Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

Ozzy-Era Female Audience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spiralarchitectx1 View Post
    Feel a bit sad now
    I really like this band pal, see many parallels between these and sabbath too.
    And there's alot of you guys here who feel the same about this band, i've seen.
    Don't feel sad because i don't agree with you, more of a reason to be proud of your own taste! The only reason metal have survived through the horrible years (be it the 80's, 90's 00's or however you want to see it)...

But you do owe me 5 bucks though :D
    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
    Til árs ok friğar ok forn siğr

Comment

Gotta be honest when I go to see a band I'm there for the band only, I don't really take that much notice on chicks or what people are wearing etc(that's what you do in nightclubs not gigs)
      If it's pussy your after I think Mötley Crüe are doing a farewell tour soon
      Thanks for the personal insights but I think you're missing the actual topics at hand:

It's about how or when this perception of Sabbath as "guy's band" came to be. And does it really have much credibility?

It's just a topic for discussion. Not a suggested approach to dating.
      "It is not opinion that Ozzy peaked on Sabotage, it is a measurable fact."
      -WTB

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
        Thanks for the personal insights but I think you're missing the actual topics at hand:

It's about how or when this perception of Sabbath as "guy's band" came to be. And does it really have much credibility?

It's just a topic for discussion. Not a suggested approach to dating.
        Sabbath definantly still a guys band, led zep is a chick band.
        We had a couple of girl posters on here till nid scared them off
        Chick rock bands :
        Foreigner, whitesnake, led zep, van halen,

Manly men rock bands:
        Sabbath, Motörhead
        Vote leave if u want totally cool either way

Comment

I think i tried to answer that with my first post, but let me try again with more clear words; i don't know when or why (well, i've got some ideas, but they're not that interesting, you've all thought the same) but it certainly doesn't have any credibility. It's just not true.
          Though there are remarkably few female members on this forum. But i guess that's more to do with guys' ability to nerd over something enough to start and/or keep discussing it online, rather than chicks' musical taste
          95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
          Til árs ok friğar ok forn siğr

Comment

Sabbath definantly still a guys band, led zep is a chick band.
            We had a couple of girl posters on here till nid scared them off
            Chick rock bands :
            Foreigner, whitesnake, led zep, van halen,

Manly men rock bands:
            Sabbath, Motörhead
            I'm quite certain nobody with even half an ounce of sense would ever suggest that Sabbath has been a "Chick Band" at any point in their career.

But your examples of male rock bands illustrate the point all too well. I am quite certain the audience at a 70s Sabbath concert would differ greatly from the audience at a 70s Motorhead concert, yet you define both in the same category.

Don't think it works.

70s Sabbath was a band that appealed to a fairly wide spectrum of people. They also went through some arguably different phases in terms of their appeal.

And while I think he always downplayed it and certainly was never a poser, let's face it; by almost any "looks" measurement, Ozzy was a good looking dude. In the 70s, Sabbath attracted a fair share of females to their shows. My guess is that with the rise of the "heavy metal" genre, Sabbath with Dio was more a guy's band, and with Iron Maiden and later Metallica and so forth, the genre became known as one dominated by males.

I can even recall reading articles in Rolling Stone from the 70s, and at Sabbath concerts they would interview chicks. Sometimes pre or post show with girls hanging around trying to get autographs and so forth. Girls screaming with excitement if they got near Ozzy or managed to touch him. It's really odd how the mainstream press is so lazy. They don't do any research when writing about the band. They were a fucking phenomenon around the time of Master Of Reality. That thing sold more on pre-orders in the US than 13 has to date. Times were different with physical media compared to now, but I'm just sayin' ... they were one of the biggest things going in many ways. They settled in with a dedicated following and always had lots of run in all of the 70s rags like Circus and Hit Parader. I would suspect that their male audience were probably the most committed and fanatical, and they were NEVER a "chick band," but let's not forget other things: After they were on Top Of The Pops in 1970 and with "Paranoid" a chart topping single, they had screaming girls going berserk at their shows. They actually came out in the UK press at the time and said they didn't want those types of fans.

