Australia 2013 Tour Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australia 2013 Tour Report

So after 2 weeks, 6 shows in 5 beautiful cities and 40+ hours of International and domestic flights I’m finally back from Black Sabbath’s Australian sold out arena tour! I thought I would drop a brief review of Sabbath’s successful tour in Aussie and address many issues that have been raised by many forum members for the last couple of weeks.
    Black Sabbath full Australian tour dates:

25/4/2013 - Brisbane Entertainment Centre, Brisbane :

1. War Pigs
    2. Into the Void
    3. Under the Sun
    4. Snowblind
    5. Electric Funeral
    6. Black Sabbath
    7. Behind the Wall of Sleep
    8. N.I.B.
    9. End of the Beginning
    10. Fairies Wear Boots
    11. Symptom of the Universe (Instrumental)
    12. Drum Solo
    13. Iron Man
    14. God Is Dead?
    15. Dirty Women
    16. Children of the Grave
    Encore:
    17. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (Intro)/ Paranoid

Brisbane’s show was simply the band’s finest night throughout their whole Aussie tour! The whole band was on top form, Ozzy was quite solid, sharp and focused throughout the set but obviously he also had some of his inconsistent moments as well, surprisingly he nailed some tough numbers as ‘Under The Sun’ and ‘Snowblind’ and then went completely off key on ‘Electric Funeral’ and struggled on bits and pieces from their new songs ‘End Of the Beginning’ and ‘God Is Dead’ , Tony and Geezer were mind blowing as usual and Tommy sounded great as well! Generally speaking the band was fired up and seemed to be really enjoying their time on stage with great chemistry and a lot of smiles between the 3 originals Ozzy , Geezer and Tony !

27/04/2013 - Allphones Arena, Sydney :

1. War Pigs
    2. Into the Void
    3. Under the Sun
    4. Snowblind
    5. Electric Funeral
    6. Black Sabbath
    8. N.I.B.
    9. End of the Beginning
    10. Fairies Wear Boots
    12. Drum Solo
    13. Iron Man
    14. God Is Dead?
    15. Dirty Women
    Encore:
    17. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (Intro)/ Paranoid

Although not as good as Brisbane , Sydney was another really great show by the band ! Tony messed up one of those killer runs on ‘Under The Sun’ while Ozzy again seemed to struggle with the same numbers on the set ‘Electric Funreal’ , ‘God Is Dead’ and ‘End Of Beginning’, Ozzy’s inconsistency seemed to pickup a little more than his first night at Brisbane but the house packed allphones arena fans in Sydney were just so overwhelming supportive!

29/04/2013 - Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne :

1. War Pigs
    2. Into the Void
    3. Under the Sun/Every Day Comes and Goes
    4. Snowblind
    5. Electric Funeral
    6. Black Sabbath
    8. Basically /N.I.B.
    9. Methademic(World Premiere)
    10. Fairies Wear Boots
    12. Drum Solo
    13. Iron Man
    14. God Is Dead?
    15. Dirty Women
    17. Encore:
    17. Paranoid
    ("Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" intro)

01/05/2013 - Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne (2nd show):

1. War Pigs
    2. Into the Void
    4. Snowblind
    5. Loner (World Premiere)
    6. Black Sabbath
    8. N.I.B.
    9. End of the Beginning
    10. Fairies Wear Boots
    11. Symptom of the Universe
    (instrumental)
    12. Drum Solo
    13. Iron Man
    14. God Is Dead?
    15. Dirty Women
    17. Encore:
    17. Paranoid
    (Sabbath Bloody Sabbath Intro)

Both Melbourne nights were filmed and recorded professionally, and although there was a filming crew touring with the band , both Melbourne nights witnessed some further professional equipment bought specially for those 2 special dates, not sure if any will be used for a future planned live album, but it seems the footage might actually be used to promote the new album sometime in the near future! Interestingly enough, the two nights witnessed a slight different set list as well, 'Electric Funeral' was dropped on the 2nd night while ‘Methademic’ debuted on the first night and was replaced by ‘Loner’ on the 2nd show! Ozzy sounded horrible on both numbers as he seemed to be puzzled in front of his teleprompter, he was out of tune and time! Both sold out nights were great again but I’ve noticed Ozzy looked remarkably more tired and out of tune than he did on the start of the tour, on the 2nd Melbourne show his voice almost cracked out on ‘Dirty Women’ before surprisingly making a decent recovery ‘Children Of the Grave’ and ‘Paranoid’ , over all he looked more shaky and less confident.

