Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

What should the band have been called?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Originally posted by mythology View Post
    I notice that my questions never get answered :-) Nobody has tried to dispute my list regarding why it is so obvious that Sabbath would sound so different.

    Anyway, to answer your question. This stuff is off the top of my head.

    The most obvious example is Rainbow. But you can also see a general trend in a lot of bands at that time towards a heavy rock sound. Whereas Deep Purple had been relatively experimental Whitesnake were just heavy rock. AC/DC turn more towards heavy rock and away from their blues roots. Same for Judas Priest.

    I'm not criticizing this music (each to their own), but I think Sabbath became part of this trend. Certainly there is a world of difference between NSD and H&H. I cannot even conceive of Sabbath approaching something like Breakout or Swinging the Chain anymore. I personally think that is a shame. But you cannot contrive the circumstances that lead to great LPs like NSD. They are just 'of their time'.
    Rainbow is a decent example, but not a great one. I don't know if you meant to say they sound like Whitesnake, AC/DC, and Judas Priest, but if you did, you are certainly wrong.

    As for your questions going unanswered, sure I'll answer them. Yes, Heaven and Hell sounds like nothing Sabbath did before it. But the same thing could be said of Master of Reality, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Technical Ecstasy, and Never Say Die. Sabbath already changed their style significantly prior to Dio joining the band, more than once, and also a couple times downright RADICALLY. So how is the band sounding different on Heaven and Hell a good argument to call it a different band just because one member out of four is different?
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail pic extravaganza! http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31523

    Comment


    • #77
      Originally posted by mythology View Post
      I notice that my questions never get answered :-) Nobody has tried to dispute my list regarding why it is so obvious that Sabbath would sound so different.

      Anyway, to answer your question. This stuff is off the top of my head.

      The most obvious example is Rainbow. But you can also see a general trend in a lot of bands at that time towards a heavy rock sound. Whereas Deep Purple had been relatively experimental Whitesnake were just heavy rock. AC/DC turn more towards heavy rock and away from their blues roots. Same for Judas Priest.

      I'm not criticizing this music (each to their own), but I think Sabbath became part of this trend. Certainly there is a world of difference between NSD and H&H. I cannot even conceive of Sabbath approaching something like Breakout or Swinging the Chain anymore. I personally think that is a shame. But you cannot contrive the circumstances that lead to great LPs like NSD. They are just 'of their time'.
      Then again, NSD! sounds nothing like MOR or Paranoid. And could you imagine the original Sab 4 doing something like Swinging the Chain on their early albums? Of course I'm no fan of NSD! aside from a select few songs (Air Dance, Johnny Blade, the title cut) so to me H&H and Mob Rules are a welcome return to form after two dodgy albums with some moments greatness sprinkled on them.

      I just think it's quite humorous that people criticize the lineup change for resulting in a too drastic change in their sound when TE and NSD! themselves were quite a radical departures of the usual Sabbath tone. It's one of the aspect I enjoy about the two classic lineups: no albums is the same as the one's preceeding or succeeding it. Yeah, there are these "twin albums" (Paranoid and MOR, SBS and Sabotage, H&H and MR) but they are all unique musical entities showcasing how great of a band we are debating about here.

      And quality aside, which in this context is subjective anyway, I think H&H was an album that brought them back to their heavy roots that made them so special in the beginning. Then again I think Walk Away and Wishing Well wouldn't have been out of place at all on TE or NSD, they have that light sort of hard rock-ish, really melodic feel to them that is very prominent on TE in particular.

      Anywho, we have different views on the band and that's fine. I like that you are usually respective about the matter.

      EDIT: I see brother Icy Sun has already given pretty much the same arguments I just did in the last post while I was still typing mine Kudos to you!
      Last edited by -E5150 StarWanderer-; 01-22-2014, 04:33 PM.
      "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
      "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
      "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

      Comment


      • #78
        I just read this entire thread and now I'm exhausted!
        Nobody I know is gonna take my rock & roll away from me.

        Comment


        • #79
          Originally posted by -E5150 StarWanderer- View Post
          Then again, NSD! sounds nothing like MOR or Paranoid. And could you imagine the original Sab 4 doing something like Swinging the Chain on their early albums? Of course I'm no fan of NSD! aside from a select few songs (Air Dance, Johnny Blade, the title cut) so to me H&H and Mob Rules are a welcome return to form after two dodgy albums with some moments greatness sprinkled on them. I just think it's quite humorous that people criticize the lineup change for resulting in a too drastic change in their sound when TE and NSD! themselves were quite a radical departures of the usual Sabbath tone. It's one of the aspect I enjoy about the two classic lineups: no albums is the same as the one's preceeding or succeeding it. Yeah, there are these "twin albums" (Paranoid and MOR, SBS and Sabotage, H&H and MR) but they are all unique musical entities showcasing how great of a band we are debating about here. And quality aside, which in this context is subjective anyway, I think H&H was an album that brought them back to their heavy roots that made them so special in the beginning. Then again I think Walk Away and Wishing Well wouldn't have been out of place at all on TE or NSD, they have that light sort of hard rock-ish, really melodic feel to them that is very prominent on TE in particular. Anywho, we have different views on the band and that's fine. I like that you are usually respective about the matter. EDIT: I see brother Icy Sun has already given pretty much the same arguments I just did in the last post while I was still typing mine Kudos to you!
          If your brother walks through the door dressed as a woman, he's still your brother no matter what he looks like. But if a random dude walks through the door claiming to be your brother... you call the police.
          Last edited by OZZYIRONMAN; 02-04-2014, 08:15 PM.

