• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spiralarchitectx1
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeff View Post
    Music is never just about the music.
    True, sometimes you gotta look at the package too.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff
    replied
    Originally posted by Spiralarchitectx1 View Post
    I think ozzy is cute too jeff but musically they are a dudes band.
    Music is never just about the music.

Leave a comment:

• Spiralarchitectx1
    replied
    I'm quite certain nobody with even half an ounce of sense would ever suggest that Sabbath has been a "Chick Band" at any point in their career.

But your examples of male rock bands illustrate the point all too well. I am quite certain the audience at a 70s Sabbath concert would differ greatly from the audience at a 70s Motorhead concert, yet you define both in the same category.

Don't think it works.

70s Sabbath was a band that appealed to a fairly wide spectrum of people.

And while I think he always downplayed it and certainly was never a poser, let's face it; by almost any "looks" measurement, Ozzy was a good looking dude. In the 70s, Sabbath attracted a fair share of females to their shows. My guess is that with the rise of the "heavy metal" genre, Sabbath with Dio was more a guy's band, and with Iron Maiden and later Metallica and so forth, the genre became known as one dominated by males.

I can even recall reading articles in Rolling Stone from the 70s, and at Sabbath concerts they would interview chicks. Sometimes pre or post show with girls hanging around trying to get autographs and so forth. Girls screaming with excitement if they got near Ozzy or managed to touch him. It's really odd how the mainstream press is so lazy. They don't do any research when writing about the band. They were a fucking phenomenon around the time of Master Of Reality. That thing sold more on pre-orders in the US than 13 has to date. Times were different with physical media compared to now, but I'm just sayin' ... they were one of the biggest things going in many ways. They settled in with a dedicated following and always had lots of run in all of the 70s rags like Circus and Hit Parader. I would suspect that their male audience were probably the most committed and fanatical, and they were NEVER a "chick band," but let's not forget other things: After they were on Top Of The Pops in 1970 and with "Paranoid" a chart topping single, they had screaming girls going berserk at their shows. They actually came out in the UK press at the time and said they didn't want those types of fans.

It's been a long ride for these guys. Never pigeonhole them as it'll bite you in the ass.
    I think ozzy is cute too jeff but musically they are a dudes band.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff
    replied
    Originally posted by Billy Underdog View Post
    I think i tried to answer that with my first post, but let me try again with more clear words; i don't know when or why (well, i've got some ideas, but they're not that interesting, you've all thought the same) but it certainly doesn't have any credibility. It's just not true.
    Though there are remarkably few female members on this forum. But i guess that's more to do with guys' ability to nerd over something enough to start and/or keep discussing it online, rather than chicks' musical taste
    I agree. It's just patently false. Even if they were 80/20 or maybe 90/10, they were never like Motorhead or even King Crimson.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff
    replied
    Sabbath definantly still a guys band, led zep is a chick band.
    We had a couple of girl posters on here till nid scared them off
    Chick rock bands :
    Foreigner, whitesnake, led zep, van halen,

Manly men rock bands:
    Sabbath, Motörhead
    I'm quite certain nobody with even half an ounce of sense would ever suggest that Sabbath has been a "Chick Band" at any point in their career.

But your examples of male rock bands illustrate the point all too well. I am quite certain the audience at a 70s Sabbath concert would differ greatly from the audience at a 70s Motorhead concert, yet you define both in the same category.

Don't think it works.

70s Sabbath was a band that appealed to a fairly wide spectrum of people. They also went through some arguably different phases in terms of their appeal.

And while I think he always downplayed it and certainly was never a poser, let's face it; by almost any "looks" measurement, Ozzy was a good looking dude. In the 70s, Sabbath attracted a fair share of females to their shows. My guess is that with the rise of the "heavy metal" genre, Sabbath with Dio was more a guy's band, and with Iron Maiden and later Metallica and so forth, the genre became known as one dominated by males.

I can even recall reading articles in Rolling Stone from the 70s, and at Sabbath concerts they would interview chicks. Sometimes pre or post show with girls hanging around trying to get autographs and so forth. Girls screaming with excitement if they got near Ozzy or managed to touch him. It's really odd how the mainstream press is so lazy. They don't do any research when writing about the band. They were a fucking phenomenon around the time of Master Of Reality. That thing sold more on pre-orders in the US than 13 has to date. Times were different with physical media compared to now, but I'm just sayin' ... they were one of the biggest things going in many ways. They settled in with a dedicated following and always had lots of run in all of the 70s rags like Circus and Hit Parader. I would suspect that their male audience were probably the most committed and fanatical, and they were NEVER a "chick band," but let's not forget other things: After they were on Top Of The Pops in 1970 and with "Paranoid" a chart topping single, they had screaming girls going berserk at their shows. They actually came out in the UK press at the time and said they didn't want those types of fans.