07/05/2013 - Perth Arena, Perth :

1. War Pigs
    2. Into the Void
    4. Snowblind
    5. Black Sabbath
    6. Behind the Wall of Sleep
    7. N.I.B.
    8. Fairies Wear Boots
    9. Symptom of the Universe (instrumental)
    10. Drum Solo
    11. Iron Man
    12. God Is Dead?
    13. Dirty Women
    14. Children of the Grave
    Encore:
    15. Paranoid (Sabbath Bloody Sabbath Intro)

Perth was another sold out packed show for the band! Although all fans are all cities were quite incredible and supportive, I thought Perth fans were the best of em all ! with Ozzy’s vocals issues it was no surprise the band dropped 2 songs from their previous lengthy sets , ‘End Of The Beginning’ was one and the other was the revolving number between ‘Electric Funeral’ , ‘Methademic’ and ‘Loner’ , this was quite easily Ozzy’s worst night on the whole tour , he was off key on almost half the songs on the set ! I can sympathize with Ozzy sometimes but what’s with singing a song like ‘Black Sabbath’ off time as well? Yet musically Tony and Geezer were quite tight and solid , but obviously Ozzy’s issues just pulls a negative vibe all over the band , when he is in shape and doing well the whole band automatically switch gears to a better fuller sound and enjoy their time which is instantly reflected on the songs and music performed ! Regardless to Ozzy’s poor performance that night, the show was still GREAT, thanks for the 3 other guys in the band along with the amusing supportive crowd.

7/05/2013 - Adelaide Entertainment Centre :

1. War Pigs
    2. Into the Void
    4. Snowblind
    5. Black Sabbath
    6. Behind the Wall of Sleep
    7. N.I.B.
    8. Fairies Wear Boots
    9. Symptom of the Universe (instrumental)
    10. Drum Solo
    11. Iron Man
    12. God Is Dead?
    13. Dirty Women
    14. Children of the Grave
    15. Encore:
    15. Paranoid
    (Sabbath Bloody Sabbath Intro)

Sabbath last show on their massive sold out Australian tours, this show was so packed that the people on the floor section were standing beyond the doors to the main venue! Ozzy sounded much better than the previous show in Perth but still wasn’t anywhere near his first two gigs in Brisbane and Sydney , as usual Tony and Geezer saved the day pulling off one of their best performances on tour ! Iommi was really fired up and seemed to really have a great time! The shortened setlist from Perth was obviously the same here and I personally thought 15 songs were more than enough! 17 songs set was way too much for Ozzy’s limited vocal capabilities, he might be able to pull it for a night or 2 , but what about the rest of the tour ? again I can’t highlight how the crowd was enthusiastic and supportive to the band and Ozzy in particular , good or bad , they just loved him and their positive vibe was observed by the band and then thrown back at them again in one hell of a fine musical odyssey. Another killer show!

Random thoughts and observations from the whole tour:

- ‘War Pigs’ was a massive opener on the whole tour, as soon as the lights went out and those sirens started the cheers and vibe were already cracking the walls! the crowd instantly gets engaged singing along or back and forth with Ozzy while the middle section and ‘Luke’s wall’ were always major highlights of all shows where Tony and Geezer locks in their massive doom and gloom wall of sound.

- ‘Under The Sun’ was always another major highlight for some of the diehard Sabbath fans like myself, many people from the massive didn’t seem to know the song much but when Tony hit those main song riffs everyone was banging their heads like there is no tomorrows ! That beautiful run by Tony by the end of each verse ALWAYS sent the crowd into frenzy!

