Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxW8cCNNV80

Comment

hey do you think the difference in the electrical power sources between europe and america might have something to do with the feedback issue you were mentioning ? just wondering ?

Comment

Originally posted by mikesline View Post
        hey do you think the difference in the electrical power sources between europe and america might have something to do with the feedback issue you were mentioning ? just wondering ?
        Good job, thats a great point!!
        www.downtrendmetal.com

Comment

Originally posted by From Beyond View Post
          Really?

an interesting factoid
          http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/show...t=guitar+facts
          95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
          Til Šrs ok friūar ok forn siūr

Comment

Yeah, that is a very good point. I have no idea. I'll have to listen to a few more early shows and see if there's a pattern.

Comment

Originally posted by 62_SG View Post
              His wording is a bit confusing. His white SG was technically a white Les Paul, but Les Pauls as we know them didn't come back into production until 1968. So either hes referring to his SG as a Les Paul or he used both white and black Les Pauls, but he says he only used it once. I think hes saying he used a black Les Paul to do the one song.

He mentions "Black Beauty" in that quote, and if I recall correctly there is no such thing as an SG Black Beauty. Could be wrong, but it really sounds like he did at least use a black Les Paul. More recently I also thought he tracked parts in the studio on Fused using a Les Paul. I think he stated somewhere used it on the rhythm parts on that album. Think he even used a strat and a Vox amp on Fused as well. Speaking of strat, is it just me or do parts of the guitar on "Damaged Soul" sound like they were done on a strat. I assume that's not the case, but there is something very different about the guitar tone on that track when compared to the rest of the album. Different amp maybe, if not a different guitar? Or maybe for Damaged Soul he used the Moritz Monkey SG replica that was recently made for him.

http://www.guitarnerd.com.au/2013/03...itz-monkey-sg/

Comment

Originally posted by spiral_architect101 View Post
                Speaking of strat, is it just me or do parts of the guitar on "Damaged Soul" sound like they were done on a strat. I assume that's not the case, but there is something very different about the guitar tone on that track when compared to the rest of the album. Different amp maybe, if not a different guitar? Or maybe for Damaged Soul he used the Moritz Monkey SG replica that was recently made for him.

MikeX said that During the recording Tony received a Gibson Jazz for his 60th birthday. Yes almost 5 years late. Anyway, he said that it was a single cutaway hollow body and that Tony used it on Zeitgeist and other clean parts on the album.
                www.downtrendmetal.com

Comment

Or maybe for Damaged Soul he used the Moritz Monkey SG replica that was recently made for him.
                  I've heard that he used the Monkey when he recorded "Loner", but I'm not sure if he used it on any other tracks. Another possibility for "Damaged Soul" may be P90s, but it still sounds stratty to me.
                  Well I donít want no preacher telling me about the god in the sky
                  No I donít want no one to tell me where Iím gonna go when I die
                  I wanna live my life, I donít want people telling me what to do
                  I just believe in myself, ícause no one else is true

Comment

He played a white SG ON The Mob Rules on the 2009 H&H Tour. I'm thinking he played that red Monkey replica mosdtly on the new album, since he ssems to like it so much, that and the old boy, the one with the bad finish...
                    "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
                    R. Blackmore

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
                      He played a white SG ON The Mob Rules on the 2009 H&H Tour. I'm thinking he played that red Monkey replica mosdtly on the new album, since he ssems to like it so much, that and the old boy, the one with the bad finish...
                      Yeah, he had a custom two-pickup 24 fret white SG Custom with a Floyd Rose. He also had a black 24-fret Standard with a Floyd as a backup.

Tony said in Guitar World that he used the Old Boy and the new aged white replica for most of the recording. He used the Monkey for Loner and an ES-175 for the outro solo on Zeitgeist. He didn't use any of his Gibson Signature models. I get the feeling he isn't as big a fan of them as he is the Jaydees with the Old Boy pickups. Lately he hasn't used any Gibsons at all, just three Jaydees (tuned to D, C# and C) and the Monkey (tuned to Eb).

