Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

God Is Dead production

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God Is Dead production

http://imgur.com/a/5Tt9G

Terrible mastering. What a shame.

I used the version downloaded from iTunes.

Sounds amazing to me and I'm sure it will sound great to most folks. The arrangements are fantastic, the guitar sound is crisp, the bass is full, and ozzy sounds awesome. I love it and I'll buy this a bunch of times thru the years.

Comment

The record will be better, You can't brickwall to vinyl.
      We don’t see things as they are; we see them as we are.

Comment

It's not the first time a Rick Rubin associated album has terrible mastering/production (Death Magnetic, Californication come first to mind - i'm sure there are more).

No surprise here. However in this case, it's not that bad [maybe a bit tad LOUDER for my taste]. I feared a lot worse knowing it would be Rubin in production line.

He does inspire bands in his own freak-ish way, lets them do their thing. I'll give him credit for that tho.
        Last edited by Lolzeyes; 04-18-2013, 08:09 PM.

Comment

That's due to the "Loudness War" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

That's how stuff is mastered and mixed nowadays. It's not Rick Rubin's fault per say, but an ongoing trend in the music business for awhile now.

I despise it personally cause i've never understood why you can't just turn your speakers up if you wanna hear it loud.

Comment

Despite all the whining I heard about Rick Rubin's productions, I love this sound, especially the space/air around the instruments and vocals, and very little compression... sounds like the great records made in the late 60's and early 70's..doesn't sound like a lot of the modern metal junk. I can't say enough about Rick Rubin, thery may have never made this album if it weren't for him, and being a big fan himself, makes it all the better, the recording sessions were in good hands. There's something about Ozzy's melodies that just stick in your head, I can hear them over and over and over...
            "Music is so sacred to me that I can’t hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
            R. Blackmore

Comment

The mixing of music changes continually to sound good on whatever the average person is using to listen. These days it's headphones from our cell phones, or stand alone MP3 players where Dynamic Range doesn't do much good on your average quality headset. Personally I prefer it, because my old CDs before they started doing this sound very weak.

Arena rock evolved into what it is for the same reason. High range is lost on a giant crowd in a loud building.

When the same tracks are released in different formats, where they are not 99% likely to be heard through headphones, they usually aren't dynamically compressed.
              People think I'm insane because I am frowning all the time.

Comment

It sounds fine to me. In the end, your ears are the most important indicator of whether or not something sounds good, not any software.

Comment

It is absolutely great. A down to earth 70-ties vibe but with a crisp and clear sound. Just listen to how much of the stage the bass gets. Spot on for what these guys should sound like in 2013.

Comment

It sounds great on my speakers (the bass is LOUD), but terrible on my iPod.
                    Can you sleep at night, when you close your eyes
                    Do you think of all the pain from your lies
                    Or do you deny, you're responsible
                    For the victims of the sins you devised

Comment

I didnt even think about Death magnetic when listening to God is Dead. I dont think this sounds bad at all. But also keep in mind there was a difference between the D.M. version they delivered the to the Guitar Hero people vs. to the duplication plant. So 13 could sound different in June.
                      The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Comment

I don't think it sound bad, but i certainly don't think it has any kind of 70's sound or vibe. It sounds like Sabbath in 2013, and it sound good. Isn't that really the whole point?
                        95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
                        Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Comment

At least it sounds nothing like Death Magnetic. To me not making things ultra loud means a pass to Rick Rubin.
                          Do you hear the thunder raging in the sky?
                          Premonition of a shattered world that’s gonna die.
                          In the age of reason, how do we survive?
                          The protocols of evil ravaging so many lives?

Comment

Originally posted by LouiST View Post
                            At least it sounds nothing like Death Magnetic. To me not making things ultra loud means a pass to Rick Rubin.
                            I agree, DM sounds cheap compared to this

Originally posted by Billy Underdog View Post
                            I don't think it sound bad, but i certainly don't think it has any kind of 70's sound or vibe. It sounds like Sabbath in 2013, and it sound good. Isn't that really the whole point?
                            I agree 100%, and if you listen carefully im sure Ozzy was running on the spot like he does on stage just for a few words and (if Im correct) it just shows that this album is gonna knock our socks off
                            Originally posted by Soul Sucker View Post
                            It sounds great on my speakers (the bass is LOUD), but terrible on my iPod.
                            i agree, less bass on my crappy headphones but it still sounds good

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Underdog View Post
                              This. I knew what to expect as far as production is concerned, so I wasn't really disappointed. Same goes for song structure and composition. However much I wish Sabbath had have gone back to the vintage style of song structuring, I'm aware of Tony's "doom rut" so didn't lament the fact that the riffs are very post-'90s Iommi.
                              Underdog is right - this is what Sabbath sounds like in 2013, and it's predictable. But it ain't 'alf bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X