It's been a long ride for these guys. Never pigeonhole them as it'll bite you in the ass.
    Last edited by Jeff; 01-18-2014, 09:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Billy Underdog
    replied
    It's about how or when this perception of Sabbath as "guy's band" came to be. And does it really have much credibility?
    I think i tried to answer that with my first post, but let me try again with more clear words; i don't know when or why (well, i've got some ideas, but they're not that interesting, you've all thought the same) but it certainly doesn't have any credibility. It's just not true.
    Though there are remarkably few female members on this forum. But i guess that's more to do with guys' ability to nerd over something enough to start and/or keep discussing it online, rather than chicks' musical taste

Leave a comment:

• Spiralarchitectx1
    replied
    Thanks for the personal insights but I think you're missing the actual topics at hand:

It's about how or when this perception of Sabbath as "guy's band" came to be. And does it really have much credibility?

It's just a topic for discussion. Not a suggested approach to dating.
    Sabbath definantly still a guys band, led zep is a chick band.
    We had a couple of girl posters on here till nid scared them off
    Chick rock bands :
    Foreigner, whitesnake, led zep, van halen,

Manly men rock bands:
    Sabbath, Motörhead

Leave a comment:

• Jeff
    replied
    Gotta be honest when I go to see a band I'm there for the band only, I don't really take that much notice on chicks or what people are wearing etc(that's what you do in nightclubs not gigs)
    If it's pussy your after I think Mötley Crüe are doing a farewell tour soon
    Thanks for the personal insights but I think you're missing the actual topics at hand:

It's just a topic for discussion. Not a suggested approach to dating.

Leave a comment:

• Billy Underdog
    replied
    Feel a bit sad now
    I really like this band pal, see many parallels between these and sabbath too.
    And there's alot of you guys here who feel the same about this band, i've seen.
    Don't feel sad because i don't agree with you, more of a reason to be proud of your own taste! The only reason metal have survived through the horrible years (be it the 80's, 90's 00's or however you want to see it)...

But you do owe me 5 bucks though :D

Leave a comment:

• Spiralarchitectx1
    replied
    Originally posted by Billy Underdog View Post
    I know enough depressed wannabe Norskies, not to mention Swedes, to bother listening to their wannabe-something music. Give me 5 bucks (Euro's ofcourse) NOW!!

No, seriously; i think this is kinda laughable, though if someone'd (you maybe?) dragged me along to a live show of theirs i probably would've loved the hell out of it...
    Feel a bit sad now
    I really like this band pal, see many parallels between these and sabbath too.

Leave a comment:

• Billy Underdog
    replied
    Yo Viking and Terence!
    Stop it lol,

Check this song out, if you don't like it I'll give you both 5 dollars(or euros)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PakoE1eBps
    I know enough depressed wannabe Norskies, not to mention Swedes, to bother listening to their wannabe-something music. Give me 5 bucks (Euro's ofcourse) NOW!!

No, seriously; i think this is kinda laughable, though if someone'd (you maybe?) dragged me along to a live show of theirs i probably would've loved the hell out of it...

Leave a comment:

• Spiralarchitectx1
    replied
    Yo Viking and Terence!
    Stop it lol,

Check this song out, if you don't like it I'll give you both 5 dollars(or euros)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PakoE1eBps

Leave a comment:

• Billy Underdog
    replied
    Originally posted by Foul Stench View Post
    Yes, it would be, since my experiences aren't in Norway. Try using a little less drama in your posts.
    Still, you don't point out where your experience differ from my experience regarding the topic... So i wouldn't throw that use of the word Drama around like that if i were you, D-Queen.

Leave a comment:

• Billy Underdog
    replied
    Best thing said tonight!!!

Leave a comment:

• Spiralarchitectx1
    replied
    Gotta be honest when I go to see a band I'm there for the band only, I don't really take that much notice on chicks or what people are wearing etc(that's what you do in nightclubs not gigs)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X