New Album Called "13"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Now in Darkness View Post
    The DVD will be comprised of the "In The Studio" releases that we have seen.
    I'm eager to check that out. I love those 'making of' bonus footage bits. Especially something as momentous as the new Sabbath record.

As for disc 2, anything additional is bound to be worth checking out. I doubt it would happen for legal issues, but it would be cool if some of the Bill Ward rehearsed stuff made it onto disc 2. Supposedly Sabbath rehearsed with Bill for a better part of year prior to the 11.11.11 announcement. I wonder if they recorded any of it... Even if it's rehearsal stuff with Brad Wilk, I'm still down with it. Cheers.
    Last edited by hand of 'schrooms; 03-18-2013, 03:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
      Agree, Euro, Asian, "World" sales were better than the US, but serioisly, #13 or #12 in the UK is like saying #13 in New Hampshire.... the US is THE market, if you aren't selling there, your not going to last long, WB's the Sab's parent record label ended up dropping them once the last contracted album was delivered, 7th Star... in reality the split between Ozzy and the band was the best thing to happen to both of them, but clearly, Ozzy easily came out much stronger.... as good as H&H and Mob Rules were, BS couldn't touch Ozzy in terms of record sales, live tours$ or popularity... and the divide would only get deeper in sales as Iommi continued to drag multiple faceless bands out parading them as "Black Sabbath".

I did say they could still draw a live corwd, but the NSD tour was greatly aided by a new WB band called Van Halen, who were blowing them off the stage every night, at least the Press saw it that way...
      Sabbath sold out like 30 dates in the UK before even announcing that Van Halen were on the tour in 1978. But then I guess bands tour the UK and sell albums there for little to no reason according to you.

There are also plenty of people out there who saw the US shows who dispute that the band were getting "blown off stage." Some people always want to root for an "up and coming" act to upstage a "headliner," but thanks to recorded evidence, it's clear that the band were often still kicking all out ass on the 1978 shows. Heck, one of those guys on That Metal Show said he saw them at MSG in '78 and nobody even knew Van Halen's tunes and that Sabbath were excellent that night. I've always thought people love to exaggerate about that tour as it helps to tell the "Sabbath story," if you will. They were down and out, it was over, then bang, they came back with H&H. Not that there isn't some real truth to that, but come on ... what are we saying? Bands headlining freaking Madison Square Garden are "down and out?"

Anyway ... I really don 't follow where this is going, but I can tell you that Sabbath were still very big in the US during the 1980-1982 Dio years. Taking so long to put out Live Evil hurt, and by then Ozzy's solo career had really taken off, but in the long run I think Sabbath retained more credibility in terms of not becoming too "commercial." Even with all of the lineup changes, Iommi had a certain standard to which he subscribed. I think that's pretty clear.
      Last edited by Jeff; 03-18-2013, 05:24 PM.
      "It is not opinion that Ozzy peaked on Sabotage, it is a measurable fact."
      -WTB

Comment

• Originally posted by Billy Underdog View Post
        Both reassuring and worrying stuff there. I mean, only 9 tracks to be used? But, as they said:

Or maybe atleast an EP with the leftovers could be cool. I don't like the idea of using all 7 extra tracks as different bonuses, that would end up with having to buy damn many different editions...

But then there's this:

I hope that about this being the last album is something the journalist conjured up, and not something hinted by Oz or Geez.

But it truly sound like it's going to be a magnificent album!!!
        Let's wait to see how good the album is before we go saying "more more!". That being said, I'm glad we're actually receiving any album at all.
        -rar

Comment

• Originally posted by hand of 'schrooms View Post
          I'm eager to check that out. I love those 'making of' bonus footage bits. Especially something as momentous as the new Sabbath record.

As for disc 2, anything additional is bound to be worth checking out. I doubt it would happen for legal issues, but it would be cool if some of the Bill Ward rehearsed stuff made it onto disc 2. Supposedly Sabbath rehearsed with Bill for a better part of year prior to the 11.11.11 announcement. I wonder if they recorded any of it... Even if it's rehearsal stuff with Brad Wilk, I'm still down with it. Cheers.
          May have been theorised earlier, but might the second disc be composed of the tracks that didn't make the album? It may be they thought they were good enough, but they didn't fit on the album for stylistic/narrative reasons.
          Just a thought.

Comment

• I think the second disc will be the studio jams to previously released music

Comment

Well, I speak for myself but I don't believe for 1 min. Rick Ruben and Tony/Ozzy/Geezer are going to release anything that's only "half as good as Tech Extasy and NSD.." I surely would be very dissapointed if that's all we got, the half as good as the downward slide that BS was on the last couple of Ozzy albums 34 something years ago... ??? I should hope not!
              Hehe, obviously I think those albums are great, maybe not as great as Sabotage but they have their stronger moments, at least they were more interesting as follow-up albums than making the same album twice (did someone say "Paranoid"? No seriously, that's a great album too of course but... yeah...).

