No announcement yet.

13 - Marks Out of 10?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is my review of 13 written today. http://mikeladano.com/2013/06/11/gue...by-uncle-meat/

Comment

I gave it 10 out of 10. It is exactly what we were promised. An Album that is true to the spirit of classic Black Sabbath. 13 is an awesome album!

Comment

The first two songs are the least great IMO......and OZZY goes to the well too much with that nasally evil voice which became a cliche' after DIARY...With his 70s voice this album is a ten......I wish on Zietguist Oz would of used the singing style on PC.......instead of the nasal thing, but he has a lot of success with the evil nasal voice.......I like Ozzy best on the old stuff, before he fully developed his style, when he sang straight baritone..........

I love the album and gave it an 8.......

I love WIlk's playing on most of the tracks too.......Tony and Geezer are great as expected.......
        Last edited by bdc; 06-11-2013, 06:48 PM.

Comment

The whole package is great, but Age of Reason alone, is worth the price of admission.

Comment

This is the rock album that we needed today in our tech`d up world and proves that you can still record live and that silenced the nay sayer`s, 9 out 10

Comment

Originally posted by Soul Sucker View Post

'God Is Dead?' sticks out like a sore thumb. It's decent enough, but it pales in comparison to the other songs on 13 -- it should have been left off the album. Aside from that, I only have two nitpicks: the intro to 'Live Forever' doesn't quite work and 'Dear Father' sounds like it's building up to something epic, but at 4:48 it comes to a halt. A guitar solo should have followed the line "...for all the lives that you tore apart"; instead though, Tony plays a generic riff.

Overall, I'm very impressed with the album. For the most part, it is as good as I was hoping it would be and if this is the last album they make, they have ended their careers on a high note.
              Seems people are on both sides of that song (GID), I think it's one of the best on the album, in the content of the whole record it sounds even better...to me, it's heavy as all Hell and it rocks and swings and sways.. and it fits in very seemlessly to the sound of this album, the early '70ish sound.. love it... I think the one track they should have left off was Live Forever which is pretty boring... not worthy of the other 7 tracks or other 10 tracks counting the bonus CD...

---------- Post added at 01:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

Originally posted by nuuch View Post
              This is the rock album that we needed today in our tech`d up world and proves that you can still record live and that silenced the nay sayer`s, 9 out 10
              with you 110%... the album sounds so timeless, so "70's ish", retro, but not in a dated way, more of a classic timeless one for the ages record.... unlike the techno glocky shtuff we hear everywhere... they really went out of their way NOT to make a "commercial" sounding record, unlike um, er.. I won't mention names.. did, and so many others...and the results are stunning!

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 PM ----------

Until I get my deluxe edition, I can't vote yet, but, right now with what I've heard.... I'm teetering between 8 & 9 out of 10... which outs it right up there with the first 6 Ozzy era slabs in my book...

I think Ady should have had a 11 out of 10 catagory in the spirit of Spinal Tap!
              "Music is so sacred to me that I can’t hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
              R. Blackmore

Comment

This album has a lot of things going on for it. The production is good and I actually think Ozzy sounds a lot better here than he does on any of his recent solo stuff. I just don't think the songs are there. It's as if Rick Rubin put them into a box and said "make a Black Sabbath noise! That's great! Amazing! Now make a Paranoid noise!". There's a lot of nostalgia on this album, and I kind of think that is one of the reasons it just makes me want to put on Paranoid or Black Sabbath or Master of Reality instead. It's not the worst Black Sabbath album, but I would go as far as saying it is one of their weaker efforts.

6/10
                http://www.last.fm/user/sirkenneth

http://xkcd.com/386/

Comment

9 out of 10. Good, excellent album, just missing something in a few spots that would make it a 10. However, it does have that seventy's vibe, which I dig.

Comment

After flirting with a solid 8 (3.5 stars out of 5) I have to say I now think it's settled at a 7 for me.

It's off to a rocky start at Metal Archives http://www.metal-archives.com/albums...bath/13/373514

right now has a 62 out of 100 rating
                    Last edited by DARKEST LIGHT; 06-12-2013, 03:21 PM.

Comment

I'll tell you what. My mom died of cancer last November. She was a fighter...died at 79. When I hear Iommi's riffs on this album I think "that's a guy with cancer, no way?" But it's true. It's Tony giving the old FU to the big C and I love it. I find this album spitting angry, especially musically. If you can find me another guy going through treatments like Tony is every 6 weeks and is able to play like this, TOUR and turn out an album of this quality, bring it on...but I don't think you'll be able to. 13 is a 10 to begin with, but add Tony's condition to the mix, the Bill Ward issue, Ozzy falling off the wagon and you can't NOT give this album a 10. This is of course my opinion based on my ears and my own experience with cancer. This album gives me that much more joy because Tony put it out this under circumstances I hope none of us ever face. Thank you Tony, Geezer and Oz. This is another slab of Sab I can add to the soundtrack of my life.

T

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
                        I think Ady should have had a 11 out of 10 catagory in the spirit of Spinal Tap!
                        Fair enough, Spinal Tap had an amp that went to 11. Sabbath has amps that goes to 13!!!
                        95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
                        Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Comment

I gave "13" an 8 out of 10, and I did that for the following reasons:

1) When compared to my favorite Sabbath album, it sits about 1.5 points back.
                          2) I actually think the album is worth 8.5/ 10, but that was not an option in the poll.

On a purely emotional level, I would give it a 10. As I've said before, we are sooo lucky.
                          Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

Comment

Yea, I have to give it probably a 8 or 9 like i said, I'm waiting on the CD this weekend... what keeps it out of a 9 or 10 is probably because Ozzy's best years singing wise are behind him, it's hard to put the record ahead of those classics like SBS and Sabotage where his voice generated so much excitement at those octave levels he use to reach.., that said, I love his "mature" sound, it's actually more reminicent of the first 3 albums... with a little VOL4 sprinkled in... but I'm right there at 8, 8.5... maybe a 9...
                            "Music is so sacred to me that I can’t hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
                            R. Blackmore

Comment

Originally posted by Now in Darkness View Post
                              I gave "13" an 8 out of 10, and I did that for the following reasons:

1) When compared to my favorite Sabbath album, it sits about 1.5 points back.
                              2) I actually think the album is worth 8.5/ 10, but that was not an option in the poll.

On a purely emotional level, I would give it a 10. As I've said before, we are sooo lucky.
                              I've got nothing to add here, you just summed up my thoughts perfectly!

Although at the moment I might even give "13" a 9 out of 10, but I discount half a point due to the novelty of 13. The release of it was such an anticipated event that the sheer adrenaline and excitement generated by newness of the music will cause it sounding even better than it is Same happened with TDYK, which I would probably rate about the same as 13 (maybe one or half a point lower).
                              Last edited by -E5150 StarWanderer-; 06-12-2013, 02:04 PM.
                              "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
                              "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
                              "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Comment

10 all the way! Awesome album!
                                Life Member of the NRA

Comment

Working...
                                X