 4 star double plus
    11. Born Again- 10 4 star triple plus
    12. 7th Star- 10 4 star triple plus
    13. Eternal Idol- 10 4 star triple plus
    14. Headless Cross- 10 5 STAR!!
    15. Tyr- 10 4 star double plus
    16. Dehumanizer- 10 5 STAR!!
    17. Cross Purposes- 10 4 star triple plus
    18. Forbidden- 10 4 star double plus
    19. 8th Star- 10 4 star triple plus
    20. Reunion- 10 3 star double plus
    21. Iommi- 10 5 STAR!!
    22. DEP- 10 4 star single plus
    23. Fused- 10 4 star triple plus
    24. Dio Years- 10 3 star double plus
    25. Devil You Know- 10 4 star
    26. Who Cares- 10 3 star double plus
    27. ????- almost certain it will be a 10 or beyond… GOD Bless!!

  • #2
    Originally posted by JESUS-SAVES View Post
    The least greatest Sabbath song FX, for me is leaps and bounds more musically significant than any other song by any other artist.
    Really? Wow... Are you honestly saying that the song FX – a two minute recording of Iommi bouncing a crucifix on his guitar strings – is more of an artistic statement than ANYTHING ELSE EVER RECORDED, EVER? Sorry, I find it incredibly difficult to comprehend or even believe such a viewpoint.

    There are plenty of threads on this forum for rating and comparing music for those who care enough to do so (and by the look of it, you really, really do!). But I feel like I'm missing something here...

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Destino View Post
      Really? Wow... Are you honestly saying that the song FX – a two minute recording of Iommi bouncing a crucifix on his guitar strings – is more of an artistic statement than ANYTHING ELSE EVER RECORDED, EVER? Sorry, I find it incredibly difficult to comprehend or even believe such a viewpoint.
      He said least...
      Still I wonder what its like to be loved, instead of hiding in myself...

      Comment


      • #4
        I know, read the sentence again: "The least greatest Sabbath song FX, for me is leaps and bounds more musically significant than any other song by any other artist." I interpret that to mean that he/she can think of no song ever written (other than those by Sabbath) that is of higher musical importance than FX. Just think about that for a moment.

        Comment


        • #5
          Is the topic creator, who I think it is?

          Comment


          • #6
            I don't know, who do you think it is?

            Comment


            • #7
              So FX or Blow on a Jug is musically better than Beethoven's 9th symphony? Not only better, but SO much better they cannot even be put on the same scale? I know musical tastes are all subjective, but hey?

              The blood runs free
              The rain turns red
              Give me the wine you keep the bread

              Comment


              • #8
                bad acid? is smokin and trippin all that you do?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Destino View Post
                  I don't know, who do you think it is?
                  I don't recall any of his nicknames, but he used to post here claiming that Sabbath songs had all sorts of hidden messages and other strange things in them if I recall.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I think if Sabbath is 10, then from 0 to 9 must6 be empty. The greatest music, like Beethoven and Mozart, should start at the highest around -500. Then The Beatles at -1000, and hip hop at -100000000000. Something like that!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Factoid.. "FX" is not a song, just because it has a title doesn't make it one... totally rediculous thread...
                      "Music is so sacred to me that I can’t hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
                      R. Blackmore

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Well i'd like to see where Black Sabbath can start to compete with Bob Dylan and the Beatles. Maybe then i'd do a list.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Axeman77 View Post
                          Well i'd like to see where Black Sabbath can start to compete with Bob Dylan and the Beatles. Maybe then i'd do a list.
                          Beatles is fantastic, but I could live in a world without Dylan. Well, Baez wrote "Diamonds And Rust" about him, so he has done something interesting, although indirectly.
                          "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
                          "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
                          "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by -E5150 StarWanderer- View Post
                            Beatles is fantastic, but I could live in a world without Dylan. Well, Baez wrote "Diamonds And Rust" about him, so he has done something interesting, although indirectly.
                            nah i'm sorry, but there wouldn't bands like black sabbath without, I'm pretty sure everyone knows i'm obsessed with bob on here, and i hardly ever come on here because i go on the bob dylan forums, but thats beside the point...if it wasn't for songs like hollis brown, north country blues, we wouldn't have that dark imagery that bands like black sabbath have.i'm not saying you have to or should like him, i understand he's a very acquired taste. But come on, no one has done anything with music like Bob dylan, he changed everything, know one had a 6 minute hit single before Like a rolling stone.
                            People say his voice is shit, why i don't know, he's got the most beautiful voice ever commited to tape, no one has the emotion he does, he puts it into every song, every word, every phrase. And for people who really don't think he can sing, they need to listen to the Rolling Thunder tour from 1975. trust me, you won't doing any harm,
                            Please if you get a chance listen to these

                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnY18LRYRhQ
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz652...eature=related

                            Sorry if i come off as a complete dick, i'm just trying to explain. And sorry for turning the thread into a bob dylan thread.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Axeman77 View Post
                              nah i'm sorry, but there wouldn't bands like black sabbath without, I'm pretty sure everyone knows i'm obsessed with bob on here, and i hardly ever come on here because i go on the bob dylan forums, but thats beside the point...if it wasn't for songs like hollis brown, north country blues, we wouldn't have that dark imagery that bands like black sabbath have.i'm not saying you have to or should like him, i understand he's a very acquired taste. But come on, no one has done anything with music like Bob dylan, he changed everything, know one had a 6 minute hit single before Like a rolling stone.
                              People say his voice is shit, why i don't know, he's got the most beautiful voice ever commited to tape, no one has the emotion he does, he puts it into every song, every word, every phrase. And for people who really don't think he can sing, they need to listen to the Rolling Thunder tour from 1975. trust me, you won't doing any harm,
                              Please if you get a chance listen to these

                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnY18LRYRhQ
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz652...eature=related

                              Sorry if i come off as a complete dick, i'm just trying to explain. And sorry for turning the thread into a bob dylan thread.
                              Listening to Shelter From The Storm now, I still hear an incompetent vocalist. Some intonation issues, and overall rough vocals. It might fit his simplistic, down to earth music, but it just doesn't work for me.

                              And as for Dylan changing the music world, I'm nt so sure about that. I don't hear that dark imagery you brought up, atleast musically. But he was a very untypical lyricist for his time, I give him that.

                              And no worries, you could make a strong argument that it was I who sidetracked this thread by answering to your post This is a trivial thread anyway, so our little conversation brought some substance to it if anything
                              "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
                              "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
                              "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X