New Album Called "13"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Charger View Post
    I've been wondering this myself. There would be so many better options for the posters and promos than that god awful "pilot" thingy....but I seriously doubt the band has anything to do with that...promoters and managers choose those.
    I agree with the last part of this^^^^

I like the gas mask image compared to some of the other imagery that has appeared on Sabbath album covers over the years, such as Dehumanizer. Ironically, I have found that half of NSD sounds better when listened to with a gas mask on.

Sorry, NSD lovers. I love half the album! Junior's Eyes is amazing. Let's hope that the gas mask image doesn't allude to the quality of the new album.
    Last edited by Now in Darkness; 03-11-2013, 01:37 PM.
    Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Now in Darkness View Post
      I agree with the last part of this^^^^

I like the gas mask image compared to some of the other imagery that has appeared on Sabbath album covers over the years, such as Dehumanizer. Ironically, I have found that half of NSD sounds better when listened to with a gas mask on.

Sorry, NSD lovers. I love half the album! Junior's Eyes is amazing. Let's hope that the gas mask image doesn't allude to the quality of the new album.
      I think it has a message to it, like the saying never say die, they are back together after 35 years with a new album, so like the old saying goes, never say die! Hence the use of their last album cover as a message.
      Last edited by OzzyIsDio; 03-11-2013, 08:33 PM.
      "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
      "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
      ________Sabbath Forever, Forever Sabbath!______OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
        Well, I don't think we're ever going to agree here, but Iommi had the rugs torn out and replaced in that "cold" studio" more than once while trying to find a decent sound, and that's in his book Iron Man...and that was my opinion way back in '79 when th ealbum came out. it sounded, "cold" .. flat.. as for the solo, I think it out and out sucks, I'm a amatuer guitar player myself and long time guitar lover, and that solo just does nothing for me, emotionally & definitly sound wise, the first thing my friends and I who started listening to Sabbath in 1972 said when we heard NSD.. "boy, they sound... different...???? And we didn't mean ina good way..
        I understand why and where they were trying to go here on NSD.. they were trying to stay relevent, musically... they didn't know that phase II of Hard Rock, or the Heavy Metal era was about to begin... their sound was being heralded as DEAD and Pase'... good riddence, as far as the musical critics were concerned...they were a band on the "way out" whether Ozzy had stayed or not... the breakup was the best thing for both sides, they wouldn't have survived in the 80's... they eventually would have reunited maybe sooner, but the split ultimatly was the ebst thing for them, the music was starting to suffer...
        You're right that we're never going to agree.

I've played guitar for 32 years but that has little to do with anything as everyone hears things in his own manner. To me, the solo in "Johnny Blade" is outstanding. Full of angst, menace and sharp, piercing melodic lines.

I think Iommi as a soloist on NSD was simply out of this world. His solo on "Junior's Eyes" is so beautiful I'd put it up against anything. The modulations are absolutely beyond belief and he has that guitar literally crying as it soars through space. Fucking epic. And his solos on "Shock Wave" and "Air Dance" are some of the most blindingly difficult, yet melodic solos ever put to tape by a rock guitarist, IMO.

One can argue about the quality of the "songs" on NSD, but to me, it's a brilliant album in its own right, even if hardly up to the standards of the first six albums. In a way, NSD kind of predated the arrival of prog-metal but it also has a certain sadness in some of the ideas that is just compelling listening if one knows the Sabbath story up to that point. Ozzy's vocal melody for the chorus of "Junior's Eyes" is worth the price of admission alone. If you listen to what Dave Walker was doing with it (which was already great) but then hear Ozzy's idea it is just flat out "genius" in my book.

Back to the new album ...
        "It is not opinion that Ozzy peaked on Sabotage, it is a measurable fact."
        -WTB

Comment

• Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
          I think it has a message to it, like the saying never say die, they are back together after 35 years with a new album, so like the old saying goes, never say die! Hence the use of their last album cover has a message.
          Hmmm, yes, I think you are on to something here. Well done. I also note that this image was used on the very last album to feature Ozzy (NSD), so there is an aspect of picking up where they left off and starting anew. Perhaps the retro gas mask image, as used today, signifies "The end of the beginning".
          Last edited by Now in Darkness; 03-11-2013, 03:02 PM.

Comment

• Blabbermouth just posted a new story on Sabbath is the studio today and it mentions that Bill 'spent a year writting the new album with Sabbath' before his departure.

This is the first time I have heard that. Can anyone shed any light on this or is it just Blabbermouth absurdity?

I'd feel a little more confident in this release if Bill at least had some input as this suggests....

Comment

• Originally posted by Dio View Post
              Blabbermouth just posted a new story on Sabbath is the studio today and it mentions that Bill 'spent a year writting the new album with Sabbath' before his departure.

This is the first time I have heard that. Can anyone shed any light on this or is it just Blabbermouth absurdity?