- ‘Into the void’ , ‘Under the sun’ and ‘Snowblind’ are played in C (half step down to their original tuning which is C#) , they were all played in slower tempo as well compared to the original , personally I thought the C tuning and slower tempo fitted ‘Under the Sun’ while I preferred the other two in their original C# tuning and tempo ! I’ve been told that the band were not very happy with the low C tuning but obviously they’re committed to do in order to adapt to Ozzy’s limitations, was told that the C tuning was experimented last year when they wanted to play ‘Wheels Of Confusion’ and then of course that went on to some other songs as well.

- Tommy Clufetos bought a lot of energy and power to the band on all shows, to his credit he sounded tighter and better with the band than last year at Download, surprisingly his drum solo was received MASSIVELY by the crowd on ALL shows! people really loved his drum solo and many went crazy on those drums breaks during ‘Under the sun/every day comes and goes’ , personally I thought some of his drum solos were quite decent and to his credit again , he never played the same solo twice in a row ! when it comes to drum solos , I’m more into orchestrated and well composed drum pieces instead of solos that mainly depends on technical aspects and virtuosity , Tommy was obviously more of the later but to be honest he puts a lot of effort and heart into all of the shows I’ve seen , my main issue with him is that he seriously lack of groove and swing ,he shines on many parts of the songs that needs power and energy but he his lack of feel is quite exposed wide open on classic like ‘Fairies Wear Boots’ , but overall he was solid and sounded pretty good with the band , another drummer like Brad Wilk would have certainly made the band and shows much more interesting musically , but the bottom line is , Tommy’s drumming was not that the worst thing to moan or complain about ! and as much as he lacked some of that magic and feel on some songs , he had shining moments on others as well !

- Many of the fans are wondering why Ozzy sounds really dreadful on most of the new songs played on the tour so far, the first thing that comes in mind is the tuning! All the new songs that were played on tour were played in their original key (Eb) ! So for starters the band needs drop the tuning a further half step to D in order to fit Ozzy’s live singing capabilities! Some might ask, and how does he pull such songs on the album or the studio in the first place? well the answer is simply because there is no stress or physical touring exhaustion from singing 15 song set almost every 2 days for a couple of weeks in a row ! and plus in the studio can do as many takes as you want till you nail it ! the 2nd major factor is that Ozzy is still not used to singing those songs live yet , he tends to recall most of the songs from his teleprompter and in the process loses his focus and starts going off time as well ! From all of the new songs, ‘End Of the Beginning’ is the one which he nailed quite decently on a couple of nights!

- Tony and Geezer were absolutely brilliant and smoking on all of the shows! many fans could argue how the original 4 contributed to the original Sabbath sound but since 1997, it’s a no brainer that the sound and groove between Tony and Geezer forms 80% of what Black Sabbath sounds today (especially in a live settings), with Tony it’s obvious Sabbath wouldn’t exist but take Geezer out of the formula and Sabbath’s identity, sound and character would die as well! Breathtaking performance from both men on this tour so far, I could literally watch them doing their thing 24/7!

- Looking at ‘13’ tour dates later this year, there is no way Ozzy will be able to pull off such hectic schedule! Impossible! In my humble opinion he could barely make 4 weeks tour before killing his voice, if there is someone who needs a 2 week break after 10 consective tour dates it’s definitely him! So with such schedule I believe one of the following factors will be inevitable:

1.He will sound horrible after the first 5 dates till their last show in Birmingham late December.
    2.The set will be shortened further to 12-13 songs.
    3.He will have to cancel some shows because of his voice.

- This tour production on this tour is one of the very best throughout their entire history! My all-time favorite Sabbath stage production is the one which they had with Ronnie back on the 2007 world tour but this one is pretty close 2nd, it’s basic and raw! the flintstones are basically 3 large screens which keeps changing according to the song played, its either showing one or 3 bands members separately or a very nice animated movies that are specifically made for each song ‘War pigs’, ‘Under the Sun’, ‘Electric Funeral’, ‘Symptom of the universe’, ‘Fairies wear boots’ are some of those songs that had extremely cool movies showing in the back ground , well thought of and nicely put together !

