Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your first reaction hearing a song called "Megalomania"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your first reaction hearing a song called "Megalomania"?

I love the song.... well we all love the song aren't we?

But, what was your reaction when you find out that there's a song in Sabotage called "Megalomania"?
    Yes.
    MEGA-lo-MANIA.

I had no idea about the meaning of the word, so I was like, "mega", and "mania"! Must be one big kickass song!
    Do you hear the thunder raging in the sky?
    Premonition of a shattered world that’s gonna die.
    In the age of reason, how do we survive?
    The protocols of evil ravaging so many lives?

I was already aware of the word when I bought the album back in 84 (I think this was the 2nd or 3rd non GH compilation I bought). My Dad listened to a lot of Alan Parsons Project and Pink Floyd when I was young, I developed my own taste for artists like that. Something like this that was much heavier but shared the widely varying arrangements was right in line with what I liked. So my first impression was very enthusiastic, I loved all the moods it delves into.

By the time I heard Sabotage one of my all time favorite songs was Diary Of A Madman. This fit right in line with that and other songs I was first hearing from Rush (Trees, Xanadu, 2112) and Iron Maiden (To Tame A Land, Ancient Mariner). I love this and the Writ; they're epics that showed Sabbath could get progressive but still deliver it with plenty of muscle. A lot of times I set both songs to play back to back as one full Sabbath rock opera.
    Last edited by devstorm; 05-01-2013, 03:37 AM.
    The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Comment

Sabotage might be the only Sabbath album that I can clearly recall the first time I heard it, I was blown away completely, having heard most of the Ozzy catalogue already, starting with SBS then going back to the debut and working my way forward in time. I think I may actually have heard TE and/or NSD earlier as well. So as I was blown away by Hole in the Sky and Symptom of the Universe, I was eager to see what they could bring on next. I remember being quite confused by the vocal effects in the beginning, then quickly beginning to like the song and by the time those mega-heavy riffs kicked in it instantly became my favorite song from the band. It still remains in my top 10 to this day, simply a perfect masterpiece!

About the name, I don't think I read the titles while hearing the songs off the CD, I think I just listened through it all without checking which track I was on. So the reaction to the name came later, can't recall what I first thought about it to be honest...
      "I am the crazy man who lives inside your head, but I think I'm breaking through the wall... You are the innocent convicted of the crime, no one was ever there to catch you when you fall" (1992)
      -Ronnie James Dio, Rest in Peace

"In the summer days we flew to the sun, on melting wings, but the seasons changed to fast, leave us all behind... Blind..." (1969)
      - Jon Lord, Rest in Peace

My first album!!!:
      http://open.spotify.com/album/60jv1AdlWvi1KlcR8JhG4b

Comment

I didnt like the song when i first heard it. the only song off Sabotage that blew me away was SOTU! I thought the album was weird. It took me awhile to understand it. I love the song now. I like those crazy sound effects.

Comment

I first heard it on the Past Lives album. Bored me at first but over a few days it really started pulling me in. Now it's one of my faves. Don't know if I knew what Megalomania actually was though.

Comment

me and my friends already had the classic Sabbath albums. 1 through 5. No one owned Sabotage. It wasn't readily available at records stores for some reason. I found it and bought it. The first time I heard it i loved it. It is probably my favorite classic lineup album. I wore out symptoms of the universe. Love that song. My friends didn't care for this album though. I always called them fair weather Sabbath fans. Not true hardcore fans. You know the classics Paranoid, Ironman and Warpigs type of fans....Mike

Comment

I bought the album on cassette back in 1975. I was 15 at the time. I used to go in my room, put the headphones on and listen to Sabotage at max volume. I remember Megolomania mostly for its creepy-cool beginning and the "suck me" part - which I equated with the line from "The Exorcist" film. To be honest, the song I thought was the coolest on the album at the time was Supertzar. There was nothing else like it in 1975.
              In the fields the bodies burning, as the war machine keeps turning.

Comment

Megalomania is a masterpiece, possibly the centerpiece of the Sabotage album, which is saying something since pretty much the entire album is just incredible.

Comment

Sabotage was the first Sab-album i bought along with the debut, so the album is very near and dear to me. I just love the psychedelic/prog-metal-feel of the whole album, and esp. Megalomania. Wonderful that "crazyness-part" where Ozzy goes "Where can I run to now, the joke is on me, No sympathizing God, its insanity Yeah!", and then going over to the pure R&R with the "Why don’t you just get out of my life"-part. And later the cowbell/tamburine-part with "sting me/suck me". The song is probably one of Ozzy's finest moments performance wise. I kinda feel sorry for those who got to know the album on vinyl, as i feel the song should've started off side 2 to make that great epic full-side medley alą Sleeping Village/Warning/Wicked World.

Never thought too much about the meaning of the title, at first because i didn't know what it meant, later because it didn't really matter. But i've got a friend who's not really that big a Sabbath-fan who loves it. Possibly because he identifies with it, he fancy himself as a megalomaniac.
                  95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
                  Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Underdog View Post
                    I kinda feel sorry for those who got to know the album on vinyl, as i feel the song should've started off side 2 to make that great epic full-side medley alą Sleeping Village/Warning/Wicked World.
                    Actually, having first experienced the album with the original Side1/Side2, I can say that Side 1 was the ultimate Sabbath album side ever for me. Hole in the Sky, Don't Start (Too Late), Symptom of the Universe, Megalomania... It just doesn't get any better than that!
                    In the fields the bodies burning, as the war machine keeps turning.

Comment

I remember perfectly the first time I heard the majestic Megalomania tune, and the super duper Sabotage album (which is invariably my favourite Sabbath album---excepting the mediocre Supertzar ). I love Megalomania immensely. In fact, I was listening to the excellent 'Reunion' Sabbath recording last Friday night, and remember ruing the fact that Megalomania wasn't on the set-list, or indeed the unmistakeably thrashy, and almost equally excellent Symptom of the Universe. I especially love Megalomania's lyric segment:

Why don't you just get out of my life, yeah?
                      Why don't you just get out of my life now?
                      Why doesn't everybody leave me alone now?
                      Why doesn't everybody leave me alone, yeah?

It almost sounded like a personal plaintive plea straight out of my own life at the time. Gosh, I can relate to it even now. And Ozzy's mesmerizing vocals only adds to the unforgettable vibe and visceral appeal of the song, even today.
                      "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Comment

The thing is i like both the live and the studio versions but i think they gave a better performance of it live. The studio version of meglomania has those great sound effects panning from speaker to speaker but Geezers and Bills playing seems to be too laid back and stiff. With the asbury park live version from 75, the band seems to be on fire. Geezer ,Tony and Bill are all grooving. The second part of the song is played faster.
                        Last edited by scorpio 2000; 05-18-2013, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X