No announcement yet.

New Album Called "13"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At the risk of getting shut down for not talking about 13, I've always really liked A Hard Road (it's got it's own unique groove) and the others mentioned here from NSD, though there are some unsuccessful experiments on the album as well. Really looking forward to 13 and the tour, keeping an eye out for tour announcements.
    Last edited by invisible man; 03-10-2013, 09:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by invisible man View Post
      At the risk of getting shut down for not talking about 13, I've always really liked A Hard Road (it's got it's own unique groove) and the others mentioned here from NSD, though there are some unsuccessful experiments on the album as well. Really looking forward to 13 and the tour, keeping an eye out for tour announcements.
      I agree ! A Hard Road is one of few good songs on that album but the thing that annoys me is that people seem to hate that song and like the crappy songs instead.

Comment

• ^^^ Breakout, dudes! Second best after Junior's eyes. And the rocky pop-tunes Shock Wave, Air Dance, Over To You and Swinging The Chain are good fun. NSD and Hard Road isn't bad either.

But it's really unfair to compair the new album to NSD, it's been 35 years and ALOT of alcohol and coke since then, and as we know, none of them really had their mind in the right place in '78.

As for Sharon and the cash-cow, i'm moving that discussion over to Now In Darkness' all-purpose thread: http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/show...555#post315555
        Last edited by Billy Underdog; 03-11-2013, 12:51 AM.
        95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
        Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Comment

• Glad to see Sabbath shares my view of NSD... the worst Ozzy era BS album by a long shot... except for the title track, which is an "ok" 3 min speeder... only Jr's eyes and Hard Road sound good to me... Johnny Blade is the most overrated song on this album, and Sabbath's catalog, the production on that song in particular sounds dreadfull, Iommi's solo is one of the worst he's ever recorded... and synth on it really dates it... Sabbath was falling apart and Disco and Punk were mainstream, Sab's were "old hat" by '78-'79... I can only chuckle (and sige..) when I hear some hear say they hope it sounds like NSD..??!!!
          "Music is so sacred to me that I can’t hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
          R. Blackmore

Comment

• Im not saying i want the new album to sound like nsd, but i do like it with the exception of Breakout
            Last edited by OZZYIRONMAN; 03-11-2013, 08:54 AM.

Comment

• Something suddenly hit me (and it wasn't a fist this time.. ). The Sabs, especially Ozzy, say how much they hate NSD!, or atleast how poor they think it is. But it seems like for the upcoming tours they mostly use the NSD!-cover pilot for promo-material. Isn't that a bit of a paradox?

Last edited by Billy Underdog; 03-11-2013, 10:44 AM.
              95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!

Comment

• Yea I just commented on this very subject under BS General, S. America tour... I said the the same thing, why are they using the NSD cover for posters??!!! Like minds eh.... yikes that's scary!
                "Music is so sacred to me that I can’t hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
                R. Blackmore

Comment

• Originally posted by Billy Underdog View Post
                  Something suddenly hit me (and it wasn't a fist this time.. ). The Sabs, especially Ozzy, say how much they hate NSD!, or atleast how poor they think it is. But it seems like for the upcoming tours they mostly use the NSD!-cover pilot for promo-material. Isn't that a bit of a paradox?

Even Iron Man wears it...
                  Do you hear the thunder raging in the sky?
                  Premonition of a shattered world that’s gonna die.
                  In the age of reason, how do we survive?
                  The protocols of evil ravaging so many lives?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
                    Like minds eh.... yikes that's scary!
                    For me or for you?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
                      Glad to see Sabbath shares my view of NSD... the worst Ozzy era BS album by a long shot... except for the title track, which is an "ok" 3 min speeder... only Jr's eyes and Hard Road sound good to me... Johnny Blade is the most overrated song on this album, and Sabbath's catalog, the production on that song in particular sounds dreadfull, Iommi's solo is one of the worst he's ever recorded... and synth on it really dates it... Sabbath was falling apart and Disco and Punk were mainstream, Sab's were "old hat" by '78-'79... I can only chuckle (and sige..) when I hear some hear say they hope it sounds like NSD..??!!!
                      I think Iommi's solo on "Johnny Blade" is utterly brilliant.

As far as the synth intro, I think it is sensational. Don Airey had a really unique sound going on and obviously Ozzy loved it because "Mr. Crowley" seems to have followed a similar path.

One thing about Never Say Die! is that it has not been treated well on CD, at all. The original vinyl really shows the kind of sound Iommi was going for, but the CD versions all seem to add treble, which is NOT what the album needs. It was already pushed to the limit with treble and the CDs end up sounding thin.

Despite internal conflicts and personal struggles, I think Never Say Die! is one of the most fascinating rock albums ever recorded. It's not a question of whether it is "great" by Sabbath standards. Instead, it's like you're peaking into the demise of one of rock and roll's most innovative bands, and the sonic paintings they were coming up with are still full of imagination despite there being a certain lack of enthusiasm. Everybody plays their asses off and Ozzy comes up with some of his most haunting vocal melodies.