I'd feel a little more confident in this release if Bill at least had some input as this suggests....
              Maybe Bill will be involved in the new album someway.
              "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
              "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

Comment

• Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
                Maybe Bill will be involved in the new album someway.
                I don't think so. Doesn't the removal of Bill's photos from the official website speak for itself?

Comment

• Originally posted by ZepHead View Post
                  I don't think so. Doesn't the removal of Bill's photos from the official website speak for itself?
                  Yeah you're right I forgot about that, wishful thinking I guess.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZepHead View Post
                    Possibly, but not necessarily in a finite sense. The removal of Ward's photos was very likely as a result of the business end of things. When Richard Wright (rest in peace) was fired by Pink Floyd in 1979 (primarily by Watters), nobody expected him to ever return. They were wrong, and the relationship between the four (quasi) original Floyd members (excluding Syd Barrett) was far more adversarial than the original Sabs appears to be. Did anyone ever actually expect to see Ozzy back in the band?!?! The lads have been very careful about this topic, and have not engaged in verbal battle in the media over the absence of Ward; this leaves the gate wide open for a future relationship with him. By not spreading manure, and by not publicly engaging their egos, the lads have not placed themselves in an intractable position. I do sincerely believe that Bill will be back in some capacity, eventually, whether as a full time member for the next album, or by gracing us with his presence at various tour stops. There is too much history between these guys for this not to work itself out, eventually, especially noting that Bill did actually want to be part of this venture at one point. The seemingly aggrieved party, and the person with most reason to sling mud (Bill Ward), has been extremely quiet and respectful about this topic, which leads me to believe that he also sees opportunity for the future. He could easily have sealed his fate with some strategically placed media turd bombs, but he did not, that I am aware of.

Never say never. Never say die.
                    Last edited by Now in Darkness; 03-11-2013, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Possibly, but not necessarily in a finite sense. The removal of Ward's photos was very likely as a result of the business end of things. When Richard Wright (rest in peace) was fired by Pink Floyd in 1979 (primarily by Watters), nobody expected him to ever return. They were wrong, and the relationship between the four (quasi) original Floyd members (excluding Syd Barrett) was far more adversarial than the original Sabs appears to be. Did anyone ever actually expect to see Ozzy back in the band?!?! The lads have been very careful about this topic, and have not engaged in verbal battle in the media over the absence of Ward; this leaves the gate wide open for a future relationship with him. By not spreading manure, and by not publicly engaging their egos, the lads have not placed themselves in an intractable position. I do sincerely believe that Bill will be back in some capacity, eventually, whether as a full time member for the next album, or by gracing us with his presence at various tour stops. There is too much history between these guys for this not to work itself out, eventually, especially noting that Bill did actually want to be part of this venture at one point. The seemingly aggrieved party, and the person with most reason to sling mud (Bill Ward), has been extremely quiet and respectful about this topic, which leads me to believe that he also sees opportunity for the future. He could easily have sealed his fate with some strategically placed media turd bombs, but he did not, that I am aware of.

Never say never. Never say die.
                      They are really old. I think this album is it

Comment

• Originally posted by OZZYIRONMAN View Post
                        They are really old. I think this album is it
                        Not so loud! The Stones or McCartney might hear you.

I'm sure this has been posted already, but I stumbled upon Bill's statement, which clearly alludes to contractual issues as the basis for his departure. This was the first time that I have actually heard it from Bill, FWIW:

“I would love nothing more than to be able to proceed with the Black Sabbath album and tour, however, I am unable to continue unless a ‘signable’ contract is drawn up; a contract that reflects some dignity and respect toward me as an original member of the band. Several days ago, after nearly a year of trying to negotiate, another ‘unsignable’ contract was handed to me. If I sign as-is, I stand to lose my rights, dignity and respectability as a rock musician.” (Bill Ward).
                        Last edited by Now in Darkness; 03-11-2013, 10:33 PM.

Comment

• I would love to see Bill back with the band for an album after this one. If he can get his shit together. And if Tony can beat this cancer thing. If they do record one last album, i wont expect a tour because they will all be nearing 70. Its possible. The thing im worried about is I hope Iommi will be well enough to tour and properly promote 13. I hope he can get through a full tour. :(

Comment

Not so loud! The Stones or McCartney might hear you.
                            This is where there should be a smiley bowing down in the dust for you

This is not the last album, and Bill will be back. THIS IS NOT THE LAST ALBUM, AND BILL WILL BE BACK!!!
                            95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
                            Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Comment

• Originally posted by Dio View Post
                              Blabbermouth just posted a new story on Sabbath is the studio today and it mentions that Bill 'spent a year writting the new album with Sabbath' before his departure.

Tony alluded this in the revised version of Iron Man. Whether or not any of Bill's writing contributions are actually used remains to be heard. The proof will be in any writing credits assigned to the songs included on 13.

Comment

• BS's writing credits have always included all 4... so I imagine this time it's Iommi/Osbourne/Butler... unless Bill did contribute on some and they use his name but I'm not betting on that.
                                "Music is so sacred to me that I can’t hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
                                R. Blackmore

Comment

Working...
                                X