Best concert opener?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best concert opener?

What do you guys think is the best show opener they used? Not the best song per se, but the best song for starting a show.

On the Paranoid tour they opened with Paranoid but in early 1971 they switched to NIB and moved Paranoid near the end of the set. NIB was the opener throughout 1971 and the whole Master of Reality tour but was dropped from the set completely in 1972. It was replaced by Tomorrow's Dream, which stayed as the opener through 1974 but (like NIB) was dropped from the set in 1975. Killing Yourself to Live opened for the Sabotage Tour but only lasted the one tour and was dropped. The last song they opened with under Ozzy was Symptom of the universe, which lasted from 1976 to 1978.

Flashforward 20 years to the Reunion era. For every tour from 1997 to 2005 the opening song would be War Pigs, with the exception of 2001 and 2005 when NIB was used again. For the 2012 shows they experimented with Black Sabbath and Into the Void but for the 13 tour fell back on War Pigs.

So barring anomalies, this is the list:

Paranoid
    NIB
    Tomorrow's Dream
    Killing Yourself to Live
    Symptom of the Universe
    War Pigs
    Black Sabbath
    Into the Void

Which do you think is the best way to start a show. And which song do you think would be better but wasn't used?

Personally, I prefer it when a show starts with a 1-2 punch, something energetic to set the pace. I think Symptom of the Universe was the best opener they did (wish I had been able to see that!) but I think Paranoid and Tomorrow's Dream would make a good opening pair, two up tempo rockers to get the ball rolling. War Pigs has always seemed like a weird choice to me, it seems like something more suitable for an encore (in the tradition of closing on a big finale) and by now it's getting stale as an opener.

SOTU...couldn't do it now but I saw them when they did.

Comment

SyMpToM oF tHe UnIvErSe WaS bEsT!!

Comment

Originally posted by mikesline View Post
        SyMpToM oF tHe UnIvErSe WaS bEsT!!
        I bet it was!!!!!! For now War Pigs is fine but I also would have really dug Tomorrows Dream, not sure Ozzy could handle that now....
        Upping The Irons and Defending The Faith

Comment

Originally posted by Never Satisfied View Post
          I bet it was!!!!!! For now War Pigs is fine but I also would have really dug Tomorrows Dream, not sure Ozzy could handle that now....
          Ozzy can still handle it.

Keep in mind that he was still drinking there and was nowhere near as good as he is now.

Comment

War Pigs is the ultimate opener for them I think... Tomorrow's Dream is not only a bad opener, it's a boring song, one of my least favorite BS songs... I don't know why they ever chose that to open. Children OTG would be a great opener.
            "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
            R. Blackmore

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
              War Pigs is the ultimate opener for them I think... Tomorrow's Dream is not only a bad opener, it's a boring song, one of my least favorite BS songs... I don't know why they ever chose that to open. Children OTG would be a great opener.
              Yeah, Tomorrows Dream is one of my all time favorites. It's a great song. People all over the world really seem to like it. I would never, ever go so far as to call War Pigs boring, I am a fan of Black Sabbath, but it would be interesting to see them open with another number.
              Upping The Irons and Defending The Faith

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
                COTG would be a crazy opener. That rumbling intro, tension builds then BAM! Song kicks in, curtain drops and maybe some fireworks go off for good measure. I also think COTG would work really well a final encore (which they've done before). It also works where it is now, as the main set closer. Really, it's just an awesome song that can go anywhere.

Comment

In my opinion Sabbath hasn't a real opener songs, They don't fit quite well as openers. BUT Children Of The Grave would be a blast, but in order to Play it as an opener they'd be obliged to drop Embryo

Comment

Originally posted by Lucius Morthem View Post
                    In my opinion Sabbath hasn't a real opener songs, They don't fit quite well as openers. BUT Children Of The Grave would be a blast, but in order to Play it as an opener they'd be obliged to drop Embryo
                    They already have.

Comment

I like Paranoid as the opener. Get it over with. Then, when it's time for the encore, surprise us with something different.
                      In the fields the bodies burning, as the war machine keeps turning.

Comment

Originally posted by WallOfSleep View Post
                        I like Paranoid as the opener. Get it over with. Then, when it's time for the encore, surprise us with something different.
                        Hell yeah. My ideal (feasible) Sabbath set would open with Paranoid and Tomorrow's Dream (build on pre-concert buzz and set the pace, Zeppelin was AMAZING at doing this) and have War Pigs and Children of the Grave as encores. Then everything in between? The really fun stuff.

Comment

I love PARANOID as opener. Ozzy opened with it the first time I saw him in 1996 and it brings it!!!
                          www.downtrendmetal.com

Comment

Personally I think black sabbath works really well as a opener, but would like to see end of the beginning open the show on this tour, war pigs would be cool as a encore I reckon,

Not arsed about paranoid, it's the only sab song I really don't care for live.
                            Vote leave if u want totally cool either way

Comment

You should make this a poll question!
                              In the fields the bodies burning, as the war machine keeps turning.

Comment

Working...
                              X