Ozzy Era BS Free For All. Fill Your Boots:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ozzy Era BS Free For All. Fill Your Boots:

Damian is right, we keep cluttering up the "13" thread, because we are excited, and anticipating the new album; however, in the absence of any real or legitimate news, we keep debating guitarists, tours, and other extraneous stuff. Understandable, given the level of anticipation, but I for one have been penalized for going off topic, as have some of you. I thought that perhaps we could parallel the "13" thread with an open forum thread about whatever you want to talk about. So, to keep us out of the bad books, I have started a free for all here.

The last extraneous discussion in "13" was about Jimmy Page, Tony Iommi, and David Gilmour, and I wrote the below post. I am hoping we can still have an energetic discussion about "stuff" while honoring the intention of the "13" thread. Please carry on and fill your boots. Sorry to the mods for the mess in "13", to which I have contributed, but I think we are all busting at the seams to talk about anything even remotely related........

Originally posted by invisible man
    The other problem (on the Reunion CD at least) is Ozzy acting like a clown and beligerantly baiting the crowd to "go fucking crazy", etc... while the band is executing their masterful classics. I wish he'd have some respect for their instrumental parts and STFU, I'd much rather hear them play than him and/or the crowd yelling. Save it for the Ozzy solo tours dude, but I'm not sure he knows the difference.
    And I think that Tony could only dream of doing some of the things that Page does with the guitar, and vice versa. Each has their strengths, and each is as good as the other for what they bring to the table as individuals. Gilmour has more talent than both of them because he can sing, and has a truly beautiful voice; just have a listen to "Murder" if you get a chance. I cannot wait to see how the boys gel and perform on "13", and the debate about guitarists, ultimately, has no end or agreement.

Thought this interview with Geezer was good. A bit of everything:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YJujLAhPv8
    Last edited by Now in Darkness; 02-25-2013, 09:28 PM.
    Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

Thanks Darkness, I appreciate your initiative. The discussion was a good read, just not in the right place.
    Damian
    Super Moderator
    Black-Sabbath.com

Comment

Now in Darkness, great idea brother!!

Also, yes that's an awesome interview with Geezer, when it came out it was our first taste of real excitement for the new album!!!

And as for my money; Gilmour as talented as he is, and Page as crafty as he can be, neither can hold a candle to iommi in his sleep

God Bless now brother.....

Originally posted by Damian View Post
      Thanks Darkness, I appreciate your initiative. The discussion was a good read, just not in the right place.
      Damian, without doubt a good read, must admit even tho the new album thread should be only about "13" , i actually enjoyed the creative interest it would generate in so many "enjoyable to read" directions , that i kind of wish all those thoughts could havebeen kept alive..... imho Hope your well.

Comment

Originally posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
        i actually enjoyed the creative interest it would generate in so many "enjoyable to read" directions , that i kind of wish all those thoughts could havebeen kept alive..... imho Hope your well.
        Doc, the thoughts and directions are not dead, thats the beautiful thing about discussion. You can resurrect it anytime! Thanks for your concern and well-wishes.

D.
        Damian
        Super Moderator
        Black-Sabbath.com

Comment

It was a really good discussion, I agree. What I don't agree with is some people's desire for guitarists to play the solos live exactly the way they are played on studio albums. I always bring Ritchie Blackmore as an example. You'll never see him play the same solo twice.

Originally posted by BACK TO EDEN
          And as for my money; Gilmour as talented as he is, and Page as crafty as he can be, neither can hold a candle to iommi in his sleep
          Wow, you're talking about three of my favorite guitarists. By the way, Page is just as good as Iommi.
          Last edited by ZepHead; 03-01-2013, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ZepHead View Post
            It was a really good discussion, I agree. What I don't agree with is some people's desire for guitarists to play the solos live exactly the way they are played on studio albums. I always bring Ritchie Blackmore as an example. You'll never see him play the same solo twice.