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
                        He played a white SG ON The Mob Rules on the 2009 H&H Tour. I'm thinking he played that red Monkey replica mostly on the new album, since he ssems to like it so much, that and the old boy, the one with the bad finish...
                        His original OB and his new Ivory distressed OB were his main guitars on the new album , Lou's Monkey replica were used only on the solos on 'Loner' , but on the recent tour , all the new songs from '13' are played on the Monkey replica ( tuned to Eb just like the album)

Originally posted by Ochlocracy View Post
                        I've heard that he used the Monkey when he recorded "Loner", but I'm not sure if he used it on any other tracks. Another possibility for "Damaged Soul" may be P90s, but it still sounds stratty to me.
                        He mentions "Black Beauty" in that quote, and if I recall correctly there is no such thing as an SG Black Beauty. Could be wrong, but it really sounds like he did at least use a black Les Paul. More recently I also thought he tracked parts in the studio on Fused using a Les Paul. I think he stated somewhere used it on the rhythm parts on that album. Think he even used a strat and a Vox amp on Fused as well. Speaking of strat, is it just me or do parts of the guitar on "Damaged Soul" sound like they were done on a strat. I assume that's not the case, but there is something very different about the guitar tone on that track when compared to the rest of the album. Different amp maybe, if not a different guitar? Or maybe for Damaged Soul he used the Moritz Monkey SG replica that was recently made for him.

This song particularly sounds a bit different than the rest for 2 main reasons , 1st it was literally a warm up 18 minutes Jam that was edited down to the album version by Rick as we heard , Geezer mentions in a recent interview that he doesn't even remember recording it in the first place ! so I guess their amp settings might haven't been set up as properly as they usually do for recording and hence the different and more raw sound to the whole thing ! 2nd , he probably used a vintage Laney Klipp amp on this one , it was one of a very few amps that were used on the record along with his new signature Laney amps T100 ( he used some of his old signature Laney heads too).

Don't believe so , those annoying feed backs were definitely from the massive volume Iommi played with back in the days and the fact that his original Monkey pickups were single coil P90's ! they are noisy and get a lot feed back when you turn the amp volume up.

Originally posted by sn0wb1ind0zzy View Post
                        The white SG was actually stolen, I don't quite remember the circumstances behind it, I'm sure someone else on the boards could shed some light onto this?
                        His original white SG was never stolen but he doesn't own it any longer
                        http://www.dawksound.com/iommi1.html

Here is a list of the guitars and alternative tunings Tony and Sabbath are using on the recent '13' tour ( Australia tour dates) :

1. War Pigs (D)
                        2. Into the Void (C)
                        3. Under the Sun (C)
                        4. Snowblind (C)
                        5. Electric Funeral (D)
                        6. Black Sabbath (D)
                        7. Behind the Wall of Sleep (D)
                        8. N.I.B. (D)
                        9. End of the Beginning (Eb)
                        10. Fairies Wear Boots (D)
                        11. Symptom of the Universe (Instrumental) (D)
                        12. Drum Solo
                        13. Iron Man (D)
                        14. God Is Dead? (Eb)
                        15. Dirty Women (C#)
                        16. Children of the Grave (C#)
                        17. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (Intro)/ Paranoid (D)

- Methademic (Eb)
                        - Loner (Eb)

1)The Jaydee 'Old Boy' replica used for all songs in (C)
                        2)The Ivory 'Old Boy' is used for all songs in (C#)3)The Cherry 'Old Boy' is used for all songs in (D)
                        3)The Cherry 'Old Boy' is used for all songs in (D)
                        4)All new songs are played on Lou Mortiz guitar 'Monkey' replica in (Eb)

Notice that he doesn't use the original OB on the tour so far (he uses an exact distressed JD OB replica) , was told that the original OB was too previous to fly over now , his Custom black Gibson SG is a back up guitar for the C# tuning , the Monkey replica pickups are the same as the ones on his OB by JD , the whole guitar was built by Lou though , that's way its sounds very similar to his JD OB guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by IRON-MaN View Post
                          His original OB and his new Ivory distressed OB were his main guitars on the new album , Lou's Monkey replica were used only on the solos on 'Loner' , but on the recent tour , all the new songs from '13' are played on the Monkey replica ( tuned to Eb just like the album)

This song particularly sounds a bit different than the rest for 2 main reasons , 1st it was literally a warm up 18 minutes Jam that was edited down to the album version by Rick as we heard , Geezer mentions in a recent interview that he doesn't even remember recording it in the first place ! so I guess their amp settings might haven't been set up as properly as they usually do for recording and hence the different and more raw sound to the whole thing ! 2nd , he probably used a vintage Laney Klipp amp on this one , it was one of a very few amps that were used on the record along with his new signature Laney amps T100 ( he used some of his old signature Laney heads too).

