Rock and Roll Doctor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
    The point I made had nothing to do with how well they can play Chuck Berry stuff.
    That's true and I do agree with your point or points as I share them myself regarding TE and this era in their career...living through it myself, they were trying to "expand" their influence or stay relivent to the music scene which was changing quite quickly and drastically in 1976... I've always liked the album myself because it has some of Tony's best soloing efforts, alot of feeling was put put into them and his technique had improved so much that he quit double tracking leads to fill in the gaps so to speak...
    in fact, I believe SBS was the last album you ever heard Iommi double tracking his solos...
    "Music is so sacred to me that I can’t hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
    R. Blackmore

Comment

Originally posted by OZZYIRONMAN View Post
      You must have disappointed by that turd
      I thought the same thing when i heard NSD! The album not the song. The intro to RnR doctor is sweet. The song is crap!

---------- Post added at 12:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 AM ----------

Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
      That's true and I do agree with your point or points as I share them myself regarding TE and this era in their career...living through it myself, they were trying to "expand" their influence or stay relivent to the music scene which was changing quite quickly and drastically in 1976... I've always liked the album myself because it has some of Tony's best soloing efforts, alot of feeling was put put into them and his technique had improved so much that he quit double tracking leads to fill in the gaps so to speak...
      in fact, I believe SBS was the last album you ever heard Iommi double tracking his solos...
      Great observation!

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
        There are double tracked solos all over Sabotage. Some of his most brilliant. I think you are talking about what could better be called double solos, where he'd get a couple of solos going and allow them to meet up but also spin off on their own. A really cool sound.

Anyway ... I agree about his solos on TE. They are some of the most ridiculously difficult yet melodic solos I have ever heard. Frankly, I'm not even sure solos like the ones on "You Won't Change Me" could even be transcribed without countless hours of work and even that would be no guarantee. They are just so unique, with so many little phrasings, bends and runs that are pure Tony that to even figure out all the notes would be incredibly difficult. I know Tony is a very humble man in speaking about his guitar work, but I am not exaggerating when I say that some of those solos he pulls off on Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die! are some of the trickiest, mot innovative rock solos I have ever heard. Partly because they don't use patterns or flurries of pre-conceived runs. They are absolutely brilliant improvisations. Stunning.
        "It is not opinion that Ozzy peaked on Sabotage, it is a measurable fact."
        -WTB

Comment

Originally posted by OZZYIRONMAN View Post
          You must have disappointed by that turd
          and your a sabbath fan ?? "are you one of those fans sabbath personally did'nt like" ?? yelling "IRON MAN" "PARANOID"???
          sorry i could never call any work of tony's a turd.
          Last edited by mikesline; 07-20-2013, 02:40 AM.

Comment

It's said that Saxon ripped off the end riff for 'Wheels Of Steel'. And you'll also notice the 'Ooh Yeah's' too.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
              There are double tracked solos all over Sabotage. Some of his most brilliant. I think you are talking about what could better be called double solos, where he'd get a couple of solos going and allow them to meet up but also spin off on their own. A really cool sound.

Anyway ... I agree about his solos on TE. They are some of the most ridiculously difficult yet melodic solos I have ever heard. Frankly, I'm not even sure solos like the ones on "You Won't Change Me" could even be transcribed without countless hours of work and even that would be no guarantee. They are just so unique, with so many little phrasings, bends and runs that are pure Tony that to even figure out all the notes would be incredibly difficult. I know Tony is a very humble man in speaking about his guitar work, but I am not exaggerating when I say that some of those solos he pulls off on Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die! are some of the trickiest, mot innovative rock solos I have ever heard. Partly because they don't use patterns or flurries of pre-conceived runs. They are absolutely brilliant improvisations. Stunning.
              Yes, double solos... and your spot on about You Won't Change Me, incredible soloing in that one, classic Iommi, dripping with pure feeling and emotion, blues on over drive!
              "Music is so sacred to me that I can’t hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
              R. Blackmore

Comment

The shot is intra-muscular, not intra-venous. Therefore, it's probably not illegal drugs but steroids or as someone else said a flu shot or other vaccine.

Rock N Roll Doctor sucks ass. Ozzy is too screechy and the whole thing is too cliché. I'd like it better without Ozzy on it.

Comment

Originally posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
                  The shot is intra-muscular, not intra-venous. Therefore, it's probably not illegal drugs but steroids or as someone else said a flu shot or other vaccine.
                  Yes, this. Possibly a vitamin B shot.
                  Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

Comment

I love this song!!!, the riff was amazing(when i listen wheels of steel of saxon on the first time reminds me on rock n roll doctor) and has a powerfull vocal from ozzy. On the symptom of paranoid bootleg(one of best sabbath bootleg) has a alternative version, maybe the first version (not first time played) and was amazing too
                    Just remeber love is life and hate is living dead
                    Treat your life for what it's worth and live for every breath
                    Looking back I've lived and learned, but now I'm wondering
                    Here I wait and only guess what the next life will bring
                    Ha Ha!!!!

Comment

Terrible song! Nothing AT ALL to do with Black Sabbath. It sounds like they were listening to too much B.T.O. and Foghat. In short order, they were trying to be something they weren't. In my opinion, they weren't experimenting, they were just cashing in on a sound that was popular at the time. One of the WORST songs from the original lineup EVER!

Comment

Originally posted by mikesline View Post
                        and your a sabbath fan ?? "are you one of those fans sabbath personally did'nt like" ?? yelling "IRON MAN" "PARANOID"???
                        Well put!! Tony Iommi is the icon and technical ecstasy is well.. Ecstasy!! I love that album.
                        www.downtrendmetal.com

Comment

Originally posted by mikesline View Post

Thats the only Ozzy era album I rarely listen to. I do like Dirty Women and You Won't Change Me

Comment

"I'm just another Back Street kid. Rock N' Roll music is the only thing I really dig. Can't stop the music going round inside my head. I'm a rock N' roll soldier gonna play it until i'm dead."

How can someone not love that.
                            www.downtrendmetal.com

Comment

Originally posted by axeman_12656 View Post
                              "I'm just another Back Street kid. Rock N' Roll music is the only thing I really dig. Can't stop the music going round inside my head. I'm a rock N' roll soldier gonna play it until i'm dead."

How can someone not love that.
                              That's Back Street Kids - this thread's about R&R Doctor.
                              In the fields the bodies burning, as the war machine keeps turning.

Comment

Originally posted by WallOfSleep View Post
                                That's Back Street Kids - this thread's about R&R Doctor.
                                I know SMARTY PANTS!! But the few post before mine were debating Technical Ecstasy as an album.
                                www.downtrendmetal.com

Comment

Working...
                                X