Wow, you're talking about three of my favorite guitarists. By the way, Page is just as good as Iommi.
            Undoubtedly true, but they are both very different in their styles and approach, so it is a bit like apples and oranges. I love them both very much. Gilmour, on the other hand, is a dark horse in this discussion, but he is probably the most talented of the three, if you include his singing ability. Try this Gilmour vocal masterpiece on for size:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1N84wemDNk

The beauty of three such great guitarists is that there are no losers, and favorites can change from day to day depending on what style meets your needs on any given day of the week. As much as I love Page, and everything he has done, I would like to be assured that his innovative live solos are just him having fun, and not being too lazy to memorize his own studio material. I know I sound like I am bagging on Page, but believe me when I tell you that I fully respect the man. I met him and spent some time with him a while back, and he gained my undying admiration for the way he acted and the time he took out of his day for me. I respect Page, Gilmour and Iommi equally, as they are all amazing, albeit different in their styles.
            Last edited by Now in Darkness; 03-01-2013, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Now in Darkness View Post
              Try this Gilmour vocal masterpiece on for size:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1N84wemDNk
              Listen to this, it's even better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIkW5okTFtg

Comment

I'm a big vinyl collector, and I took some "me" time this afternoon to listen to my original pressing of Master of Reality on vinyl; the way it was made to be heard. What a great album, and what a great way to spend an hour. I think my original promo copy of Mob Rules will be next!
                Last edited by Now in Darkness; 03-05-2013, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Page and Iommi. Chalk and Cheese. (Not saying either one is cheesy though, just very different. )

Hey, folks! Today I listened to "Under the Sun / Every Day comes and Goes" in headphones for perhaps the first time, and not at excruciating volume as I did when I was -- let's say a bit closer to being a kid. Is it me, or is Geezer hitting some notes that are just kind of wrong in the opening sludge riff? I mean, he's Geezer. He can hit any notes he wants, but these just sound a bit off in places. How could I have gone 40 years and not noticed this? Nice up tempo classic Sabbath piece anyway.
                  Please do not read this signature. Thank you.

Comment

Continued from the 13-thread:

Sharon does use Ozzy as her cash-cow, but now when she's earning a bit of money not depended on him with talk-shows and Idol, i guess she's loosened the rains a bit and allowed him to go back to Sabbath. After all, some of what made the whole thing go belly up in the early 2000's was him having to go back and finish Black Rain.
                    Last edited by Billy Underdog; 03-11-2013, 12:50 AM.
                    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
                    Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Underdog View Post
                      Continued from the 13-thread:

Sharon does use Ozzy as her cash-cow, but now when she's earning a bit of money not depended on him with talk-shows and Idol, i guess she's loosened the rains a bit and allowed him to go back to Sabbath. After all, some of what made the whole thing go belly up in the early 2000's was him having to go back and finish Black Rain.
                      $haron Osbourne does use Ozzy as a ca$h cow, the only reason she's allowing Ozzy back with Sabbath is because she see's big bucks in him doing so, it has nothing to do with the fans. Maybe I'm showing my dislike for $haron a little too much.
                      "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                      "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                      ________Sabbath Forever, Forever Sabbath!______OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post

$haron Osbourne does use Ozzy as a ca$h cow, the only reason she's allowing Ozzy back with Sabbath is because she see's big bucks in him doing so, it has nothing to do with the fans. Maybe I'm showing my dislike for $haron a little too much.
                        Yes you are

Comment

Originally posted by OZZYIRONMAN View Post
                          Yes you are
                          I guess I am, regardless I am happy about the new album and it's something I have been waiting for a long time.

By the way I believe Ozzy is doing it for the fans, Sharon is a business woman and a good one at that!
                          "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                          "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
                            By the way I believe Ozzy is doing it for the fans, Sharon is a business woman and a good one at that!
                            I think that even with all the screw-ups he's made over the years (haven't we all, in our own ways?), Ozzy genuinely does care about the people who buy his music and pay to see his gigs. I also believe he'd be the first to admit he hasn't a clue about the business side of the music industry, and probably finds it a colossal headache.

Sharon is certainly not my favourite music industry insider. She's ruthless, often unprincipled, and at times downright childish...but she isn't stupid. After all, look at who she had as a role model.

I don't know if they knew each other, but imagine Don Arden and Peter Grant in the same room.
                            He is not here. He has risen!

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Paul View Post
                              Being Jewish she's also driven by guilt and ambition.
                              Behind every successful man there is a good woman.

Comment

Working...
                              X