Vol 4 - 40 Years after

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vol 4 - 40 Years after

Here is a look at the volume 4 album for it's 40th anniversary. Would like to here what you all think of the album, memories, and a look at a behind the scenes report on the album I've done so far. With some very rare photos included. Any feedback is welcomed!!!
    http://edtradernet.weebly.com/volume-die.html
    Pain and Poison Roses

May of 1972 and the band is on a plane to America. LA was chose [chosen] as the place to record the forth [fourth] album. Looking for better studios, cheapier [cheaper] cost [costs], and some tax benefits. Over to the lucious [luscious] Bel Air area a house was rented to the visiting musicians. [better wording would be: The visiting musicians rent a house in luscious Bel Air.]
    I only read the first paragraph but I'm thinking maybe a spell checker and a good proof read?
    In the fields the bodies burning, as the war machine keeps turning.

Comment

Originally posted by WallOfSleep View Post
      I only read the first paragraph but I'm thinking maybe a spell checker and a good proof read?
      Thanks for the input and reading WOS.
      Thats the first draft, I'll be working on proof reads tomorrow.
      How does the look of the layout look, photos hold up, anything information wise, etc etc
      Pain and Poison Roses

Comment

Edtrader, fantastic work again!!!

All ur work is great, love what u did with heaven n hell/mob rules, and now this on volume 4, thanku keep up the great work....

God bless

Comment

Very interesting read. Great video and live versions of the songs. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by EDTRADER View Post
            Thanks for the input and reading WOS.
            Thats the first draft, I'll be working on proof reads tomorrow.
            How does the look of the layout look, photos hold up, anything information wise, etc etc
            The layout is great! The pictures are really cool (Vol.4 was the "bearded period" I guess!)
            For some reason with my browser (IE9) the three you-tube videos at the bottom of the page are stacked on top of one another. Other than that it looks awesome!
            In the fields the bodies burning, as the war machine keeps turning.

Comment

nice! how do i get the vol 4 commercial off the writ? can't read the paragraph it's over. Do you have a PS3? you should make a Sabbath theme.
              "Too many people advising me, but they don't know what my eyes see." ~ The Writ

Comment

While I love most of the compositions, it's probably my least-favorite Sab album. I hate the way the amps were mic'd, I hate the cracked-sounding splash on Bill's kit, these tunes largely sound like demos to me (not all, but most). Not a lot of concentration, mind on the nose candy rather than on performances, it just doesn't have the total destroying crush that the others have. That being said, Laguna Sunrise is probably my fave track on it.

I know it won't be a popular opinion, but hey, you asked.

All the best,
                PAULIE
                http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-UoulA6r90n...ill%2Bward.JPG

Comment

Vol 4

Its A Good Album But Not A Great One In The Sabbath Canon But It Does Have Some Really Good Songs Such As Snowblind &Supernaut

Comment

Originally posted by Paulie 88 View Post
                    While I love most of the compositions, it's probably my least-favorite Sab album. I hate the way the amps were mic'd, I hate the cracked-sounding splash on Bill's kit, these tunes largely sound like demos to me (not all, but most). Not a lot of concentration, mind on the nose candy rather than on performances, it just doesn't have the total destroying crush that the others have. That being said, Laguna Sunrise is probably my fave track on it.

I know it won't be a popular opinion, but hey, you asked.

All the best,
                    PAULIE
                    I was actually listening to Vol.4 today and wondered the production values too. Drums are quite over powering on many songs, and the distortion on guitars sounds papery. But the mixing and production seems to vary throughout the album. For an example, Wheels Of Confusion sounds quite dirty and thin, while Supernaut sounds fuller. Maybe they were experimenting with different miking techniques or something?

The material itself is great, but I like the first three, SBS and Sabotage a lot more than Vol. 4. Songs like St. Vitus Dance, Wheels Of Confusion and Changes aren't exactly my favorites.
                    "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
                    "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
                    "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Comment

They produced the album themselves, thinking that they knew enough to do the album. Both Bill and Tony have said that might not have been the best idea.
                      Pain and Poison Roses

Comment

They produced the album themselves because the producer they had didnt know what he was doing. It was a work in progress. They had to learn themselves as they went along. They partied alot too. They had too much coke, liquor and women.

Comment

Funny thing is... I randomly decided to listen to Volume 4 on the anniversary day! I had Supernaut in my head for whatever reason (well... it's an awesome song ) and decided to crank out the vinyl.

Cool thing there indeed... already 40 years.

Comment

Enjoyed the review, my favourite album, with both my favourite (Under the Sun) and least favourite (Changes) song by the band. For me this album is the end of the journey of phase 1 of mark 1 Black Sabbath, and in my opinion was the peak of that phase. Also the pictures in the booklet and gatefold sleeve are some of my favourites of the band. I thought though the song Bill had trouble with was Supernaut ?

Comment

40 years on and there still isn't anything quite as "Godzilla stamping on you" HEAVY as "Under The Sun"
                              Watch all european soccer streams: http://watchfootballstreamlive.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X