Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Album Called "13"

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
    Here it is!!!!!!! Tell me this doesn't sound like DAMAGED SOUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think Sabbath ripped it off!!!!!!!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgGvJq3HRRI
    I like this a lot. Both songs are using the well worn blues riff/run in an almost identical fashion, but I think Sabbath just edge it with an edgier performance and better fast bit?

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
      Here it is!!!!!!! Tell me this doesn't sound like DAMAGED SOUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think Sabbath ripped it off!!!!!!!

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgGvJq3HRRI
      I think I give the original version the slight edge over the Sabbath version. A touch grittier, but both are great, and get the feet moving. The original sounds a bit like the Black Crowes.
      Last edited by Now in Darkness; 02-14-2014, 10:39 AM.
      Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
        Here it is!!!!!!! Tell me this doesn't sound like DAMAGED SOUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think Sabbath ripped it off!!!!!!!

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgGvJq3HRRI
        Quite similar main riff. Interesting!

        Maybe this is one of the things Rubin played for them?

        But isn't "Damaged Soul" basically taken from an improvisation?
        "It is not opinion that Ozzy peaked on Sabotage, it is a measurable fact."
        -WTB

        Comment


        • I too was thinking Rubin may have been aware of it and played it for them saying "try something like this..."
          "Music is so sacred to me that I can’t hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
          R. Blackmore

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
            Here it is!!!!!!! Tell me this doesn't sound like DAMAGED SOUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think Sabbath ripped it off!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgGvJq3HRRI
            How did i know this would come up again.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
              I too was thinking Rubin may have been aware of it and played it for them saying "try something like this..."
              Rubin said that this emerged from one of their mandatory jams (that he insisted on) and that it was revisited and made into a song.
              Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
                I too was thinking Rubin may have been aware of it and played it for them saying "try something like this..."
                Its the blues, im sure there are lots of similar songs

                Comment


                • Originally posted by OZZYIRONMAN View Post
                  Its the blues, im sure there are lots of similar songs
                  I'm tongue in cheek when I say they ripped it off, but the similarity is a little too close for comfort.... it's not typical blues, not traditional... your right that all blues are similar but the 2 songs are so close in style and format, start out doomer slow, pick it up in the end, harmonica... one can't help but think one of them may have bene a ware of it and wrote a similar tune around it...
                  "Music is so sacred to me that I can’t hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
                  R. Blackmore

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
                    I'm tongue in cheek when I say they ripped it off, but the similarity is a little too close for comfort.... it's not typical blues, not traditional... your right that all blues are similar but the 2 songs are so close in style and format, start out doomer slow, pick it up in the end, harmonica... one can't help but think one of them may have bene a ware of it and wrote a similar tune around it...
                    Untrained ears I admit but its not a blatant rip if you ask me. Plus vocally its completely different.

                    Im not even sure how anyone involved with 13 would have even heard this song. It came out in July 2011 and only has 47,000 views currently.
                    Last edited by OZZYIRONMAN; 02-14-2014, 12:31 PM.

                    Comment


                    • I'm not worried, it's the same notes as a million other songs I know and Sabbath did tempo changes and harmonica first anyway

                      Gary Numan liked a very different cover version of one of his songs so much that he started playing that version in his live sets. A DJ did a remix of another song, a good one too longer with a lot more light and shade and that's the version NUman plays now too.

                      Influence and inspiration isn't a linear thing, music goes in circles.

                      PS Go and check out some Canned Heat, they bridged the gap between trad blues and rock first and best I think. And ripped off songs mercilessly.

                      Comment


                      • Later non-classic lineup, but you'll see what I mean.

                        Comment


                        • Some folks sound like they need another listen to "Damaged Soul."

                          It goes through quite a bit of development, as opposed to a riff played loud, then lower during the vocals then loud again.

                          It's the riff and the harmonica that give this song a similar flavor, but those elements are only a portion of what Sabbath was going for in the end. "Damaged Soul" is not really all that similar in its structure. It's got an opening riff, then switches to chords behind the verse, then the main riff, the chords, an alternate verse ...
                          "It is not opinion that Ozzy peaked on Sabotage, it is a measurable fact."
                          -WTB

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by PTC View Post
                            PS Go and check out some Canned Heat, they bridged the gap between trad blues and rock first and best I think. And ripped off songs mercilessly.
                            The Bassist here says it all. The total euphoric embracing that characterize both Blues, Rock and Metal (imo)

                            95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
                            Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Billy Underdog View Post
                              The Bassist here says it all. The total euphoric embracing that characterize both Blues, Rock and Metal (imo)
                              It's awesome stuff this. Canned Heat are one of my favourite bands.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by PTC View Post
                                It's awesome stuff this. Canned Heat are one of my favourite bands.
                                I take it you can guess i'm a fan of the Woodstock-movies, and CH are without a doubt one of the better performances there. Sadly i've never gone much past that show (and Going Up and On The Road ofcourse), they've just ended up on that list of 1(x amount of 0's) that is to be checked out that famous "one day"...
                                95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
                                Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X