Here is a detailed list of all 4 different tuning used on the Sabbath's tour so far :

1. War Pigs (D)
    2. Into the Void (C)
    3. Under the Sun (C)
    4. Snowblind (C)
    5. Electric Funeral (D)
    6. Black Sabbath (D)
    7. Behind the Wall of Sleep (D)
    8. N.I.B. (D)
    9. End of the Beginning (Eb)
    10. Fairies Wear Boots (D)
    11. Symptom of the Universe (Instrumental) (D)
    12. Drum Solo
    13. Iron Man (D)
    14. God Is Dead? (Eb)
    15. Dirty Women (C#)
    16. Children of the Grave (C#)
    17. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (Intro)/ Paranoid (D)

- Methademic (Eb)
    - Loner (Eb)

1)The Jaydee 'Old Boy' replica used for all songs in (C)
    2)The Ivory 'Old Boy' is used for all songs in (C#)3)The Cherry 'Old Boy' is used for all songs in (D)
    3)The Cherry 'Old Boy' is used for all songs in (D)
    4)All new songs are played on Lou Mortiz guitar 'Monkey' replica in (Eb)

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...psc0093cf2.jpg

- It seems the band is not very happy with the C tuning ( too low and a bit lifeless )

- There is nothing wrong with the original 'Old Boy' , apparently it's too precious now to fly over for such long distance , that's why its sort of retired on this tour so far.

- Tony didn't use any vintage amps shown in the recording studio for several reasons, one of them is due to the fact that most of the original amps like the Laney Supergroup and Marshall's he used back then were heavily modified by his techs back then! He used his new Laney signature amps on the record.

- Was told he doesn't use any treble boosters live because they're too noisy , he uses them in the studio though.

- Apart from the built in MXR 401/402 booster in his new amp , Tony used to boost the sound even further by another one when he likes to on his live settings , the MXR have been dropped and he is currently using another one now.

- Geezer is using ‘Hartke’ Kilo bass amps on this tour with his new custom speakers cabinets (grills are cut off in hundreds of small ‘Henry’ Sabbath angel, looks wicked! He is also using Ampeg classic with 1969 (8x10) , the vintage Ampeg was used on the new record as well along with the Kilo of course !

- He is playing all Lakeland bass guitars on all his songs , uses his new signature model on all (D) songs and a new white one with EMG pickups (single tone , single volume) on the C# songs and his famous old #1 and #2 Lakland bass guitars as well.

Had some problems posting individual pics through out the whole review to make it more visualling interesting ! anyway I complied a few pics and uploaded them on photobucket for everyone to view , I took over 900 pics and a dozen of HD videos , those are just a few for everyone to check , cheer !

http://s218.photobucket.com/user/oss...Sabbath%202013
    Last edited by IRON-MaN; 05-14-2013, 03:38 AM.

great pics!
    "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
    R. Blackmore

Comment

A big "thank you" for sharing , IRON-MaN !
      love your review of each gig

Comment

Excellent recap IRON-Man. Thanks for sharing. Funny because the clip of The End of the Beginning i always listen to is the Brisbane show.
        Religion won't save me
        The damage is done
        The future has ended
        Before it's begun
        - Damaged Soul - Black Sabbath

Comment

Superb! Thanks a lot for the report, I second many of your thoughts. On Perth show - I do not agree it was the worst. For me the worst was 2nd Melbourne. In Perth Ozzy had recovered, he sounded shaky only on "War Pigs", and I listened the recording of that show at least 3-4 times already.

