New Album Called "13"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by -E5150 StarWanderer- View Post
    That being said, I understand Ron Paul in the sense that Ozzy's vocal melodies were usually more tied to the riffs than Dio's and Martin's were. And no, I don't mean that he followed the riff in unison like he did in the likes of N.I.B. and After Forever, but that Ozzy generally tends to come up with melodies that sort of move "in synch" with the guitar parts. It's hard for me to explain this, but I hope you all are getting what I mean Oh, I'd like to add that it's probably one of the reasons for his uniqueness and success!
    I agree fully, and I attribute this to Ozzy's unique style, which was also a key part of the recipe for his success. An example: Vocal: "Going home, late last night; suddenly, I had a fright"; the music closely follows the vocal, or vice versa on this song. I have referred to the early Sabbath as sinister sounding, and I consider that a strength. This was achieved in large part because of Ozzy following/ mimicking the music, which has a taunting quality to it, not to mention the sneering vocal style that he employed. It was the perfect formula for accentuating Tony's riffs and bringing the songs to life. You can literally hear the bubbling caldrons of the abyss boiling in the background, as Ozzy grins from ear to ear and screams "Yaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh". I hope the interplay between Tony and Ozzy is reflected in the new album, as it will be a key ingredient to revitalizing their past success, IMHO.

Originally posted by -E5150 StarWanderer- View Post
    In the end all that matters is this: I think Ozzy's melodies were much more memorable, impressive - and most importantly - fitting for Sabbath than Martin's were. Not that I don't like the material with Martin, but aside from the few elite tracks the songs were nothing exceptional or groundbreaking.
    Agreed. I really think that they started to click on Tyr, and although I don't mind the theme (Odin, et al), I felt that it was a little contrived. Overall, Martin was somewhat forgettable and not the best fit, but I do think that Tyr was the high water mark for Martin fronted Sabbath.

If the new album is as good, with the Ozzy style to it, I won't be too disappointed.

Originally posted by ZepHead View Post
    Not to get your hopes up but don't anticipate anything better than that solo in the upcoming album.
    I would not be disappointed in the least if there was material on the new album was good as this. Hughes, I am not fond of, but Tony's work is great. I do have to say, though, that Ozzy's vocal style lends itself to a different type of song than this.
    Last edited by Now in Darkness; 02-17-2013, 08:36 PM.
    Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

Comment

• Just to clarify, we are not going to sift through 5 weeks of posts to cherry pick all the garbage out. We removed a ton of them, everyone should be on the same page moving forward.

And in doing so, by comparing some of the band comments leading up to "13" as compared to "The Devil You Know", I feel like there has really been much more positive feedback from Mike X and band members regarding what Tony is bringing to the recording sessions. His new riffs seem to be talked about in glowing terms all over the place, and even though we heard positive things during "TDYK" production, I'm really expecting to hear what they are all talking about this time. I know some people who have a near-death experience or lengthy cancer fight and come away with new perspectives. Maybe Tony is in that zone right now. Then again, Ozzy has had about a dozen near-death experiences over the last decade, so who knows how it all might mark the new music. I wonder what their take is on it, its definitely a question for the first press conference, for sure.
      Damian
      Super Moderator
      Black-Sabbath.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Damian View Post
        Just to clarify, we are not going to sift through 5 weeks of posts to cherry pick all the garbage out. We removed a ton of them, everyone should be on the same page moving forward.

And in doing so, by comparing some of the band comments leading up to "13" as compared to "The Devil You Know", I feel like there has really been much more positive feedback from Mike X and band members regarding what Tony is bringing to the recording sessions. His new riffs seem to be talked about in glowing terms all over the place, and even though we heard positive things during "TDYK" production, I'm really expecting to hear what they are all talking about this time. I know some people who have a near-death experience or lengthy cancer fight and come away with new perspectives. Maybe Tony is in that zone right now. Then again, Ozzy has had about a dozen near-death experiences over the last decade, so who knows how it all might mark the new music. I wonder what their take is on it, its definitely a question for the first press conference, for sure.
        That indeed would be a great question! I can fully imagine that some of the music that Tony's writing now will be heavily influenced by both his own struggle with cancer and the death of Ronnie. I do ponder which way it will manifest, will there be even heavier and doomier stuff than ever before or more melancholical softer and sadder stuff.
        Another thing is Geezer's lyrics. From the past we know that he likes to incorporate current events both personal and world wide to his lyrics so I'm sure there are some stuff that has come from Ronnie's passing and from Tony's struggle...atleast in part.
        I have to say I'm really looking forward to finding out about these things.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charger View Post
          That indeed would be a great question! I can fully imagine that some of the music that Tony's writing now will be heavily influenced by both his own struggle with cancer and the death of Ronnie. I do ponder which way it will manifest, will there be even heavier and doomier stuff than ever before or more melancholical softer and sadder stuff.
          Another thing is Geezer's lyrics. From the past we know that he likes to incorporate current events both personal and world wide to his lyrics so I'm sure there are some stuff that has come from Ronnie's passing and from Tony's struggle...atleast in part.
          I have to say I'm really looking forward to finding out about these things.
          Geezer said the lyrics are all about death, but unlike the old days when there was still hope, there is no hope in these lyrics.
          Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Now in Darkness View Post
            Geezer said the lyrics are all about death, but unlike the old days when there was still hope, there is no hope in these lyrics.
            This time Geezer's lyrics may be deeper than ever. I'd enjoy reading his lyrics though.
            Do you hear the thunder raging in the sky?
            Premonition of a shattered world thatís gonna die.
            In the age of reason, how do we survive?
            The protocols of evil ravaging so many lives?