Originally posted by nunoni View Post
              there simply would be no point for the "original 3" to return to the most awful phase of Black Sabbath. They're going to do something good, not some de-evolution into the worst of their past. If anything, we're expecting something more like the first albums!
              Eh? Wait, so you are not expecting some de-evolution, but you are expecting something like the first three albums. What would you call that? Evolution? :S

Personally, I'd be happy if they try to make some new interesting music, just like they did with TE after Sabotage. I don't consider an album a failiure if I like the previous album more, I consider it a failiure if it doesn't sound different enough, in that case I might just as well listen to the previous album.
              Last edited by Josef_K; 03-19-2013, 04:46 AM.
              "I am the crazy man who lives inside your head, but I think I'm breaking through the wall... You are the innocent convicted of the crime, no one was ever there to catch you when you fall" (1992)
              -Ronnie James Dio, Rest in Peace

"In the summer days we flew to the sun, on melting wings, but the seasons changed to fast, leave us all behind... Blind..." (1969)
              - Jon Lord, Rest in Peace

My first album!!!:
              http://open.spotify.com/album/60jv1AdlWvi1KlcR8JhG4b

Comment

• It was slick and less dark than the Sabbath of the first 6 so I can understand how fans might not like it for its progressiveness
                I get what you mean by 'progressiveness', but Sabbath could have done that without the outcome of an overall wimpy album

---------- Post added at 03:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 AM ----------

Originally posted by OZZYIRONMAN View Post
                I think the second disc will be the studio jams to previously released music
                What makes you think that? Only asking...........

Comment

• Originally posted by hand of 'schrooms View Post
                  That's interesting, 'cos I always liked 'Technical Ecstacy' much better than 'Never Say Die!'. 'Never Say Die!' is more lethargic compared to 'Technical Ecstacy'. There's some strong songs on there that get bogged down by keyboards ("You Won't Change Me", "Backstreet Kids", "Dirty Women", "It's Alright") or strings ("She's Gone"), but it still holds up better as an album for me than 'Never Say Die!'. "Breakout" makes me wanna lapse into a coma, "Johnny Blade" freaks me out for some reason and, other than "Over To You", the title track and "A Hard Road", I don't tend to play the album much. Ozzy's vocals aren't all that inspired.

There's no way Sabbath would release a clunker of an album at this point. Let the doubting Thomas' think the album will be only so-so, so we can watch 'em all eat their words as they too get blown away by '13'. Just the fact that vibe-wise it harkens back to the first three albums is what has me excited. The Rodger Bain produced stuff, recorded all in a matter of hours or days, still sounds fresh: timeless.

I too am gonna pre-order the super deluxe version. '13' will be the first, brand new album release I'll be getting on vinyl in a dog's age. That, and I am psyched to see what's on disc 2 as well as on the dvd!

Me too.. TE blows NSD away, Iommi's guitar solos are the best he had ever done up to that point, he self admitted in an interview at the time, that he "had his technique down" soloing...other than R&R Dr., I like every song... it's the true "progressive" Sabbath album that still "delivers it", unlike NSD, which fell apart half way through... Sabbath was definitly going forward in a Progressive style, like I said, in '79, all things regarding hard rock were looking pretty bleak... Rolling Stoned reviewed the album and said the guitarist "wore asbestos gloves when soloing...!" I like every song... I only like about half of NSD...
                  Last edited by Wicked Cricket; 03-19-2013, 08:37 AM.
                  "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
                  R. Blackmore

Comment

Me too.. TE blows NSD away, Iommi's guitar solos are the best he had ever done up to that point, he self admitted in an interview at the time, that he "had his technique down" soloing...other than R&R Dr., I like every song... it's the true "progressive" Sabbath album that still "delivers it", unlike NSD, which fell apart half way through... Sabbath was definitly going forward in a Progressive style, like I said, in '79, all things regarding hard rock were looking pretty bleak... Rolling Stoned reviewed the album and said the guitarist "wore asbestos gloves when soloing...!" I like every song... I only like about half of NSD...
                    Hi. I'm with you about 'Never Say Die!'. I too can only hack about half of the album. I actually don't mind some of the keyboards on 'Technical Ecstacy': they work during "You Won't Change Me", for example. Even the flourishes during "Backstreet Kids" and "Dirty Women" work. Yeah: Tony's playing on 'Technical Ecstacy' is stellar. That whole outro to "Dirty Women" is brill. Peace.

Comment

• Originally posted by joebrice1992 View Post
                      For those who pre-ordered, is the money taken out immediately or taken out nearer the time of release? I'd like to preorder the deluxe but I'm not payed till next month. cheers
                      It will be deducted from your account once it is ready to ship.
                      "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                      "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                      ________Sabbath Forever, Forever Sabbath!______OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

• Now that I think about it, the two most possible content of the second disc are:

1. the remaining songs composed during the session but didn't make it to the first disc
                        2. recording of last year's Birmingham/Download/Lollapalooza gig
                        Do you hear the thunder raging in the sky?
                        Premonition of a shattered world thatís gonna die.
                        In the age of reason, how do we survive?
                        The protocols of evil ravaging so many lives?

Comment

• Originally posted by LouiST View Post
                          Now that I think about it, the two most possible content of the second disc are:

1. the remaining songs composed during the session but didn't make it to the first disc
                          There could also be some interview tracks. But it's more likely the first option, maybe one or two songs that didn't make it to the album.

Comment

• Originally posted by joebrice1992 View Post
                            For those who pre-ordered, is the money taken out immediately or taken out nearer the time of release? I'd like to preorder the deluxe but I'm not payed till next month. cheers
                            Normally when buying from Amazon, money goes out around the same time as it's dispatched.

However, I ordered from the Sabbath site on Thursday 14th. Money was gone from my account by Monday 18th. And you're in the UK, same as me. Although I reckon it's the same worldwide.

Comment

• Originally posted by clockwork View Post

I get what you mean by 'progressiveness', but Sabbath could have done that without the outcome of an overall wimpy album

---------- Post added at 03:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 AM ----------

What makes you think that? Only asking...........
                              Just a hunch

Comment

• Originally posted by LouiST View Post
                                Now that I think about it, the two most possible content of the second disc are:

I was thinking it could be studio sessions of them playing old classics with Wilk on drums.
                                Monty Python and the Holy Grail pic extravaganza! http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31523

Comment

Working...
                                X