No announcement yet.

New Album Called "13"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I doubt very much that this is relevant to the subject of the album title, but I thought it quite interesting. Found on Wiki.

'Personal life
    Wilk has mentioned a weird connection to the number 3 throughout his life, and little "3"'s are plastered all over his drumkit, and as well as in the liner notes for Rage Against the Machine's third album, The Battle of Los Angeles. In an interview with Modern Drummer Wilk said "Ever since I was eight or nine I've gravitated to the number three. It's something that has always been a really heavy number for me. It's tattooed on my arm, and I count in threes. Everyone in school was taught two, four, six, eight, ten- I'd count in threes in the way I'd walk, even in the decisions I'd make. It was all based on threes," and also incorporates 3 into his playing.'

Comment

Love the title, no title at all was my prediction and preferance originally, just call it Black Sabbath, but "13" is great... we don't need a tacky 80 ish cartoonish title like "Eat All The Children" or some other crappy trying hard to be "badass" ...with a cartoon maskot... "13" shows taste, class, nothing less for the Masters...

It's going to be epic! Not rushed, thought out, rehearsed... written, re-written, worked out, you name... this one is going to be a classic!
      "Music is so sacred to me that I cant hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
      R. Blackmore

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
        Love the title, no title at all was my prediction and preferance originally, just call it Black Sabbath, but "13" is great... we don't need a tacky 80 ish cartoonish title like "Eat All The Children" or some other crappy trying hard to be "badass" ...with a cartoon maskot... "13" shows taste, class, nothing less for the Masters...

It's going to be epic! Not rushed, thought out, rehearsed... written, re-written, worked out, you name... this one is going to be a classic!
        Now that's more like it.

Comment

I seriously don't understand why people are getting their asses in a twist over the album name. Seriously? I wouldn't care if the album was called "Come Take a Bite of Satan's Bag 'o D*cks", as long as the music appeals to me. Just goes to show you that people will complain about anything.

And as far as the Bill Ward thing? I can't tell you how much of an influence Bill has been on my life as a drummer. I very much wanted him on the album, if not the tour. But he's not - move on! I thought Kenny Aronoff would be a fantastic addition, but I'm happy with Brad Wilk. He's a good, solid drummer and a heavy hitter. I think he can groove and swing like the old Sabbath stuff. I'm looking forward to it. Who knows? He may inject some much needed energy into the band...
          Good Beer is the perfect blend of Art & Science.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post

I have my fears about the quality of the music but totally agree with the rest. Black Sabbath has nothing to do with the "cartoonish 80s" (well put). "13" is by far better than anything with hell, demons, goblins, devils or princes of darknesses.
            Wilk is also a good choice, at least "on paper".

Comment

Great choice, Rage ATM and Audioslave, he a sound choice, young, strong, 45 yrs old, heavy but he can swing...
              "Music is so sacred to me that I cant hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
              R. Blackmore

Comment

I hope Rick Rubin doesn't screw up the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by ZepHead View Post
                  I hope Rick Rubin doesn't screw up the sound.
                  I second this. My only concern so far.
                  Do you hear the thunder raging in the sky?
                  Premonition of a shattered world thats gonna die.
                  In the age of reason, how do we survive?
                  The protocols of evil ravaging so many lives?

Comment

I have complete confidence in Brad Wilk and look forward to hearing him on the album. He comes from a humble background and falls more to the meat & potatoes side of drumming than the flashy show off side and his three biggest influences are Bonham, Moon, and Elvin Jones all of which bodes well. His work in Audioslave also shows him having a great musical relationship with the bass player. He also uses a smaller 4-5 piece kit, which hints toward more groove/feel oriented playing than fills and flash.

He's also a practicing vegetarian which gives him and Geezer more in common than just music.

I agree with the whole Rick Rubin question though. I'm hoping he's going to let them sound like Sabbath, rather than his version of Sabbath.
                    Last edited by MRM45; 01-14-2013, 10:21 AM.
                    Good Beer is the perfect blend of Art & Science.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                      Very surprised that nobody has noted that the first album was released Friday, February 13, 1970.
                      I certainly thought about it. I checked my calender straight away to see if there's a Friday 13th in June, but there isn't.
                      >>TECHNICINS F SPCE
                      SHIP ERTH THIS IS
                      YR CPTIN SPEKING
                      YR PTIN IS DEA˝D<<

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Paul View Post
                        Half a year away. I'm not going to get excited now, and probably not even later unless I hear some new samples to convince me otherwise. Iommi's work since Forbidden has been a no-no to me and Ozzy much less so.
                        This, to an extent. I wasn't impressed with The Devil You Know. It just seemed bland and generic. They say it sounds like the old Sabbath sound, but I'll keep my hopes low until I hear something that actually does. It's very hard, with all of the high quality production tools available to them now, for them to sound like they did back in the day, when production quality was lower. It added a certain character to their sound.

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 PM ----------

Originally posted by EDTRADER View Post
                        1. Black Sabbath
                        2. Paranoid
                        3. Master Of Reality
                        4. Volume 4
                        5. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
                        6. Sabotage
                        7. Technical Ecstasy
                        8. We Sold Our Souls For Rock N Roll
                        9. Never Say Die
                        10. Live At Last
                        11. Reunion
                        12. Past Lives
                        13. New album
                        I'm not sure if it's fair to count Live At Last because it was unofficial and because it was included as part of Past Lives. Also if you count We Sold Our Soul for Rock 'n' Roll, then you'd have to count every other compilation album they've released including The Collection, The Sabbath Stones, The Best of Black Sabbath, and so on.
                        -rar

Comment

Originally posted by Ady View Post
                          I checked my calender straight away to see if there's a Friday 13th in June, but there isn't.
                          I did too, and was very bummed. The next one's in September, which ofcourse would be way too long to wait.
                          But it would be just as cool if they released it on February 13th still, regardless if it's a wednesday. Exactly 34 years after the "beginning".
                          (This was all just general pointless musings, i know the album won't be out until June, and i'm able to wait. It'll be like christmas in the summer )
                          95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
                          Til rs ok friar ok forn sir

Comment

I like the title just fine, and it sure beats an artificially "evil"-sounding name as someone else already alluded to.

As for Megadeth:

(Snip - Removing a huge negative rant. Yes, it was Bill-related.)

Life is short,
                            PAULIE
                            Last edited by Paulie 88; 01-14-2013, 10:00 PM.
                            http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-UoulA6r90n...ill%2Bward.JPG

Comment

To me, this record is no more or less special than any record in Sabbath's discography. I can get over Bill not being on board, but what pisses me off is all the "oh this is the first real Sabbath album since 1978" shit. Because... well: it's not. It's simply another album released by 4 musicians acting under the name Black Sabbath, like Cross Purposes or any other.
                              http://www.twitter.com/daniarrow

Comment

I am excited about the new album and hope Brad wilk does tour with the band.

Comment

Working...
                                X