X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Typhon
    replied
    Originally posted by Charger View Post
    Was It Illusion isn't even correct...it would have to be Was is an illusion...and it clearly isn't.

Also the only lyric page you need to check is : http://www.black-sabbath.com/discogr...bbath/volume4/

Since these lyrics are checked by Geezer himself and thus proven correct.
    Your lyrics page may be what Geezer wrote. However, I am not claiming what Geezer wrote.
    I claiming what Ozzy sings. Just like in the 3rd verse-3rd line. Your lyrics page says:

Try your hardest, just to be a loser

This is not what Ozzy sings. It is:

Try your hardest, you'll still be a loser

The way Ozzy sings it is what matters to me.

Leave a comment:

• Billy Underdog
    replied
    Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
    have sex and get high and hold up a few peace signs
    Doesn't sound like Ozzy at all...

Originally posted by Now in Darkness View Post
    there is more than one way to skin a cat
    Something i guess the second wave of Haight-Ashbury pilgrims on speed and heroin rather than pot and acid found out. By late '67 money were becoming so sparse they actually ate cats. Goodnatured, lover-of-all-life hippies

Leave a comment:

• Wicked Cricket
    replied
    It's clearly "was AN illusion.." the fairy tales and stories of childhood, the lyricist isn't asking a question... was it? He's stating that his childhood memories or images of life were an illusion... and Ozzy clearly sings that in the song... I still hear "I tell you to end your life" in Paranoid but I now know the true lyrics... but your brain hears it the way you trained it... my 2 examples toung in cheek, are far closer sounding than was an vs was it?...

Leave a comment:

• Charger
    replied
    Originally posted by Typhon View Post
    Have checked a dozen different lyrics websites. All 12 say "Was it illusion?"
    This would seem to make more sense in the song as well. In the 1st two verses he is thinking about
    life. Trying to figure out what it's all about. He hasn't drawn any conclusions yet. Then in the final
    verse he presents his conclusion.
    Was It Illusion isn't even correct...it would have to be Was is an illusion...and it clearly isn't.

Also the only lyric page you need to check is : http://www.black-sabbath.com/discogr...bbath/volume4/

Since these lyrics are checked by Geezer himself and thus proven correct.

Leave a comment:

• Now in Darkness
    replied
    Originally posted by Typhon View Post
    This would seem to make more sense in the song as well. In the 1st two verses he is thinking about
    life. Trying to figure out what it's all about. He hasn't drawn any conclusions yet. Then in the final
    I agree......

Leave a comment:

• Typhon
    replied
    Originally posted by Charger View Post
    Nope...it's "Was an illusion" for sure. Just put your headphones on and listen carefully.

Leave a comment:

• Wicked Cricket
    replied
    "I tell you to end your life... I wish I could but it's too late..!" -

"Scuse me while I kiss this guy!"

Leave a comment:

• sterling#sound
    replied
    I'm glad I found a bunch of people who are as passionate about Sabbath on a conceptual and intellectual level. I'm glad I'm not alone. Rick Rubin said in an interview that Sabbath could be enjoyed both at a 'high' and a 'low' level, and I agree with that.

Leave a comment:

• Now in Darkness
    replied
    Originally posted by WallOfSleep View Post
    I don't know what Geezer's motives were but I've always identified with that lyric's cynicism. It's kind of an "I don't trust anybody" vibe - which is the thrust of the entire song. He probably saw as much hypocrisy in the peace movement as in any other. I'm just guessing though. I certainly don't mean to come off as "anti-peace". As a Libertarian, that is the farthest thing from MY reality.
    Hmmm, interesting thought. Its possible, but I don't really see that reflected in the lyrics, especially around the MOR era, when he was wearing man dresses and stuff. Will have to dig into the lyrics more to see if I see cynicism toward the peace movement. Nothing comes to mind. I do see lots of cynicism toward every other aspect of the establishment though. Geezer seemed to rail against hypocrisy, even to this day, with Dear Father.
    Last edited by Now in Darkness; 11-02-2013, 01:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• WallOfSleep
    replied
    I don't know what Geezer's motives were but I've always identified with that lyric's cynicism. It's kind of an "I don't trust anybody" vibe - which is the thrust of the entire song. He probably saw as much hypocrisy in the peace movement as in any other. I'm just guessing though. I certainly don't mean to come off as "anti-peace". As a Libertarian, that is the farthest thing from MY reality.

Leave a comment:

• Now in Darkness
    replied
    Progress isn't always good NID, but yes, to each their own, have a good weekend NID.
    Very true; not all progress is good. You have a good weekend too bud!
    Last edited by Now in Darkness; 11-02-2013, 11:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• OzzyIsDio
    replied
    Its all good brother. To each their own. Peace OID!!!!
    Progress isn't always good NID, but yes, to each their own, have a good weekend NID.

Leave a comment:

• Now in Darkness
    replied
    What I meant was the peace movement, "the flower power movement" was in a way sugar coating what really was going on, with all the love and peace signs.