          Comment


          • #80
            Sabbath to me was and is always, Ozzy, Dio and Martin era's.
            Iommi has always been the heart of the band, with his riffs it sounds like Sabbath.

            As for Zakk mouthing off, great publicity for the new BLS album.

            Comment


            • #81
              The Band should've been called BLACK SABBATH.
              "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
              "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
              ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

              Comment


              • #82
                Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
                The Band should've been called BLACK SABBATH.
                *Claps* And that's precisely what happened. Good for you OID.

                Next up, we're going to have a discussion about what Van Halen should have called themselves when Dave left. And then we're going to discuss what AC/DC should have called themselves after Bon died. And then we're going to explore what Iron Maiden should have done after Di'anno was fired.
                "But I don't want to go among mad people."
                "Oh, you can't help that, we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
                "How do you know I'm mad?"
                "You must be or you wouldn't have come here."

                Comment


                • #83
                  Originally posted by The Rules Mob View Post
                  *Claps* And that's precisely what happened. Good for you OID.

                  Next up, we're going to have a discussion about what Van Halen should have called themselves when Dave left. And then we're going to discuss what AC/DC should have called themselves after Bon died. And then we're going to explore what Iron Maiden should have done after Di'anno was fired.
                  Thank you The Rules Mob.

                  Good one!
                  "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                  "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                  ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
                    Thank you The Rules Mob.

                    Good one!
                    Well, like I said before OiD, and I'm not blowing smoke up your backside, you're a true fan of THE BAND, not any one member, and that's admirable.
                    "But I don't want to go among mad people."
                    "Oh, you can't help that, we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
                    "How do you know I'm mad?"
                    "You must be or you wouldn't have come here."

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Originally posted by The Rules Mob View Post
                      Well, like I said before OiD, and I'm not blowing smoke up your backside, you're a true fan of THE BAND, not any one member, and that's admirable.
                      Thanks again The Rules Mob, I owe a lot of my growing to like all of the eras, to Doctor John AKA, Back To Eden.

                      I appreciate the kind words brother, and I like your above post.
                      "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                      "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                      ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Originally posted by The Rules Mob View Post
                        And then we're going to explore what Iron Maiden should have done after Di'anno was fired.
                        They should've quit...
                        95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
                        Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Originally posted by OZZYIRONMAN View Post
                          If your brother walks through the door dressed as a woman, he's still your brother no matter what he looks like. But if a random dude walks through the door claiming to be your brother... you call the police.
                          But what if your brother walks through the door with a prosthetic arm? Still your brother right? Dio replacing Ozzy is more like your brother coming in with a prosthetic head though, or at least a prosthetic jaw, vocal cords, and lungs, and part of his brain. No, not prosthetic, more like transplants, just to make the analogy as accurate as possible
                          You bought and sold me with your lying words.
                          Phil, your head's all full of lice!

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Originally posted by Sicko FanAtic View Post
                            just to make the analogy as accurate as possible
                            Better include a height reduction too then.
                            Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              I accepted all the line changes as they happened, I never even questioned the name. But hindsight has 20/20 vision and it's easy to say this era or that era should have been called something else.
                              But, the road Iommi dragged the Sabbath name along led us to where we are now. Three of the band band at #1 all over the world and the name probably more respected and carrying more weight than it ever did.
                              I'll take the pain in exchanged for that.

                              Anyway, it could have been worse, many 60s and 70s bands are still touring (in the UK anyway) with one or even no original members?

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                I don't think any part of the lyrics nor any of the song names from H&H would have worked. Ok "Heaven and Hell" kinda works I guess, but it was much better later on as some have already claimed. I frankly don't have any idea for a fitting name, even though I admit "Black Sabbath" was not the best name since it really sounded different, which is a GOOD thing. Bands should develop their sounds, and apart from the rather similar sound of the first two albums Sabbath truly has developed from one album to the other, but the transitions between NSD and H&H as well as Born Again/Seventh Star/Eternal Idol could easily have justified name changes imo.
                                "I am the crazy man who lives inside your head, but I think I'm breaking through the wall... You are the innocent convicted of the crime, no one was ever there to catch you when you fall" (1992)
                                -Ronnie James Dio, Rest in Peace

                                "In the summer days we flew to the sun, on melting wings, but the seasons changed to fast, leave us all behind... Blind..." (1969)
                                - Jon Lord, Rest in Peace

                                My first album!!!:
                                http://open.spotify.com/album/60jv1AdlWvi1KlcR8JhG4b

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X