Comment

• [QUOTE=Charger;313611]That indeed would be a great question! I can fully imagine that some of the music that Tony's writing now will be heavily influenced by both his own struggle with cancer and the death of Ronnie. I do ponder which way it will manifest, will there be even heavier and doomier stuff than ever before or more melancholical softer and sadder stuff.
              QUOTE]

Tony has already acknowledged in the updated version of Iron Man that his bout with cancer has led to some very dark riffs. Whether or not those make it to the album remains to be heard.

Comment

• Here is a little bit of news. Looks like Jack Osbourne is filming the recording sessions. This is cool news.
                http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=791282
                Religion won't save me
                The damage is done
                The future has ended
                Before it's begun
                - Damaged Soul - Black Sabbath

Comment

• Originally posted by mds View Post
                  Originally posted by Charger View Post
                  Tony has already acknowledged in the updated version of Iron Man that his bout with cancer has led to some very dark riffs. Whether or not those make it to the album remains to be heard.
                  Well that's cool! I hope some of them make it to the album!

Comment

• I said this before, but no one in Iommi's generation, not Page, Clapton, Blackmore... Beck, has consistantly over the past 40 yrs put out heavy hard metal rock like he has... all the others have pretty much "mellowed out", not Tony, and though you can argue whether this or that should have been under the BS Flag or not, you can't argue that he has consistantly put out top quality hard rock, heavy metal... since 1969...

---------- Post added at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

Originally posted by Monster Boy View Post
                    There have been a few people here saying their biggest worry about the new album will be Ozzy's melodies and use of effects. In contrast, my biggest worry is what the music will sound like, coming from a man who hasn't written anything of note for decades (yes, that's Tony Iommi I'm talking about). True opinion there, no amplification or trolling, but I get the sense some will view it as such. Please realize I'm just being honest about what I think of the music Iommi has created "recently" (for 30 years or so). Maybe being back with his old mates has been a true inspiration, we'll see.
                    Why Monster, I'm shocked you would say this??!!!! Tony's put A+ heavy rock out consistantly since the original band broke up 35 yrs ago... I hope you're just looking for some attention, because surely you don't believe this do you? Iommi is one of the most melodic riffer, I stand corrected, THE MOST melodic riff master in R&R History, his body of work is unprecedented, particlarly when you stand it up to his contemporaries... The Martin era, Fused... all high quality stuff, maybe not worthy of the "BLACK SABBATH" tag, but that's not the argument here...

---------- Post added at 02:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 PM ----------

Originally posted by turch118 View Post
                    This is what I was hoping TDYK was going to be like. Got a feeling the new Sab album will be more like this...I love tempo changes...like the old days!
                    Great album, almost ingnored by the music industry and press... I think the Ozzy reunion over shadowed it, it never got the due it deserved.. Am I Going Insane is one of his all time great pieces and solos....
                    Last edited by Wicked Cricket; 02-18-2013, 01:16 PM.
                    "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
                    R. Blackmore

Comment

Well that's cool! I hope some of them make it to the album!
                      Why the hell wouldn't they be on the album?

Comment

• Originally posted by Drago View Post
                        Here is a little bit of news. Looks like Jack Osbourne is filming the recording sessions. This is cool news.
                        http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=791282
                        Maybe they will make it like Metallica's Death Magnetic sessions?

Comment

• Originally posted by OZZYIRONMAN View Post
                          Why the hell wouldn't they be on the album?
                          Because clearly there is no knowlage that they will be...just because Tony's wrote some dark riffs in the last year or so doesn't mean the wouldn't make it on the album...the man had 3cd's worth of riffs before the writing began for heaven's sake! Think before posting please.

Comment

Because clearly there is no knowlage that they will be...just because Tony's wrote some dark riffs in the last year or so doesn't mean the wouldn't make it on the album...the man had 3cd's worth of riffs before the writing began for heaven's sake! Think before posting please.
                            Maybe all the new songs have dark riffs? Rick Rubin should love to put them on the album to recreate the 1970's vibe.

Comment

Oops I forgot that it'll be an acoustic album

Comment

• Originally posted by LouiST View Post
                                Maybe all the new songs have dark riffs? Rick Rubin should love to put them on the album to recreate the 1970's vibe.
                                Now that would be cool...but maybe it would lack versatilty then...I'd be all for a really dark album though with a 70s feel.

Comment

Working...
                                X