Vinyl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vinyl

While I have a final copy of 13, I don't have a turntable to play it on. However I've seen multiple reports that the sound on the vinyl is better than any CD or downloadable version. For anybody here who can corroborate this?

Here's something I got in email from a friend of mine who is a big audio not and what he had to say about it.

The vinyl is of outstanding quality as is the sound it contains. It does a better job of reproducing the fidelity of the master trax that are down converted for cd and i-tunes. Highly recommended if you have a system that can play records still. The packaging is also very high quality.
    Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
    View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

VINYL RULES...I was weened on it, still have 100's of albums... the CD age was the beginning of the end of great recording... guys like Neil Young hated CDs from the get go... and publicly scorned them, they don't capture the warmth and space you hear in the studio... so much for digital, new isn't always better...
    "Music is so sacred to me that I can’t hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
    R. Blackmore

Comment

Things always seem to come around again. Let's hope Vinyl returns full force!!!!
      "Dumb Ass" Red Foreman That 70's Show

Comment

Joe, I'm a big vinyl collector. I am not going to listen to my vinyl copy until this Friday, when I have some time to sit back and enjoy it, but I will post back and let you know my thoughts. What I can say, as a vinyl enthusiast, is that all modern releases sound better on vinyl than they do on CD. There is much more range and purity to the sound. I'm guessing that "13" will be better on vinyl, but I will let you know. With 180 gram virgin vinyl, and limited print runs, it is bound to be stunning.
        Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

Comment

It really is true and the main difference is the drums. The whole sound is just more open and alive, but what the vinyl does is enable one to take in the power and punch that Wilk brought to the recordings. Right from the opening hits he does on "The End Of The Beginning" you can just feel his presence in a way that differs from all the compression on the CD.

These days, there are plenty of very good turntables in the $300-$400 range. A google search will reveal names like Pro-Ject, Music Hall and others ...

The irony here is that I can still remember "dynamic range" being one of the big selling points of CD versus vinyl. Here we are all these years later, and you get a release like this where the vinyl is literally twice as dynamic as the CD. Bizarre ...

Not saying it's right but I can understand why some who bought this CD and don't have a turntable don't feel any guilt for finding a rip of the vinyl to download. Having to buy an album in two formats just to attain quality sound does seem a bit unreasonable.
          "It is not opinion that Ozzy peaked on Sabotage, it is a measurable fact."
          -WTB

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
            VINYL RULES...I was weened on it, still have 100's of albums... the CD age was the beginning of the end of great recording... guys like Neil Young hated CDs from the get go... and publicly scorned them, they don't capture the warmth and space you hear in the studio... so much for digital, new isn't always better...
            It really doesn't have to be that way. Digital recording can capture whatever you tell it to capture. The problem is that the thinking shifted with the technology. More compressors, more noise gates, more more more until the only thing you hear is signal and microchipped effects. THIS is what Is captured and put on to a cd.

The other fail is that Hi-Def audio did not catch on. We're still dealing with 1987 technology for audio on the user end.

The irony is that digital gear could now "fake" room/air ambiance quite well, but engineers/producers don't seem to bother with it.

Comment

When I got the record, I put it on my turntable and I just listened. really soaked in the album. that is the way to do it. I am more than pleased with the vinyl, it really sounds fantastic, I think for all the aforementioned reasons.

Comment

The vinyl has more range and less loudness. Nice warm sound. I do think he CD is fine when compared to Death Magnetic and a lot of newer Metal. The better sound normally the case with vinyl versions these days and is no way an indicator that the CD version is "bad" in any way. And I can't play the LP in my car.

I was thinking of putting the vinyl wave files on my PC, all I have is basic Audacity software, but will try it nonetheless.
                you introduced me to my mind...

Comment

I can't find it now but I saw someone post a picture of a captured sound wave from the vinyl version and the CD version. The vinyl has much more peaks and space in the wave which translates to more dynamics, better depth and stereo imaging in the sound. The CD is what they like to call "Brickwalled" meaning it looks like a brick, with no peaks. This is pretty much proof that the vinyl is much more dynamic then the CD. I have both, I collect vinyl and I'm very sensitive to the whole "Loudness wars" which in my opinion ruins way to many modern releases. The vinyl is way better. I will say that for a really heavily compressed CD, "13" is on the better side sonically. I think this has to do with the fact that the insturmentation is rather sparse. Loud CDs tend to sound the worse when there is a lot going on and the mix becomes stretched to it's limits. An example on 13 might be the end of "Age of Reason" when the keyboards kick in, on the CD they get a bit lost, on the vinyl the really jump out and have a lot more space and punch to them.

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------

a word of caution though. If anyone plans on buying a record player just to experience 13 in a different light stay away from the cheap players that you see at places like Best Buy or Target. These are pretty much garbage and not only will your records sound bad on them players like this tend to have needles that will damage you albums.
                  Sinister Realm- Epic Traditional Metal
                  http://www.facebook.com/sinisterrealm

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv6xCUEBrDM

95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
                    Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Comment

Originally posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
                      It really doesn't have to be that way. Digital recording can capture whatever you tell it to capture. The problem is that the thinking shifted with the technology. More compressors, more noise gates, more more more until the only thing you hear is signal and microchipped effects. THIS is what Is captured and put on to a cd.

The other fail is that Hi-Def audio did not catch on. We're still dealing with 1987 technology for audio on the user end.

The irony is that digital gear could now "fake" room/air ambiance quite well, but engineers/producers don't seem to bother with it.
                      Yes but just by their technical differences, aren't CD's because they're digital, actually just mili-second snipits of sound... vs an analog recording..? CDs sound flat... people love or loved them because they were "clean" but it's sterile clean as in yuk, they're cold... sterile cold the analog warmth and air that vinyl captures can't be replicated by digital recording...
                      "Music is so sacred to me that I can’t hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
                      R. Blackmore

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
                        Yes but just by their technical differences, aren't CD's because they're digital, actually just mili-second snipits of sound... vs an analog recording..? CDs sound flat... people love or loved them because they were "clean" but it's sterile clean as in yuk, they're cold... sterile cold the analog warmth and air that vinyl captures can't be replicated by digital recording...
                        I tend to disagree with this theory.

While it might not contain the same analog warmth of vinyl, a well mastered CD can sound phenomenal.

13 on CD is not well mastered, IMO.

And since it is a digital recording in the first place, the difference in sound has little to do with the medium and everything to do with the mastering.
                        "It is not opinion that Ozzy peaked on Sabotage, it is a measurable fact."
                        -WTB

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                          And since it is a digital recording in the first place, the difference in sound has little to do with the medium and everything to do with the mastering.
                          This.

Lack of square waves on the vinyl gives it a sense of spaciousness that the digital formats lack. However, as Jeff said, the source was digital so what's on the vinyl isn't the waveform of the actual performance. It's the waveform of the digital recording of the actual performance. If the vinyl masters were cut as hot as the digital version, you're needle wouldn't even stay in the groove.

On point with Joe's question: I think the vinyl sounds better, and there isn't any listening fatigue through a decent setup. But - music is just sound over time, so what I think is better may not be what any given person considers better. And the digital versions of the music sound fine to me, and I'm sure anyone can have a great time listening to any version of it.
                          gadji beri bimba glandridi laula lonni cadori - Ball

Comment

I have the vinyl and the HMV exclusive. I've already listened to the vinyl but sadly, only to the bonus cd in my car. I'll compare them side by side at home tomorrow.

Not that it means much, but so far I think the vinyl sounds great. I'll report back tomorrow!

Comment

Working...
                            X