It's been a long ride for these guys. Never pigeonhole them as it'll bite you in the ass.
            Last edited by Jeff; 01-18-2014, 10:46 PM.
            -WTB

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Underdog View Post
              I think i tried to answer that with my first post, but let me try again with more clear words; i don't know when or why (well, i've got some ideas, but they're not that interesting, you've all thought the same) but it certainly doesn't have any credibility. It's just not true.
              Though there are remarkably few female members on this forum. But i guess that's more to do with guys' ability to nerd over something enough to start and/or keep discussing it online, rather than chicks' musical taste
              I agree. It's just patently false. Even if they were 80/20 or maybe 90/10, they were never like Motorhead or even King Crimson.
              -WTB

Comment

I'm quite certain nobody with even half an ounce of sense would ever suggest that Sabbath has been a "Chick Band" at any point in their career.

But your examples of male rock bands illustrate the point all too well. I am quite certain the audience at a 70s Sabbath concert would differ greatly from the audience at a 70s Motorhead concert, yet you define both in the same category.

Don't think it works.

70s Sabbath was a band that appealed to a fairly wide spectrum of people.

And while I think he always downplayed it and certainly was never a poser, let's face it; by almost any "looks" measurement, Ozzy was a good looking dude. In the 70s, Sabbath attracted a fair share of females to their shows. My guess is that with the rise of the "heavy metal" genre, Sabbath with Dio was more a guy's band, and with Iron Maiden and later Metallica and so forth, the genre became known as one dominated by males.

I can even recall reading articles in Rolling Stone from the 70s, and at Sabbath concerts they would interview chicks. Sometimes pre or post show with girls hanging around trying to get autographs and so forth. Girls screaming with excitement if they got near Ozzy or managed to touch him. It's really odd how the mainstream press is so lazy. They don't do any research when writing about the band. They were a fucking phenomenon around the time of Master Of Reality. That thing sold more on pre-orders in the US than 13 has to date. Times were different with physical media compared to now, but I'm just sayin' ... they were one of the biggest things going in many ways. They settled in with a dedicated following and always had lots of run in all of the 70s rags like Circus and Hit Parader. I would suspect that their male audience were probably the most committed and fanatical, and they were NEVER a "chick band," but let's not forget other things: After they were on Top Of The Pops in 1970 and with "Paranoid" a chart topping single, they had screaming girls going berserk at their shows. They actually came out in the UK press at the time and said they didn't want those types of fans.

It's been a long ride for these guys. Never pigeonhole them as it'll bite you in the ass.
                I think ozzy is cute too jeff but musically they are a dudes band.

Comment

I think ozzy is cute too jeff but musically they are a dudes band.
                  Music is never just about the music.
                  -WTB

Comment

Music is never just about the music.
                    True, sometimes you gotta look at the package too.

Comment

My point is just that a lot of people who write about Sabbath don't really know about Sabbath.

Plenty of pretty good shots of the audience at Santa Monica, 1975. See a predominantly "leather and chains" crowd?

-WTB

Comment

Here's the audience from the last Sabbath show I saw. The place was crawling with chicks, kids, and old people. This crowd was no different than with any other rock band I have seen, except for Journey, and that was just disgusting. Taken from my seat.

Last edited by Now in Darkness; 01-18-2014, 11:30 PM.
                        Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

Comment

Well I could never answer that what sabbath you first bought thread cause I was brought up surrounded by sabbath so never had to buy any albums really.
                          It's in my blood, and it's gonna get passed down to my kid too!

Comment

That's raising them the right way man

Comment

Originally posted by Wheels Of Confusion View Post
                              That's raising them the right way man
                              Ha ha , possibly.

Comment

Originally posted by Foul Stench View Post
                                Jeff, that's a whole different era and the same applied for everyone. People of different genres mixed together a lot more. I don't know if you can judge Sabbath today by the times then.
                                Eh, I'm not so sure it's as simple as it being a different era. But I do agree that is a part of it. Probably a big part of it.

So ... let's use that as a basis for discussion.

Sabbath came to prominence in the 1970s.

Hence, the idea that they were a band who was as Henry Rollins describes in the Making Of Paranoid DVD really doesn't tell the whole story. I think Rollins describes how it was when I was growing up, but that was the 1980s.

Put it this way: If the Sabbath movie is ever made and they get it historically accurate, there will be females in the audience during the concert scenes. Especially at any shows that depict scenes of concerts in the US. And I bet you anything the idiots will come out and say that wasn't really like a Sabbath show and doesn't depict how it was. But those people are talking out of their asses.
                                -WTB

Comment

Working...
                                X