Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What enabled Ozzy to sing that high in the 70s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Now in Darkness View Post
    Here, here. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and technical ability does not always equate to favor. The analysis by the "voice lady" has a problem with it when it comes to the Ozzy analysis. War Pigs is purposefully sung in such way as to sound sinister and heady. I suspect that the song was chosen for that reason, knowing full well that he was going to get a technical fail. Fortunately for Ozzy, War Pigs is clearly a people's choice song, despite its technical considerations. In fact, Ozzy's style, overall, has a sinister flavor to it, and that requires him to sing a certain way to accomplish that sound. For example: "Do you deny, you're responsible, for the victims of the sins you devise?" Compare that to Momma I'm Coming Home, and the non-sinister manner in which those lyrics were sung. Ozzy is not a technical singer, but he still brings something very tangible to the vocal and auditory experience, and his melodies are awesome. And besides, Bob Dylan is still out there singing and people love him. If it wasn't for the fact that there were stage lights on when I last saw Dylan, I would have thought that Kermit the Frog was singing.
    Wiz, people don't go to hear Dylan "sing" it's his lyrics, the message... he could recite them rather than sing and he'd still draw crowds...
    "Music is so sacred to me that I can’t hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
    R. Blackmore

Comment

Paul Rodgers to this day in his 60's hasn't lost a thing on his voice... it's as good or better than ever, I can't think of any other rock singer form the 70's who can even compare quality wise... Gillan, Plant, Ozzy, u name them, they've all lost something... even RJD didn't have the range he had in his younger days...
      "Music is so sacred to me that I can’t hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
      R. Blackmore

Comment

Bills red tights gave him power beyond measure

Comment

Many singers have the ability to sing at higher then their normal range but they just don't do it all the time. When you are younger you can get away with it a little more but when you get older your going to pay for it. Plant, Daltry, Jagger just to name a few cant hit those high notes anymore. Hell most of them cant hit the low notes anymore. That why the Stones have those back up singers. I feel sorry for some of the modern metal bands that push it with either the high pitch vocals or the cookie monster screaming type bands. Or both in the same song. In 20 years lets see where some of those guys are.

Comment

His own natural vocal chords that were well exercised and his youth.

Comment

I just read on a YouTube comment that songs like Snowblind were originally sung lower my Ozzy and then the pitch was changed... Is this true?

Comment

Originally posted by Shoopsy View Post
                I just read on a YouTube comment that songs like Snowblind were originally sung lower my Ozzy and then the pitch was changed... Is this true?
                Pitching tunes up or down was a common thing to do back in the day, to find that "sweet spot" where the tune sounded the best. So more of a production technique than todays autotune cheating.

If it was done with Supernaut, or any other Sab-tune, i've got no info on, but i wouldn't be surprised...
                95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
                Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Comment

Originally posted by Shoopsy View Post
                  That means Tony would have to have been tuned even lower because when they speed up the tape it would have changed the key the band played in. Those songs are authentic and this is just another post on You Tube trying to deny any thing positive about Ozzy. Ozzy was damn close to recreating those live back then as his voice naturally got high as he got a little older. In a controlled studio environment I have no doubt he was able to hit those notes.
                  Religion won't save me
                  The damage is done
                  The future has ended
                  Before it's begun
                  - Damaged Soul - Black Sabbath

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
                    That means Tony would have to have been tuned even lower because when they speed up the tape it would have changed the key the band played in. Those songs are authentic and this is just another post on You Tube trying to deny any thing positive about Ozzy. Ozzy was damn close to recreating those live back then as his voice naturally got high as he got a little older. In a controlled studio environment I have no doubt he was able to hit those notes.
                    Good points Drago. It was a comment on the Never Say Die! Live video defending Ozzy because people said he couldn't hit the notes. I believe he was referring to changing the pitch of just the vocal track, but I doubt it was true, honestly. Either way... Ozzy's voice on songs like The Writ never fail to blow me away.

Comment

According to everyone when I was growing up it was Satan

Comment

What Tony said was that the reason they tuned their guitars to C# (a step and a half down below E on Master of Reality) was to make it easy for Ozzy. I'm sure Ozzy sung it but what happened is the whole band tuned down to accomadate Ozzy so he didn't have to sing higher. It made it heavier too and basically created a groundbreaking genre that bands like Soundgarden copied. Ozzy is a high larynx singer. Don't get me wrong, he sounded awesome on the first record but then I think he just didn't have a technique it was pretty much hit or miss. DIO himself said something to the extent of 'Ozzy is a character singer and I'm a technical singer'. The reason people like Ozzy is because they like his voice even though it's not technically perfect, it works with the music.

Comment

I've also seen interviews where Tony claims he detuned (and used lighter gauge strings) because standard tuning hurt his fingers. I think I believe that more than the Ozzy thing. I know they play some songs in lower keys now because of Ozzy, but I don't think that's why they detuned back in the day.
                          In the fields the bodies burning, as the war machine keeps turning.

Comment

Originally posted by WallOfSleep View Post
                            I've also seen interviews where Tony claims he detuned (and used lighter gauge strings) because standard tuning hurt his fingers. I think I believe that more than the Ozzy thing. I know they play some songs in lower keys now because of Ozzy, but I don't think that's why they detuned back in the day.
                            Especially since as they tuned lower, the vocal melodies got higher.

I don't believe the theory about speeding tapes up, either. The stuff just doesn't sound like that. Plus it would've been suicidal for Ozzy when having to perform the pitch-altered songs live.
                            https://soundcloud.com/deadloss-2

Comment

Originally posted by LouiST View Post
                              Was it hard work? Drugs? Or Ozzy just wanted to do so?
                              Ozzy's got alot of talent - He was probably born with a lot of it.

Comment

I think it had something to do with drugs.

Some drugs affect the vocal chords.

He may have also practiced and learned to sing higher, but I think it is mainly because of coke, because Master of Reality is when his voice started getting higher, and he started doing coke then.
                                You tried to suppress me
                                But nothing holds me down
                                Just when you think you're happy
                                I come around

Comment

Working...
                                X