Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

Easiest Black Sabbath Song to Play on the Guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easiest Black Sabbath Song to Play on the Guitar?

Peace of Mind, though even that is by no means easy!

Electric Funeral. It helps there is no solo.
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail pic extravaganza! http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31523

Comment

Originally posted by Icy Sun View Post
      Electric Funeral. It helps there is no solo.
      The riffs in the double tempo section might be hard for a beginner at the correct tempo though.

I'd say the easiest is Paranoid, atleast the rhythm guitars. Sweet Leaf is really easy too, aside from the solo and the repesting lick before it.
      "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
      "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
      "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Comment

Paranoid would certainly get my vote. Unless you count the first half of Black Sabbath.
        www.downtrendmetal.com

Comment

I say Paranoid. It was the first one I learned. But i loved that song. I always played it in every band I was in.

Comment

Originally posted by axeman_12656 View Post
            Paranoid would certainly get my vote. Unless you count the first half of Black Sabbath.
            And unless you don't count the complete riff of "Black Sabbath." Nailing that hammer-on he does the second time through the riff is not going to be possible for a beginner.
            "It is not opinion that Ozzy peaked on Sabotage, it is a measurable fact."
            -WTB

Comment

N.I.B. is maybe a bit tricky but I remember that the solo wasn't that hard. Can't play neither the riff or solo today though ^^
              "I am the crazy man who lives inside your head, but I think I'm breaking through the wall... You are the innocent convicted of the crime, no one was ever there to catch you when you fall" (1992)
              -Ronnie James Dio, Rest in Peace

"In the summer days we flew to the sun, on melting wings, but the seasons changed to fast, leave us all behind... Blind..." (1969)
              - Jon Lord, Rest in Peace

My first album!!!:
              http://open.spotify.com/album/60jv1AdlWvi1KlcR8JhG4b

Comment

Hand Of Doom is basically the riff over and over until the middle section. Also, as far as deeper cuts go, The Writ is surprisingly easy, although the amount of layering on the studio version makes it hard to recreate ALL of the guitar parts faithfully. Overall, I agree that Electric Funeral is probably the easiest.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                  And unless you don't count the complete riff of "Black Sabbath." Nailing that hammer-on he does the second time through the riff is not going to be possible for a beginner.
                  Now I agree with that. When I learned it I practiced over and over til I nailed. it. But til this day I still hear many including professionals get this riff wrong. Even Dave Mustaine plays it wrong on the Sabbath Tribute nativity in black.

Comment

Hole in the Sky

Comment

Critics first hearing Sabbath, mainly the 1st three albums dubbed them "dim witted", "basic, simple music", "slow and dumb...", these views naturally galled at Iommi, they didn't know what to make of this new kind of "music" ... and didn't understand the intricisies of what Iommi was doing... to get the full sound, the chord vibrato, the 5th chords, power chords... no one played like this before... even Page was mainly a heavy blues player, playing style, Sabbath took Cream's Sunshine Of Your Love and made a catalog of songs out of the style... Purple was heavy because of Jon Lord's organ, not Blackmore's guitar, Blackmore played 4ths, plucking 2 strings...without the accompiament of the heavy organ, 4th's sound frail in comparison... Iommi's strong wrists and huge workingman's hands allowed him to grip the neck like like a vice and never let up on the suffocating heaviness of his music, all played with a melodic riff style that would set the stencil for everything metal and heavy to come... having such a close musical feel with his equally pioneering bass player formed the fameous "wall of sound" ...most players played Paranoid the wrong way, from the 7th fret when in fact Iommi plays it from the 12th fret... another reason most guitarists don't sound like Iommi when they try playing Sabbath stuff.

Easiest Sabbath song to play..? I don't know if any truly are if played the correct way...
                      Last edited by Wicked Cricket; 12-26-2013, 08:56 AM.
                      "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
                      R. Blackmore

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                        I agree and would like to add that the timing is pretty tricky for a beginner as well. The first 2/3's of the song Black Sabbath is based all around timing.
                        Religion won't save me
                        The damage is done
                        The future has ended
                        Before it's begun
                        - Damaged Soul - Black Sabbath

Comment

Originally posted by thewizard View Post
                          Hole in the Sky
                          I can't play the chorus riff to save my life.
                          Monty Python and the Holy Grail pic extravaganza! http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31523

Comment

This thread has nothing to do with the Ozzy era, and belongs in the Musicians Corner.

http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/show...tention-dammit!
                            Last edited by Now in Darkness; 12-26-2013, 10:20 AM.
                            Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

Comment

Definantly FX
                              Vote leave if u want totally cool either way

Comment

Working...
                              X