Rock and Roll Doctor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock and Roll Doctor

I have always liked this song. But what i've read comments about this song, seems like a lot of people don't like it. Why's that? Is it somehow UnSabbathy or what? I think that Ozzy eras magic was that they tried lot of different stuff and not just doom and gloom.

Originally posted by BlackAdder View Post
    I have always liked this song. But what i've read comments about this song, seems like a lot of people don't like it. Why's that? Is it somehow UnSabbathy or what? I think that Ozzy eras magic was that they tried lot of different stuff and not just doom and gloom.
    I like it, but in comparison to most of their music, it is a tad dated and hokey. Not a bad song, but not a great song by any means.
    Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Now in Darkness View Post
        Not a bad song, but not a great song by any means.
        One of the good songs on a less good album, IMO. Cool R&R-tune, but far, FAR away from anything they did on their top... One of their good "later-years commercial pop-rock" songs like (pretty much) the first half of NSD!...

Originally posted by Rollerjoint View Post
        I just love the smile on Geezers face there
        Last edited by Billy Underdog; 07-18-2013, 11:09 AM.
        95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
        Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Comment

R&R Doctor, the only song off TE I could do without... it's a style, Chuck Berry-ish maybe that Sabbath doesn't do that well... it was an experiment at a time when they were looking to experiment and maybe stay ahead of the pending music change thta was already permeating the airways and POP CULTURE...at that time... luckily as we've seen over the eyars and surely today with 13... they were bigger than just a flash in the pan flavor of the day band like so many other rockers... but I don't particlary care fr R&R Dr., except the ending part where Ozzy starts singing those ooh yea's, ala Robert Plant like, I kinda liked that...

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

Originally posted by Billy Underdog View Post
          One of the good songs on a less good album, IMO. Cool R&R-tune, but far, FAR away from anything they did on their top... One of their good "later-years commercial pop-rock" songs like (pretty much) the first half of NSD!...

I just love the smile on Geezers face there
          Who is the guy and what's he injecting in Geezer?!
          "Music is so sacred to me that I can’t hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
          R. Blackmore

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
            Who is the guy and what's he injecting in Geezer?!
            The guy is probably THE "R&R Doctor", and what he's injecting Geezer with is a needle...

What's in the needle though; i know they only tested heroin a few (?) times in the very early 70's (Hand Of Doom. Ozzy said in his book something like he and Geezer tested it a few times, he himself just got sick and didn't bother with it, but Geezer continued on for a little while), but as this is late 70's it's probably coke. Never imagined any of them ever shot (used needles) though, but if it had to be one, it had to be Geezer... (And that's not a nasty thing to say, though needles are nasty stuff... It's just a feeling i get when i look to the west, and my spirit is crying for leaving... And Geezer being Geezer...)
            95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!

Comment

The guy is probably THE "R&R Doctor", and what he's injecting Geezer with is a needle...

What's in the needle though; i know they only tested heroin a few (?) times in the very early 70's (Hand Of Doom. Ozzy said in his book something like he and Geezer tested it a few times, he himself just got sick and didn't bother with it, but Geezer continued on for a little while), but as this is late 70's it's probably coke. Never imagined any of them ever shot (used needles) though, but if it had to be one, it had to be Geezer... (And that's not a nasty thing to say, though needles are nasty stuff... It's just a feeling i get when i look to the west, and my spirit is crying for leaving... And Geezer being Geezer...)
              Ahhh, yes, but a new day will dawn, for those who stand long, and the forests will echo with laughter.

Comment

I like the song. To me it's the only other one that stands out on TE besides the great Dirty Women, just like the only one on NSD is Never Say Die. I just can't get into those 2 albums, the only ones I don't have on CD. Other fans like them and that's OK.

Comment

Originally posted by led sabbath View Post
                  I like the song. To me it's the only other one that stands out on TE besides the great Dirty Women, just like the only one on NSD is Never Say Die. I just can't get into those 2 albums, the only ones I don't have on CD. Other fans like them and that's OK.
                  Give 'em a few more spins. You are depriving yourself of some good music there, albeit different from the rest.

Comment

Great Song,Great Album,Great Tour,It Holds a Lot of Memories For Me.

Comment

Originally posted by Now in Darkness View Post
                      Ahhh, yes, but a new day will dawn, for those who stand long, and the forests will echo with laughter.
                      Exactly!!!! He was the most "experimental" back then, but've becomed the "straightest" of them now.

Wow, didn't see my tounge-in-cheek nod to the LZ-lyric becoming so prominent in my point there. I think you're transending from a Wizard to a Deity, NiD. In lack of an icon that shows me bowing my face to the ground in honor i'll just throw out a

Comment

Originally posted by BlackAdder View Post
                        If I had to choose the absolute lousiest track Sabbath have ever done, this one is a good candidate. Un-Sabbathy, sure, but apart from that, IMO it's just plain bad. The old R&R style of music doesn't appeal to me, I find the lyrics stupid and the song is really repetitive, to boot.
                        https://soundcloud.com/deadloss-2

Comment

I like this tune!!!!
                          You wanna pick a shit one from TE then go for it's alright!
                          Vote leave if u want totally cool either way

Comment

Exactly!!!! He was the most "experimental" back then, but've becomed the "straightest" of them now.

Wow, didn't see my tounge-in-cheek nod to the LZ-lyric becoming so prominent in my point there. I think you're transending from a Wizard to a Deity, NiD. In lack of an icon that shows me bowing my face to the ground in honor i'll just throw out a
                            Billy, hanging out in your BSO presence, on a daily basis, just makes my life better. I wish you were closer so we could geek out on some Sabbath Mk1 and tell Dio jokes.

Just kidding Dio fans!!! Nobdoy loves Mob Rules more than me.
                            Last edited by Now in Darkness; 07-18-2013, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rollerjoint View Post
                              probably just geezer getting various shots to safely tour various countries with different strains of flu. concerning this song, with apologies, I must say I can't stand it.

Comment

Working...
                              X