No announcement yet.

Rock and Roll Doctor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really liked R&R Doctor when the album came out but now my least favorite on the album. I do think it's a good song though but as others have said definitely "un-sabbathy". It sounds popish. Dig the cowbell though and definitely can "relate" to the lyrics. Love the rest of the album. Wish they would break out something live like You Won't Change Me, All Moving Parts, or Gypsy.

Comment

It's one of my favourites on the album. That riff is so fun and Ozzy rocks on it.

Comment

I don't think you shoot H into your upper arm. Prob B-12 or a vaccine of some sorts..

Comment

Originally posted by BlackAdder View Post
          I have always liked this song. But what i've read comments about this song, seems like a lot of people don't like it. Why's that? Is it somehow UnSabbathy or what? I think that Ozzy eras magic was that they tried lot of different stuff and not just doom and gloom.
          This song epitomizes their efforts to get to more straightforward rock. The song itself is indicative of the time it was made. The riffs while they sound like Sabbath, could have come from Boston, Grand Funk, or any number of others from 75-76. Because of that it doesnt have as much of a classic or timeless feel to it compared to something like War Pigs, or Snowblind.
          I dont hate the song, but it sounds more like Sabbath goofing off to me like Blue Suede Shoes. But it doesnt suck or anything..

The title always reminds me of this old comedy bit from the late 70's, early 80's.. I remember FM radio at that time ... this isn't too far off from reality back then..

Last edited by devstorm; 07-18-2013, 07:35 PM.
          The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Comment

The live version on the never say did dvd is great. Starts with an insane bill ward solo

Comment

You know how some of you were all excited to hear "13" ,well i was like that when technical came out,i'll tell you this at that time was'nt many hard rock bands around
              Black Sabbath Were It !!
              and still are ,when bill ward gets behind the skins.

Comment

I think the whole thing with the song is that Sabbath almost always avoided doing straight "rock and roll." Most of their contemporaries did a fair share of it. Whether Purple, Zeppelin, Mountain, Heep, etc., many bands would do the Chuck Berry, Little Richard inspired thing but Sabbath never fell into that trap. They maintained a theme of innovation almost constantly. Doing "old time rock and roll," boogie woogie or "crowd pleasing" cover tunes and all of that just was not their bag at all.

So with "Rock And Roll Doctor," it gave them a chance to just escape that for a moment and lighten up with their attitude about doing a number like that. To some extent, they were in similar territory with "Sabbra Cadabra," but this really was even more straightforward. However, it also showed that even when doing a more "straight ahead" rock and roller, it was uniquely Sabbath, and the middle section was absolutely brilliant and really out of left field. So they just couldn't play it completely "straight ahead" even if they tried.
                Last edited by Jeff; 07-19-2013, 01:18 AM.
                "It is not opinion that Ozzy peaked on Sabotage, it is a measurable fact."
                -WTB

Comment

I see, when anybody else does it, it's a trap, but when Sabbath do it, it's wonderful. That doesn't sound too biased.
                  Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

Comment

Originally posted by Now in Darkness View Post
                    I see, when anybody else does it, it's a trap, but when Sabbath do it, it's wonderful. That doesn't sound too biased.
                    Not at all. "Trap" was probably the wrong word. I just don't think 70s heavy rock groups covering, say ... Chuck Berry or Eddie Cochran tunes is a sound that has aged all that well.

In hard rock, one must admit that many groups did let the influence of Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Eddie Cochran and so forth take up a portion of their show. Sabbath never did this. They gave you a full on assault of original rock. Some jazz/blues influence worked its way into live sets, but even in this respect Sabbath had their own take on that sound. In fact Iommi's jazz guitar work is rarely discussed but it is almost entirely unique in terms of its application in rock.

So with respect to "Rock and Roll Doctor," it keeps with the entire album's approach which to me is obvious: They set out to drop their attitude about all of these things which were common in rock. Singing about sex, doing "rock and roll" numbers, breezy, light rock like "It's Alright," a string drenched ballad like "She's Gone," a little "funk" in "All Moving Parts," etc.

Interestingly, the album still has a certain Sabbath stamp on it and many love it. To me, it's the worst of the original eight, but I like it and find it a very interesting endeavor. They tried to change and progress but unfortunately in adopting all of these things which they had mostly refused to incorporate over the years, the overall sound was a bit misguided by their standards. It was if they were saying: "Hey, we can do all of these things that everybody else does but in our own way so it will be fresh and, besides ... we'll do it better." Unfortunately, in tossing out some of the principles that guided their compositional and lyrical approach for so long, they lost too much identity for some fans to accept the new sound. Somewhat odd, because the music and lyrics are still quite innovative except they are more designed to appeal to a wider audience and perhaps try to snag some fans who had pinned them into a certain corner. The problem is that sometimes your "corner" is where your musical brand exists. You can stretch its boundaries a whole lot if you are clever and Sabbath did, but leave the corner entirely and some fans will also leave, but not with you.
                    -WTB

Comment

Thanks for explaining. There is always some subjectivity in personal preference, but I get your point now.
                      Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

Comment

They can play Chuck Berry type stuff very well actually, just listne to Blue Suede Shoes, they rip thru that, Iommi's solo is blazing... but R&R Dr. seems to lumber about, it sounds aukward to my ears...
                        "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
                        R. Blackmore

Comment

Originally posted by mikesline View Post
                          You know how some of you were all excited to hear "13" ,well i was like that when technical came out,i'll tell you this at that time was'nt many hard rock bands around
                          Black Sabbath Were It !!
                          and still are ,when bill ward gets behind the skins.
                          You must have disappointed by that turd

Comment

Never really like this song. especially Ozzy's vocals live just kills my ears.

Comment

I have a version that I pitch shifted down to C# tuning - sounds way better at the lower tuning: much more powerful. I actually did that with the whole TE album (except for It's Alright) and found it to be a much more listenable album for my tastes.
                              In the fields the bodies burning, as the war machine keeps turning.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
                                They can play Chuck Berry type stuff very well actually, just listne to Blue Suede Shoes, they rip thru that, Iommi's solo is blazing...
                                The point I made had nothing to do with how well they can play Chuck Berry stuff.
                                -WTB

Comment

Working...
                                X