Also Tony did a couple of mistakes in Brisbane, unlike at other shows. So, if not for Tony's small mistakes, Brisbane would have been the perfect one!
          Last edited by AlexBarghest; 05-11-2013, 12:06 PM.
          http://vk.com/barghestboots

Comment

You must be a music journalist. Thanks for the frontline report and capturing the details.
            Logical that a few dates will be cancelled. I have a gut feeling that Austin, TX will be one of the casualties so I might opt to go to Houston instead.
            Why wouldn't they just spread out the dates more and tour for a year so Ozzy's voice can rest. Or Ozzy could say I don't want to sing Loner but you guys want it so here it goes, then when he's done he'd say "man, that sucked" and start laughing.

Comment

Originally posted by RedZero View Post
              Why wouldn't they just spread out the dates more and tour for a year so Ozzy's voice can rest. Or Ozzy could say I don't want to sing Loner but you guys want it so here it goes, then when he's done he'd say "man, that sucked" and start laughing.
              I talked to one of Ozzy's guys on tour. He basically said the evident thing - it's a moneymaking machine they have to look for a balance between Ozzy's singing ability and not wasting too much money on the crew, as the crew is paid on a daily basis, they of course would prefer to get paid for nothing, as on off-days they are still get paid. For Ozzy's voice of course would be better to have 3-4 days off between gigs, but it's business.

Comment

Originally posted by IRON-MaN View Post
                - ‘Into the void’ , ‘Under the sun’ and ‘Snowblind’ are played in C (half step down to their original tuning which is C#) , they were all played in slower tempo as well compared to the original , personally I thought the C tuning and slower tempo fitted ‘Under the Sun’ while I preferred the other two in their original C# tuning and tempo ! I’ve been told that the band were not very happy with the low C tuning but obviously they’re committed to do in order to adapt to Ozzy’s limitations, was told that the C tuning was experimented last year when they wanted to play ‘Wheels Of Confusion’ and then of course that went on to some other songs as well.

- It seems the band is not very happy with the C tuning ( too low and a bit lifeless )
                Great post! I'm curious as to what more you can tell us about this, as well as who or what informed you of the band's distaste for the low C tuning. Is it just Tony and Geezer who are unhappy with it? Also, upon listening to Dirty Women and Children Of The Grave from Brisbane, they also seem to be in C. I don't think any songs are being played in C# on this tour. Again, thanks for the report!

Comment

Before this tour I didn't know Tony had Old Boys in red and white. Whats the scoop on them?

Comment

Originally posted by AlexBarghest View Post
                    Superb! Thanks a lot for the report, I second many of your thoughts. On Perth show - I do not agree it was the worst. For me the worst was 2nd Melbourne. In Perth Ozzy had recovered, he sounded shaky only on "War Pigs", and I listened the recording of that show at least 3-4 times already.

Also Tony did a couple of mistakes in Brisbane, unlike at other shows. So, if not for Tony's small mistakes, Brisbane would have been the perfect one!
                    Perth was Ozzy's worst night not the band ! people might get this wrong , but there was absolutely no bad night from the whole tour ! musically the band were smokin on all shows but Brisbane was a bit over the rest ! I can recall Tony playing a wrong chord on 'Children of the Grave' but he was a killing machine on the rest of the set ! Brisbane was so great because Ozzy was in shape and solid throughout most of the set ! you can feel Iommi and Geezer building on that great vibe and loosing up rather than being a bit stressed and tensed when Ozzy is out of tune ! the mixing and sound were brilliant at that particular show as well ! (hint : even Geezer tweeted on how great it was

Originally posted by AlexBarghest View Post
                    I talked to one of Ozzy's guys on tour. He basically said the evident thing - it's a moneymaking machine they have to look for a balance between Ozzy's singing ability and not wasting too much money on the crew, as the crew is paid on a daily basis, they of course would prefer to get paid for nothing, as on off-days they are still get paid. For Ozzy's voice of course would be better to have 3-4 days off between gigs, but it's business.
                    That's true , it's a money making machine indeed , and as soon as you start touring you have to get he ball rolling ! having extra resting dates between gigs or even after a couple of consecutive touring weeks would cost a fortune due to all travelling and accommodation expenses of the crew and gear !

