Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I'm wearing my Sabbath T-shirt at the Grocery Store...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I'm wearing my Sabbath T-shirt at the Grocery Store...

It's a reproduction Vintage shirt, shamed to say from Hot Topic, about six years old (before the Merch Lawsuits.)

An employee 45ish says "Black Sabbath is my favorite band! I saw them X times with Dio, Ozzy, Ozzfest...etc..."

"Cool," I say, "Have you heard the new album yet?"

"Nope!" he says, as I this is acceptable.

What gives??? How can Sabbath be your favorite band and you haven't heard 13?

I've heard this now a few times.

Aggravating.

Maybe he recognized you from your posts on BSO, and was afraid you'd twist off in the grocery store if he said that he liked Ozzy's work on "13".
    Last edited by Now in Darkness; 08-02-2013, 12:24 PM.
    Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

Comment

Similar story.

Just this past Monday, I was also wearing a Black Sabbath shirt. I was at a pizza joint in this area and the guy who sat us...

Him: "Nice shirt! Love Sabbath! You seeing them next month?"

Me: "Definitely! You gonna be there?"

Him: "Nah, can't afford it right now. I'm pretty excited about the new album coming out though."

Me: "It's been out since June!"

Him: "Oh really? I didn't even know. I'll have to check it out."

So there...someone KNEW they were coming to town, KNEW they had new material, but had no idea it's been out for nearly 2 months now.

Equally aggravating, and just as much startling. Makes you wonder how much better the album could have done considering the people who still have no clue.
      ***Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of other internet people, the internet police or the internet in general. It is to be assumed that all sentences are automatically followed by "IMO, BUDDY" as to not offend other internet people and start an internet fight.

Comment

Originally posted by hipster doofus View Post
        Similar story.

Just this past Monday, I was also wearing a Black Sabbath shirt. I was at a pizza joint in this area and the guy who sat us...
        Oh yeah! Beer, pizza, and Sabbath. I could eat 3 square meals of that everyday!

Comment

Originally posted by Now in Darkness View Post
          Maybe he recognized you from your posts on BSO, and was afraid you'd twist off in the grocery store if he said that he liked Ozzy's work on "13".
          haha!!! This is a good one.

BTW, I'm sorry for getting upset earlier. Just felt like that was twice that William the bloody called me out.

But anyway, William the bloody i have been in similar sutuations. It just seems like many people don't wanna give an older band a chance with their new material. I don't understand that.
          www.downtrendmetal.com

Comment

Originally posted by axeman_12656 View Post
            haha!!! This is a good one.

BTW, I'm sorry for getting upset earlier. Just felt like that was twice that William the bloody called me out.
            It's pretty hard to respect a whimp who doesn't take a stand. You got it off your chest, and I think that you matched the level of antagonism against you. Seems fair, and I respect you for it. It can't be all love and roses. Even Doc wades into the fray from time to time.
            Last edited by Now in Darkness; 08-02-2013, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Same happened to me. Asked the guy how hes liking the new album and he said hadnt heard it yet because hes"old school"

Comment

I play in a Sabbath Tribute here in the UK. We're reasonably busy, out most weekends and it's amazing how many people we talk to after a show that have not heard or even realise that "13" is out. There are definitely more people asking us if we are going to include any of the new stuff in our set though and it does make me smile a bit as I'm sure that sales of the new album will continue at a good rate.
                Andreaus

Comment

Axeman - If you were apologizing to me, there's no need at all, ergo accepted. I have a habit on forums to assume everyone is my friend, therefore I am free to yell, insult, be sarcastic, and all manner of things. Further, I can like someone just fine in one thread and want them destroyed in another. It's all just discussion and time-killing. At the end of the day, Sabbath is the best and that's that.

Comment

Same thing happens(ed) to me. Spread the word to the infidels, 13 is infuckingcredible!
                    "Too many people advising me, but they don't know what my eyes see." ~ The Writ

Comment

I just thought of something funny to do in this situation. If somebody says they haven't listened to 13 just walk away with a look of disgust on your face. Ha ha

Comment

Funny thing happened today, I was at the Diner having breakfast, I was wearing my Never Say Die! T-shirt the one with the pilot face on it, I walked up to the register to pay my bill, and the lady behind the register smiled at me and asked me if I read the article in the newspaper about Sabbath. I said no, so she handed me the newspaper magazine from the Star Ledger and told me she was a fan, she was an older woman, I responded by saying they are my favorite band and that I'm going to see them tomorrow at the PNC Arts center.

She told me she had seen them several times, I smiled back at her and said so have I, I then thanked her for the newspaper article and wished her a good day, I couldn't talk to her further because there was a line of people waiting to pay their bills, or I would've loved to chat with her more, it did my heart good and made my day.
                        "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                        "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                        ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

That happened to me at Gamestop on 13's release day actually. A guy commented on my SBS shirt and told me he was a fan of their older stuff. I go on saying about I am a big fan myself and I was picking up their new album "13." I told him that the original lineup was back together minus Bill Ward. He didn't know they had a new album or that the original lineup was together again. I pulled it out of the bag and handed it to him to show him. I couldn't say how it was because I hadn't heard it at that time.

Comment

I think it just goes to show:

Some people aren't really people. Total NPCs, set-dressing. Real people have something called "Awareness." Or, I am being to hard on people, and maybe I'm missing out on opportunities to be the "cool guy who knows stuff" and make new friends. Hmmm, going to have to meditate on this one. (Que: Loner)

Comment

My conclusion is that the people you are talking about here are casual fans not only of Sabbath but of music in general. They don't spend any time at all really on checking out new music beacuse they have other interests. If something is continously thrown at them in commercials etc, they might reflect on if they like it or not, but not even a band they actually like is worthy of being checked out actively. I was like that for a long, long time and still seem a bit like that with some bands I do like but who never seem to get enough attention, like Tangerine Dream, Camel and Procol Harum. I would say I'm a "fan" of them and gladly chat with someone with a Procol Harum t-shirt etc, but I only own one album, and even though I love that one to death I haven't checked out much more of them at all, I don't know anything about any recent reunions etc etc. Everyone can't be a fanboy of everything, there's not enough time for that :D

As for any of my own stories, I often wear my NSD, MoR, H&H, HC or general Sabbath t-shirts, I don't think I've ever got a comment from anyone other than my friends. So at least you guys meet people who think they are fans
                              "I am the crazy man who lives inside your head, but I think I'm breaking through the wall... You are the innocent convicted of the crime, no one was ever there to catch you when you fall" (1992)
                              -Ronnie James Dio, Rest in Peace

"In the summer days we flew to the sun, on melting wings, but the seasons changed to fast, leave us all behind... Blind..." (1969)
                              - Jon Lord, Rest in Peace

My first album!!!:
                              http://open.spotify.com/album/60jv1AdlWvi1KlcR8JhG4b

Comment

Working...
                              X