Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dave Walker Junior's Eyes 1978

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dave Walker Junior's Eyes 1978

    Forgive me, typo on the year, in the title of the thread.... 1978 is the correct year.

    ---------- Post added at 12:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 AM ----------

    I have heard this track before with Walker, but all the recordings I heard were poor quality and distorted. I found this incredibly clean version here. Maybe this is nothing new but like I said, cleanest version I have heard.

    Who knows, the Youtube poster may be a member here, and if so thanks for posting this gem! Walker did a fantastic job on this song. Honestly, I think I prefer how the band sounds on the track with this version. Incredibly tight. The band seemed to have been going through a lot of personal griefs (from what I have researched) between 76-78, but even here, with a different vocalist, the band is sounding fantastic.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ITDbIvjegg
    Last edited by sabguy88; 11-14-2013, 12:10 AM.

  • #2
    Wow that sounds really clear. Thanks. Its amazing how they sound just like any other 70s band when Ozzy isn't singing. Ozzy never gets cheesy or "cooler-than-thou" with his delivery. And when Ozzy is being dramatic its sounds real like he's really in pain or feeling loss. So many metal and rock singers just come off as bad actors from a bad soap opera trying to convince you that they are cool but Ozzy always just sounds 100 per cent genuine. (until he started letting producers tell him what to do sometime during the 1990s of course, then all the drama was played out i guess).

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by princehollow View Post
      Wow that sounds really clear. Thanks. Its amazing how they sound just like any other 70s band when Ozzy isn't singing. Ozzy never gets cheesy or "cooler-than-thou" with his delivery. And when Ozzy is being dramatic its sounds real like he's really in pain or feeling loss. So many metal and rock singers just come off as bad actors from a bad soap opera trying to convince you that they are cool but Ozzy always just sounds 100 per cent genuine. (until he started letting producers tell him what to do sometime during the 1990s of course, then all the drama was played out i guess).
      Very true, plus Dave Walker bites.
      Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by sabguy88 View Post
        Forgive me, typo on the year, in the title of the thread.... 1978 is the correct year. ---------- Post added at 12:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 AM ---------- I have heard this track before with Walker, but all the recordings I heard were poor quality and distorted. I found this incredibly clean version here. Maybe this is nothing new but like I said, cleanest version I have heard. Who knows, the Youtube poster may be a member here, and if so thanks for posting this gem! Walker did a fantastic job on this song. Honestly, I think I prefer how the band sounds on the track with this version. Incredibly tight. The band seemed to have been going through a lot of personal griefs (from what I have researched) between 76-78, but even here, with a different vocalist, the band is sounding fantastic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ITDbIvjegg
        I don't wanna be a hater but Ozzy does the song better by a long shot

        Comment


        • #5
          Much better version than I have. Wish I Could find it as a download! Thanks for sharing the clip.

          Comment


          • #6
            One of the best gems of the 70's era Sabbath , there are multiple different versions of this one exact track , this version here is a solid b+...

            It is these little moments in the history of Sabbath , that separates them from all other artist , when you look at Sabbath in retrospect , it is fantastic that the oz got the boot / or left on his own , just in time for us to get this incredible version of this most amazing track... of course its even better that the oz was allowed / or came back in time to record NSD , one of the most under rated and stellar albums in the Sabbath repertoire!

            Love David Walkers version of this tracks , the lyrics remind me of "in the ghetto" by Elvis , and there is nothing cheesy about the passion and emotion in Davids voice when laying this track out for us , just such an awesome version here!!!

            Sure there is only one OZ , that's what makes him so incredibly special , and he is the original voice of Sabbath , that doesn't in any way make him the best voice or fit for Sabbath , in fact time would give us so much more to choose from equal and better... this is what Sabbath is all about!!


            God Bless

            Comment


            • #7
              Great find .Clearest version I have heard of this yet. That being said Dave Walker is just wildly inappropriate for Sabbath. This version is a an embryonic shell of what the song would become.
              Upping The Irons and Defending The Faith

              Comment


              • #8
                CHALLENGE ~ Not an easy task but, can anyone figure out the lyrics and post them please. It would be nice to get to the bottom of the lyrical debate once and for all.

                Personally i don't mind the Dave Walker version at all.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I really enjoy Walker's vocals on this. Real, guttural type power. This version does seem to be the cleanest I've heard.

                  But if ever somebody needed to understand just what a vocal melody genius Ozzy is, what he did with this song illustrates it perfectly.
                  "It is not opinion that Ozzy peaked on Sabotage, it is a measurable fact."
                  -WTB

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Golly gosh I'm glad they didn't stick with that bloke!
                    Vote leave if u want totally cool either way

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by OZZYIRONMAN View Post
                      I don't wanna be a hater but Ozzy does the song better by a long shot
                      You got that right OZZYIRONMAN. There's only one Ozzy.
                      Nobody I know is gonna take my rock & roll away from me.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I think that this is interesting piece of Sabbath history, but I can't even pretend that it would better than Ozzy's version, there's just no "edge" and feeling what Ozzy's version has. It just sounds wrong being a Sabbath song. Seems like Sabbath was turning back to being a blues band. I think that if Dave had stayed in the band, Sabbath would have died soon and maybe that would have led to a situation where Dio would never had a right time gap to join the band and we would have missed Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by sabguy88 View Post
                          Forgive me, typo on the year, in the title of the thread.... 1978 is the correct year.

                          ---------- Post added at 12:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 AM ----------

                          I have heard this track before with Walker, but all the recordings I heard were poor quality and distorted. I found this incredibly clean version here. Maybe this is nothing new but like I said, cleanest version I have heard.

                          Who knows, the Youtube poster may be a member here, and if so thanks for posting this gem! Walker did a fantastic job on this song. Honestly, I think I prefer how the band sounds on the track with this version. Incredibly tight. The band seemed to have been going through a lot of personal griefs (from what I have researched) between 76-78, but even here, with a different vocalist, the band is sounding fantastic.

                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ITDbIvjegg
                          Fixed the title.

                          This sounds like a lift off the TV audio. I mean ultimately they all are. But I know the TV footage is cleaner than most any audio boot out there. Seems like whoever originated this version has access to the video.

                          NOTE: They also did War Pigs on this TV appearance, but Walker didn't sing it. They did it as instrumental music to be used during the TV show intros and outros. Walker was on stage with his tambourine. I know folks have talked about finding the version with War Pigs, but there isn't a holy grail there to find. The video (which isn't in circulation) doesn't have Walker singing War Pigs, unfortunately.
                          Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
                          View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

                          "Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I was emailed by someone who gave me screen caps of the TV stock footage. Their friend worked for the BBC and they made a video copy. I asked about getting a copy but was told no. Not to sound bitter as I was happy to learn the footage has survived. But as the collector I am to have this dangled in front of me and told no.
                            Pain and Poison Roses

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by EDTRADER View Post
                              I was emailed by someone who gave me screen caps of the TV stock footage. Their friend worked for the BBC and they made a video copy. I asked about getting a copy but was told no. Not to sound bitter as I was happy to learn the footage has survived. But as the collector I am to have this dangled in front of me and told no.
                              Oh, it exists alright. I know who the friend is at the BBC too most likely. I believe the couple of people I know who have this don't want to burn this guy, because if it gets out, the original guy would get in legal trouble. Right now the only place this footage exists is in the BBC archives, so if it got out, it would be known where it came from.

                              P.S. *AHEM* http://www.black-sabbath.com/theband/timeline/
                              Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
                              View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

                              "Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X