No announcement yet.

Ozzy-Era Female Audience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would guess Mentors had mostly a male fan-base...
    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
    Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Comment

• Not sure. Maybe Metallica in 1984? Cannibal Corpse? How about black metal bands like Mayhem, Darkthrone, Gorgoroth or Emperor, especially during their earlier years?
      I don't have any first-hand experience there, I am just imagining those would probably have a 95%+ male audience... But I might be wrong of course.

Comment

• I guess that Pantera had probably much more female fans in the 1990ies than in the 1980ies, or am I wrong?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sabbabbath View Post
          I guess that Pantera had probably much more female fans in the 1990ies than in the 1980ies, or am I wrong?
          It's unclear if they had *any* fans in the 80's. Having been a card-carrying member of metal in the 80's in Detroit, I am almost 100% certain nobody had heard of them, here.

But sure, once they were on the radio (really, the first band that was "Hard" getting airplay, certainly much more than Black Sabbath even at that time) they managed to accumulate many female fans that were reaching for that "Half Metalhead/Half Thug" vibe that Pantera had going.

This was the time when women really started piercing everything and all tatted up and Hardcore and Pantera went right along with that.

But Black Sabbath was something their Uncle liked. Speaking generally, of course, as I am known to do.

Comment

• Originally posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
            It's unclear if they had *any* fans in the 80's. Having been a card-carrying member of metal in the 80's in Detroit, I am almost 100% certain nobody had heard of them, here.

But sure, once they were on the radio (really, the first band that was "Hard" getting airplay, certainly much more than Black Sabbath even at that time) they managed to accumulate many female fans that were reaching for that "Half Metalhead/Half Thug" vibe that Pantera had going.

This was the time when women really started piercing everything and all tatted up and Hardcore and Pantera went right along with that.

But Black Sabbath was something their Uncle liked. Speaking generally, of course, as I am known to do.
            The few times I saw Pantera they had lots of skinheads present, sieg heiling and all, I always found that odd at Pantera concerts.
            Last edited by OzzyIsDio; 02-09-2018, 03:49 PM.
            "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
            "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
            ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

How about black metal bands like Mayhem, Darkthrone, Gorgoroth or Emperor, especially during their earlier years?
              BM bands (atleast the "second wave" or "first Norwegian wave" had a huge female following. It's about atmosphere and emotions, you know, as well as getting lost in the soothing cacophony of noice.

Originally posted by Sabbabbath View Post
              I guess that Pantera had probably much more female fans in the 1990ies than in the 1980ies, or am I wrong?
              Well, being a Glam Metal band playing pubs in the 80's i'd imagine they had some female fans. As far as you can talk about any Pantera fans at all in the 80's...
              95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!

Comment

• I see. Yeah, I didn't know Pantera were softer in te 1980ies than in the 1990ies. Never liked them very much. In the 1990ies at my school, all Pantera fans were boys. I was the only Sabbath fan at the whole school, AFAIK.

How about Slayer? Venom?

Comment

• One idea running through this thread is that we all agree, Sabbath is mostly a "guy's band". What makes it that way? This question has, of course, received a good deal of attention in academic studies ( not concerning Sabbath in particular). Here's a link that summarizes a good deal of that research

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psyc...sic_preference
                  You bought and sold me with your lying words.
                  Phil, your head's all full of lice!

Comment

How about Slayer? Venom?
                    Both pretty "dudeish", but i don't see any reason for girls not liking any of them. Not as much in the early 80's maybe, both being all rough & though, Venom even somewhat "knuckledraggers" (yes, i'm a fan), but both the bands and the times have changed.
                    Should've been more girls around who could answer that...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sicko FanAtic View Post
                      One idea running through this thread is that we all agree, Sabbath is mostly a "guy's band". What makes it that way? This question has, of course, received a good deal of attention in academic studies ( not concerning Sabbath in particular). Here's a link that summarizes a good deal of that research

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psyc...sic_preference
                      Also very true in audio ,, females tend to lean toward "2 way" speakers (less bass) , and males tend to lean toward "3 way" speakers and beyond , at a rate of about 20 to 1 .... size plays a big role here , along with "soundwave" production.

Comment

• Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
                        The few times I saw Pantera they had lots of skinheads present, sieg heiling and all, I always found that odd at Pantera concerts.
                        That sounds awful. Yeah, there were at least a few incidents that should be expected to encourage Nazi followers:
                        https://www.spin.com/2016/01/pantera...-power-joking/

The guys at my school who were into Pantera weren't full-blown Neonazis, but most of them were openly racist and generally not the kind of guys I would like to hang out with.

How about Slayer? Venom?
                        Originally posted by Billy Underdog View Post
                        Both pretty "dudeish", but i don't see any reason for girls not liking any of them.
                        OK, I guess one thing we all agree about is that there is rarely a 100% male fanbase; I guess what we're now looking for is a band whose fanbase (at least in a specific era) is significantly more male-dominated (in terms of numbers and maybe culture?) than 1970ies Sabbath. I think zzzptm's "95+" suggestion is good; I tend to agree that gangsta rap (at least some of the more underground stuff) is probably a case in point (but again, it's not a style of music that I am very familiar with, so I might be wrong). Other ideas?

It would be quite fascinating and surprising if this thread would somehow lead to the conclusion that there are no bands in the world that have a smaller portion of female fans than 1970ies Sabbath. :-)

Comment

That sounds awful. Yeah, there were at least a few incidents that should be expected to encourage Nazi followers:
                          https://www.spin.com/2016/01/pantera...-power-joking/

The guys at my school who were into Pantera weren't full-blown Neonazis, but most of them were openly racist and generally not the kind of guys I would like to hang out with.
                          Yes I agree it’s awful, but Pantera weren’t a White Power band, so they wouldn’t be singing about anything the skinheads would be interested in.
                          "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                          "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

Comment

• How about Mercyful Fate?

Comment

• Death Metal scene in late ‘80s- early ‘90s was close to full male domination. Now it’s different.
                              http://vk.com/barghestboots

Comment

I tend to agree that gangsta rap (at least some of the more underground stuff) is probably a case in point
                                Don't know how it was like in the early 90's, but now the Norwegian Gansta Rap, or rather Hip Hop scene in general is actually dominated by female rappers. O.k, maybe not dominated, but it seems like as far as hits goes, there've been more females lately. I think that's pretty cool. These are girls straight people wouldn't wanna meet in a dark alley at nighttime.

Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
                                Yes I agree it’s awful, but Pantera weren’t a White Power band, so they wouldn’t be singing about anything the skinheads would be interested in.
                                The problem with Pantera was, along with Phil Anselmo talking out of his ass pretty often, they were also very proud of being southerners/Texans, even using the confederate flag. For them it was about their culture and heritage, not at all having a racist point of view, but that along with having some pretty violent and "take no bullshit" lyrics did attract some unwanted elements. It ended with Dimebag being shot on stage, so just goes to show what a thin line one is walking when using such imagery and topics.

OK, I guess one thing we all agree about is that there is rarely a 100% male fanbase
                                I think it's safe to say there've never a 100% male fanbase for any band. Even with the most brutish knuckledragging Death Metal or east coast Hardcore Punk or whatever cheastbeating genre one can imagine. Believing so contradict all logic. One thing is there might not have been many females on the gigs, but i refuse the idea that there wasn't atleast someone female in the world listening to records at home.
                                But i think it's safe to say (and this is just my assumption) that Sabbath at every point/era had more female fans than some of these examples.
                                Last edited by Billy Underdog; 02-10-2018, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X