I thought in that Guitar World article Tony said that they (Rick?) wanted him to get a more vintage sound and use the Laney Klipp but that they blew up on him just like they did back in the old days. Then he went on to say he was able to get a more vintage sound simply by using the new custom Laney and modifying his settings, levels, etc. I could be wrong, but that's what I remember from that article. That being said, when watching the Making of 13 documentary there was a quick glance at the mixing board and there was a label on the tracks that said Ampeg SVT / Klipp or something like that. But I assumed that the mention of SVT meant that it was Geezer's bass and not Tony's guitar. I think Geezer mentioned (in Bass Player) that he used an old Ampeg for at least some of the album, but I don't think he said anything about Klipps although I thought back in the 70s he used them too just like Tony did.

Anyhow, maybe you're right that the amp settings is what makes "Damaged Soul" sound different tonewise from the rest of the album, and not a different guitar such as a strat or something with p90s.

Comment

I thought in that Guitar World article Tony said that they (Rick?) wanted him to get a more vintage sound and use the Laney Klipp but that they blew up on him just like they did back in the old days. Then he went on to say he was able to get a more vintage sound simply by using the new custom Laney and modifying his settings, levels, etc. I could be wrong, but that's what I remember from that article. That being said, when watching the Making of 13 documentary there was a quick glance at the mixing board and there was a label on the tracks that said Ampeg SVT / Klipp or something like that. But I assumed that the mention of SVT meant that it was Geezer's bass and not Tony's guitar. I think Geezer mentioned (in Bass Player) that he used an old Ampeg for at least some of the album, but I don't think he said anything about Klipps although I thought back in the 70s he used them too just like Tony did.

Anyhow, maybe you're right that the amp settings is what makes "Damaged Soul" sound different tonewise from the rest of the album, and not a different guitar such as a strat or something with p90s.
                            I read the recent Guitar World article with Tony and I Thought NONE of those vintage amps were used on '13' , not true, and according with another discussion with Mike.X the Laney Klipp was used on many rythm/lead tracks on the whole album , we can obviously assume'Damaged Soul' was recorded using the Klipp since it really has this raw and dirty vintage sound all over.

Geezer used Ampeg Classic on many tracks on the record , and he is actually using them on some track on tour as well with 1969 (8x10) , main tour amps though are the 'Hartke' kilo along with his custom cabs.

Comment

AFAIK or can remember:

- The white SG Custom was a 1963 with original humbucker pickups (60s PAF's)
                              - The white SG was a backup to the Monkey cherry SG (where previously the cherry SG was a backup to the Fender Stratocaster)
                              - Recently, Tony mentioned that all of Paranoid was recorded with the Monkey SG, except Paranoid the song
                              - I've heard a few times that his white Custom was stolen or lost in the same year that he got it
                              - The other white SG that Tony used was a 1962 SG Junior, a gift from Leslie West, later modded by John Birch
                              - The Dawk white SG is a 70s SG, not the original Paranoid one
                              http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSterlingSound

Super animation, turning on a nation
                              And theyíre saying all moving parts stand still

Comment

Originally posted by sterling#sound View Post
                                AFAIK or can remember:

- The white SG Custom was a 1963 with original humbucker pickups (60s PAF's)
                                - The white SG was a backup to the Monkey cherry SG (where previously the cherry SG was a backup to the Fender Stratocaster)
                                - Recently, Tony mentioned that all of Paranoid was recorded with the Monkey SG, except Paranoid the song
                                - I've heard a few times that his white Custom was stolen or lost in the same year that he got it
                                - The other white SG that Tony used was a 1962 SG Junior, a gift from Leslie West, later modded by John Birch
                                - The Dawk white SG is a 70s SG, not the original Paranoid one
                                Thanks for the info Sterling , I knew I read somewhere this white SG was not the Dawk modified one ! got a picture of Tony's Leslie West SG , looks a bit like Tony's monkey after it got modified by John Birch.

Comment

Working...
                                X