13 - Marks Out of 10?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jstheconqueror View Post
    I gave it a 9. Loner and Age of Reason are a bit underwhelming.
    Wow, my 2 favorite tracks...
    "Music is so sacred to me that I cant hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
    R. Blackmore

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
      Too early for me to rank it, I haven't heard the album yet on my stereo... it'll be a while before I vote... I don't want to rush it... the album needs multiple listens and evaluations before prematurly ranking it...
      Totally agree with you there. I've only heard it once myself, so I won't be voting yet either.
      >>TECHNICINS F SPCE
      SHIP ERTH THIS IS
      YR CPTIN SPEKING
      YR PTIN IS DEA˝D<<

Comment

I already gave 'Thirteen' a score: 7.5 out of 10

Can't do higher than that.

There are far more favorable albums in the Sabbath discography that deserve 8's, 9's and solid 10's.

This doesn't belittle 'Thirteen'.. just the way things are.

Comment

10/10 - 13 is a Masterpiece!!!!!!

My only criticism would be:
          "I don't believe that God is Dead" should be the final words Ozzy sings in God is Dead?

Ozzy doesn't need to keep repeating God is dead.
          The ending would be perfect with just the band playing the final measures of GID.

Comment

Originally posted by hipster doofus View Post
            That's EXACTLY how I feel about those tracks, minus keeping God Is Dead? off. It fits, but not as track #2. Dear Father is definitely missing that solo and Live Forever starts out rather awkwardly.

That being said, it all still needs to sink it. I have yet to hear the bonus material too. I'll wait a bit to rank.
            I concur, the intro riff of Live Forever sounds messy and seems like it's going nowhere. That groovy riff that kicks in after the intro is killer though!

And Dear Father definately need a solo, the mark Soul Sucker suggested would have worked as a great starting point for another face melting Iommi solo.
            "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
            "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
            "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Comment

As Wicked says it is too early to make this sort of decision. I've only heard it once or twice, the best albums only show their full depth of character and potential after many listens.

This is not an immediate album for me (which is a good thing) so no catchy choruses to get bored with by the fifth listen. I really think this is a grower.
              My name is Lucifer please take my hand.

Comment

After about 5 go rounds (haven't heard Naivete in Black though), I give it an 8/10.

Damaged Soul is the hallmark song of this album for me. LOVE this track.
                End of the Beginning, Loner, Dear Father, and Pariah are the next tier of songs that I can see becoming Sabbath classics in my mind.
                God is Dead?, Zeitgeist, and Peace of Mind are songs I enjoy, but probably wouldn't put them on many Sabbath favorites playlists.
                Age of Reason and Live Forever in the middle of the album is the weak spot in my opinion. Age of Reason just never drew me in. As mentioned before, Live Forever just starts off clumsily.

Comment

I am beyond happy at what Rick Rubin helped draw out of Tony, Geezer and Brad. Very basic, raw and somewhat primal. I love that kind of return to the beginning sound he accomplished with both Johnny Cash as well as Neil Diamond!

But the layered and auto-tuned vocals work against the otherwise stripped down sound of the album. I'm excited as a kid to have this record, I was 12 when the guys broke up so this is GREAT to have. But the vocals keep me from rating this even higher.

(Let the cursing and uber-criticizing begin.)
                  The blind men shout "Let the creatures out, we'll show the unbelievers."
                  The napalm screams of human flames, of a prime time Belsen feast ... yeah!
                  As the reasons for the carnage cut their meat and lick the gravy.
                  We oil the jaws of the war machine and feed it with our babies.

Comment

Originally posted by IommiRules View Post
                    auto-tuned vocals work against the otherwise stripped down sound of the album.
                    I would really like to know where you hear that auto-tune. Maybe we've gotten different copies, cause there sure isn't any auto-tuning on mine...
                    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
                    Til rs ok friar ok forn sir

Comment

But the layered and auto-tuned vocals work against the otherwise stripped down sound of the album. I'm excited as a kid to have this record, I was 12 when the guys broke up so this is GREAT to have. But the vocals keep me from rating this even higher.
                      All due respect to your opinion, but I'm not getting the auto-tune part. Layering, reverb, effects, etc. yes, but certainly not auto-tuned. On a solid pair of headphones, Ozzy sounds very primal and his age shows through which I think is one of the strongest points. They DIDN'T cover that stuff up. Listen to 'Scream' Ozzy and then '13' Ozzy. It's night and day.

I think, in general, auto-tune is thrown around too loosely. It's become increasingly popular, but I don't think as many artists are "guilty" of it that get accused of it. And if I recall in one of Mike Exeter's early posts, he mentioned them specifically avoiding auto-tune. I don't remember his wording exactly.
                      ***Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of other internet people, the internet police or the internet in general. It is to be assumed that all sentences are automatically followed by "IMO, BUDDY" as to not offend other internet people and start an internet fight.

Comment

I gave it a 10. So far there are no tracks I skip or don't enjoy so it seems fair.
                        Well I dont want no preacher telling me about the god in the sky
                        No I dont want no one to tell me where Im gonna go when I die
                        I wanna live my life, I dont want people telling me what to do
                        I just believe in myself, cause no one else is true

Comment

A 10 for me. My only minor gripe is that I wish 'Peace Of Mind' was about one minute longer.

An absolutely fantastic album. We could not have hoped for anything better!

Comment

10 just for Damaged Soul. I got what I waited for.
                            People think I'm insane because I am frowning all the time.

Comment

Hi guys new here, massive Sabs fan obviously.
                              Have listened to 13 four times and am loving it. It was always going to be special after 30 odd years. Getting better with each listen. Gave it 8 at the moment as a cple of tracks ; Live Forever & Age of Reason fall a bit short of Sabs own high standards. They are still 100 x better than the bland immemorable rubbish posing as heavy metal at the moment (endless power metal bands whose albums just blur).
                              My favourites at the moment are God is Dead, Loner and Damaged Soul.

Comment

(Let the cursing and uber-criticizing begin.)
                                I don't think there's anything wrong with criticism -- especially in this thread, where we are supposed to explain why we didn't give the album a ten out of ten rating.
                                Can you sleep at night, when you close your eyes
                                Do you think of all the pain from your lies
                                Or do you deny, you're responsible
                                For the victims of the sins you devised

Comment

Working...
                                X