Originally posted by YouSaidItAll View Post
                    Great post! I'm curious as to what more you can tell us about this, as well as who or what informed you of the band's distaste for the low C tuning. Is it just Tony and Geezer who are unhappy with it? Also, upon listening to Dirty Women and Children Of The Grave from Brisbane, they also seem to be in C. I don't think any songs are being played in C# on this tour. Again, thanks for the report!
                    In Brisbane both songs were played in C before switching both to C# on later shows ! I traveled with the band's crew on all domestic flights and had some extensive talk with 'Terry Welty' (Geezer's long tech since 1999) and Mike Clement (Iommi's guitar tech since TYR tour !) , I knew them both because I knew most of the band's crew from the H&H band , Terry and Mike.C are one of the few surviving crew from those days ! another note is that 'Terry Welty' is handling Adam Wakeman's keyboards and guitars as well , he told me sometime they step in and tell the band that certain songs with different tuning wouldn't work on the set because simply he couldn't handle Geezer and Adam at the same time , that's why you will notice that they play a couple of songs in the same key before switching their guitars to others with different tuning.

Originally posted by 62_SG View Post
                    Before this tour I didn't know Tony had Old Boys in red and white. Whats the scoop on them?
                    The Cherry red was made for Tony last year by Jaydee early 2012 when they announced he had cancer and the Ivory one was finished later around March/April ! both guitars have been used extensively on the new record , in fact the Ivory 'Old Boy' is the one used on 'God Is Died' as recalled by Mike Exeter.

Comment

Very interesting info dude. Are you going to Ozzfest or any of the NA shows?

Comment

Originally posted by 62_SG View Post
                        Very interesting info dude. Are you going to Ozzfest or any of the NA shows?
                        Unfortunately not , I'm back home in Dubai but I'm far away from being done this year ! God willing I'm planning to catch all UK/England dates later in December , that would make it 11 shows for me this year , thinking of adding another 2 just for the sake to make them '13' :D , 2013 is all about Sabbath to me really ! and for everyone , if Sabbath are playing anywhere near you , JUST GO AND SEE THEM ! we're more than lucky to have them around now , take your chances now because when this line-up is done , Sabbath will be done forever ! and despite of Ozzy's vocal limitations , they're still pulling off some killer shows out there.

Comment

Perth was Ozzy's worst night not the band ! people might get this wrong , but there was absolutely no bad night from the whole tour ! musically the band were smokin on all shows but Brisbane was a bit over the rest ! I can recall Tony playing a wrong chord on 'Children of the Grave' but he was a killing machine on the rest of the set ! Brisbane was so great because Ozzy was in shape and solid throughout most of the set ! you can feel Iommi and Geezer building on that great vibe and loosing up rather than being a bit stressed and tensed when Ozzy is out of tune ! the mixing and sound were brilliant at that particular show as well ! (hint : even Geezer tweeted on how great it was
                          Still I think, that Ozzy sucked at 2nd Melbourne show big time and not in Perth

Comment

Unfortunately not , I'm back home in Dubai but I'm far away from being done this year ! God willing I'm planning to catch all UK/England dates later in December , that would make it 11 shows for me this year , thinking of adding another 2 just for the sake to make them '13' :D , 2013 is all about Sabbath to me really ! and for everyone , if Sabbath are playing anywhere near you , JUST GO AND SEE THEM ! we're more than lucky to have them around now , take your chances now because when this line-up is done , Sabbath will be done forever ! and despite of Ozzy's vocal limitations , they're still pulling off some killer shows out there.
                            Don't worry about me, I've got my tickets. Luckily I'm at the one date in NA that has a three-day break preceeding it. Still disappointing since Ozzy's shows here are usually the first or second stop on the tour but meh, this is fucking Sabbath and I'm not gonna pout.

Comment

Really cool, man! I also had plans to visit 11 shows - 5 in Australia done, 6 in Europe are pending - bought the tickets aleady.

Comment

Working...
                              X