The problem with the album for many is that it's just too damn sophisticated. Too darned progressive. They can't "relate" to it. Sabbath are fucking smart musicians. You have to understand that. They keep it in check and are humble, but some of the ideas pulled off on NSD would give bands like Yes or Genesis a run for their money.

If the new album is as adventurous as songs like "Shock Wave" or "Air Dance," I'll be surprised. But then, given the reaction of even some of their own fans to NSD, I suspect that it will not be an album that provides any inspiration for the new album.
                      "It is not opinion that Ozzy peaked on Sabotage, it is a measurable fact."
                      -WTB

Comment

Something suddenly hit me (and it wasn't a fist this time.. ). The Sabs, especially Ozzy, say how much they hate NSD!, or atleast how poor they think it is. But it seems like for the upcoming tours they mostly use the NSD!-cover pilot for promo-material. Isn't that a bit of a paradox?

I've been wondering this myself. There would be so many better options for the posters and promos than that god awful "pilot" thingy....but I seriously doubt the band has anything to do with that...promoters and managers choose those.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charger View Post
                          I've been wondering this myself. There would be so many better options for the posters and promos than that god awful "pilot" thingy....but I seriously doubt the band has anything to do with that...promoters and managers choose those.
                          Yes I think your right, promoters choose the postersI don't believe the band has anything to do wit this...

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 PM ----------

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                          I think Iommi's solo on "Johnny Blade" is utterly brilliant.

As far as the synth intro, I think it is sensational. Don Airey had a really unique sound going on and obviously Ozzy loved it because "Mr. Crowley" seems to have followed a similar path.

One thing about Never Say Die! is that it has not been treated well on CD, at all. The original vinyl really shows the kind of sound Iommi was going for, but the CD versions all seem to add treble, which is NOT what the album needs. It was already pushed to the limit with treble and the CDs end up sounding thin.

Despite internal conflicts and personal struggles, I think Never Say Die! is one of the most fascinating rock albums ever recorded. It's not a question of whether it is "great" by Sabbath standards. Instead, it's like you're peaking into the demise of one of rock and roll's most innovative bands, and the sonic paintings they were coming up with are still full of imagination despite there being a certain lack of enthusiasm. Everybody plays their asses off and Ozzy comes up with some of his most haunting vocal melodies.

The problem with the album for many is that it's just too damn sophisticated. Too darned progressive. They can't "relate" to it. Sabbath are fucking smart musicians. You have to understand that. They keep it in check and are humble, but some of the ideas pulled off on NSD would give bands like Yes or Genesis a run for their money.

If the new album is as adventurous as songs like "Shock Wave" or "Air Dance," I'll be surprised. But then, given the reaction of even some of their own fans to NSD, I suspect that it will not be an album that provides any inspiration for the new album.
                          Well, I don't think we're ever going to agree here, but Iommi had the rugs torn out and replaced in that "cold" studio" more than once while trying to find a decent sound, and that's in his book Iron Man...and that was my opinion way back in '79 when th ealbum came out. it sounded, "cold" .. flat.. as for the solo, I think it out and out sucks, I'm a amatuer guitar player myself and long time guitar lover, and that solo just does nothing for me, emotionally & definitly sound wise, the first thing my friends and I who started listening to Sabbath in 1972 said when we heard NSD.. "boy, they sound... different...???? And we didn't mean ina good way..
                          I understand why and where they were trying to go here on NSD.. they were trying to stay relevent, musically... they didn't know that phase II of Hard Rock, or the Heavy Metal era was about to begin... their sound was being heralded as DEAD and Pase'... good riddence, as far as the musical critics were concerned...they were a band on the "way out" whether Ozzy had stayed or not... the breakup was the best thing for both sides, they wouldn't have survived in the 80's... they eventually would have reunited maybe sooner, but the split ultimatly was the ebst thing for them, the music was starting to suffer...

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

Originally posted by Billy Underdog View Post
                          For me or for you?
                          Whatta you think? LOL! Don't answer that..
                          Last edited by Wicked Cricket; 03-11-2013, 12:11 PM.
                          R. Blackmore

Comment

^^^ Breakout, dudes! Second best after Junior's eyes. And the rocky pop-tunes Shock Wave, Air Dance, Over To You and Swinging The Chain are good fun. NSD and Hard Road isn't bad either.

But it's really unfair to compair the new album to NSD, it's been 35 years and ALOT of alcohol and coke since then, and as we know, none of them really had their mind in the right place in '78.

As for Sharon and the cash-cow, i'm moving that discussion over to Now In Darkness' all-purpose thread: http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/show...555#post315555
                            Thank you Billy Underdog, and we might need a Never Say Die thread as well.
                            "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                            "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                            ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

After the "Avengers" movie came out, with Tony Stark (Iron Man) wearing this shirt the entire movie, The sales of this T-shirt sky rocketed.

I'm sure they are just jumping on that. I for one really like it.
                              www.downtrendmetal.com

Comment

• I'm not a gambler, but I would bet anything that "13" will be much better than NSD!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X