I remember watching one of my Ozzy videos I have, I think it was "Don't Blame Me" where Ozzy says when Sabbath got their first gig here in the U.S. he remembered people telling him, "if you're going to San Francisco, be sure to wear a flower in your hair" and Ozzy said "a flower in my hair? I haven't even got shoes to put on my feet, never mind a flower in my hair" with all the death and destruction and wars going on, how the hell can these people be preaching love and flower power, when the horrors of war were real, and people were dying.

So instead of bullshit love songs and all the hippy dippy bullshit, they sang about the reality of war, death and destruction, and what would happen if we didn't change our ways, and the importance of religion, hence the songs, War Pigs, Children Of The Grave, After Forever, Electric Funeral, Into The Void, Wicked World and so forth.

That was real, not let's love one another have sex and get high and hold up a few peace signs and everything will be alright, and wars will be done with if we wear flowers.

Sabbath spoke about the horrors of war, and their outcome if we don't change our ways, if our governments don't change policy, they did it in music that was brutal and hit you hard, not some kiss on the cheek and let's hold hands across America and sing Kumbaya My Lord, and everything will be over.

This is what I meant NID, I hope I cleared things up.
    I see. Well, we are on the same page then OID. But, I am not quite as quick to dismiss the Flower Power era. There was a lot of amazing music that came out of San Francisco peace movement in those days (and England), such as the Grateful Dead, and Jefferson Airplane, to name a few. Also, there is more than one way to skin a cat, and the youth of the day were making a statement in the way that they could. They did change the world, make no mistake about it. Woodstock, the single most significant concert in the modern world, was founded on the peace movement of the day. The bottom line is that most people were working toward the same goal: some expressed it through Peace and Love, and others through statements of their discontent (Doors, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd (Corporal Clegg), etc). It was a multi-faceted approach toward the same objective, and it was all about rebelling against the perceived atrocities that were occurring at the time, and the perception that nothing was learned from WW II. War Pig's lyrics did not accomplish any more than the Beatles All You Need is Love lyrics; they were both influential in their own way, and to their own crowd. It is partly because of those approaches that we have not had a WW III, and that black kids and white kids can go to the same school, and ride on the same bus, and use the same washroom. We have lots to improve upon, but change comes from the people.

The Ozzy story sounds like BS to my ear, seeing as how his words, as described above, are clearly just quoting the Phillips et al lyrics of the song San Francisco: "If you go to San Francisco, be sure to wear some flowers in your hair. If you go to San Francisco, you're going to meet a lot of gentle people there." Its very coincidental that Ozzy supposedly had an experience that mirrored these song lyrics, but ya never know. He is Ozzy after all.

Its all good brother. To each their own. Peace OID!!!!
    Last edited by Now in Darkness; 11-02-2013, 11:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• OzzyIsDio
    replied
    Trust me, there was never a doubt in my mind. I just wanted to right the ship on this, as these values are what make Sabbath palatable to many of the people who have seen the depth and breadth beneath the Sabbath thunder. I have always admired their stance on issues. If there is a peaceable person on this forum, it is you OID.

Buuuuutttt.........I still can't really understand what you were trying to say though, if not for the obvious???
    What I meant was the peace movement, "the flower power movement" was in a way sugar coating what really was going on, with all the love and peace signs.

I remember watching one of my Ozzy videos I have, I think it was "Don't Blame Me" where Ozzy says when Sabbath got their first gig here in the U.S. he remembered people telling him, "if you're going to San Francisco, be sure to wear a flower in your hair" and Ozzy said "a flower in my hair? I haven't even got shoes to put on my feet, never mind a flower in my hair" with all the death and destruction and wars going on, how the hell can these people be preaching love and flower power, when the horrors of war were real, and people were dying.

So instead of bullshit love songs and all the hippy dippy bullshit, they sang about the reality of war, death and destruction, and what would happen if we didn't change our ways, and the importance of religion, hence the songs, War Pigs, Children Of The Grave, After Forever, Electric Funeral, Into The Void, Wicked World and so forth.

That was real, not let's love one another have sex and get high and hold up a few peace signs and everything will be alright, and wars will be done with if we wear flowers.

Sabbath spoke about the horrors of war, and their outcome if we don't change our ways, if our governments don't change policy, they did it in music that was brutal and hit you hard, not some kiss on the cheek and let's hold hands across America and sing Kumbaya My Lord, and everything will be over.

This is what I meant NID, I hope I cleared things up.

Leave a comment:

• Now in Darkness
    replied
    I didn't mean it in those terms NID, of course I prefer peace.
    Trust me, there was never a doubt in my mind. I just wanted to right the ship on this, as these values are what make Sabbath palatable to many of the people who have seen the depth and breadth beneath the Sabbath thunder. I have always admired their stance on issues. If there is a peaceable person on this forum, it is you OID.

Buuuuutttt.........I still can't really understand what you were trying to say though, if not for the obvious???
    Last edited by Now in Darkness; 11-01-2013, 09:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X