Ozzy-Era Female Audience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
    They were never "sex symbols" fo rsure, but Ozzy was "cute" and chicks wanted to "mother" him... and once Tony got a real haircut, we saw a handsome guy under that former poodle cut...Zep was the chick band, with cock rocker Robert strutting his stuff (in very tight jeans) singing about lemon juice and giving her every inch of his love "all night long" .... The Stones had Mick, etc etc... but yea, back in the day, the 70's people didn't go to gigs in leather biker gear... that was an 80's thing... the gay underground brought to light by Judas Preist and the likes... yuk! I'm not sure w.t.h. this thread is about but Sabbath's sex appeal, if their was any was Ozzy...
    I think there's no doubt that whatever "sex appeal" Sabbath had was first and foremost about Ozzy. Although I think people judging some haircut Tony had as a way of ruling out his appeal to women are speaking for an entire sex; which I think is silly, but Ozzy was surely the guy who appealed to women, I should imagine.

But this thread is getting a bit off course. Maybe I didn't illustrate my point well enough, but I can't imagine what could be that confusing about this thread. The point is that you have people like Jimmy Norton or Henry Rollins describing Sabbath fans or what have you. And this might be funny or even true to some extent or during a certain time, but the overall impression of Sabbath is that they are almost exclusively a "guy's band." Then you watch something like the TV broadcast of Santa Monica '75 and there are girls everywhere. You listen to certain bootlegs and when they hit the stage girls are screaming. Things just totally at odds with this "perception."

So I guess I was curious as to whether this perception came about because of the Dio-era, or because people just got lazy and never really researched Sabbath's appeal in the 70s and figured "heavy Metal" as it existed in the 80s was the way it was in the 70s?
    "It is not opinion that Ozzy peaked on Sabotage, it is a measurable fact."
    -WTB

Comment

People didn't "dress" in gay biker gear Jeff in those days... I know, I was there! That's an 80's thing, the queer black leather and studded arm bands, so "metal" LOL! The 70's was the real deal, the 80's was over eggagerated male macho and fantasy female masterbation wanking, just like most of the music!
      I'm well aware of this and that's my point. I think because of what "Heavy Metal" became that some people assume it was always like that with Sabbath. Maybe they see early photos of the guys in leather coats and looking "mean" and assume there were legions of metalheads attending Sabs shows back in the 70s. That what happened in the 80s was the way it was at Sabbath shows in the 70s. But this is an oversimplification at best and patently false at worst. Sabbath's music and following in the 70s was never that easy to pinpoint and never fit into some "box."
      "It is not opinion that Ozzy peaked on Sabotage, it is a measurable fact."
      -WTB

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
        The point is that you have people like Jimmy Norton or Henry Rollins describing Sabbath fans or what have you. And this might be funny or even true to some extent or during a certain time, but the overall impression of Sabbath is that they are almost exclusively a "guy's band." Then you watch something like the TV broadcast of Santa Monica '75 and there are girls everywhere. You listen to certain bootlegs and when they hit the stage girls are screaming. Things just totally at odds with this "perception."

So I guess I was curious as to whether this perception came about because of the Dio-era, or because people just got lazy and never really researched Sabbath's appeal in the 70s and figured "heavy Metal" as it existed in the 80s was the way it was in the 70s?
        Originally posted by Jeff View Post
        Sabbath's music and following in the 70s was never that easy to pinpoint and never fit into some "box."
        I very much agree with that. Might be that Norton and Rollins, like me, was loosers who didn't get laid till far too late (might be? I meant ofcourse...) and therefore do in some ways resent the notion of a Sab-fan being something much more "mainstream". And in some ways that sentiment of being the loner freak Sab-fan is very true, hell it's been true almost up till this day, or atleast until Osbournes broke the waterfloods... But i also think that they in that mindframe of being excludes choose to ignore the mainstream audience Sabbath actually had in the "pre-Metal world"...
        95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
        Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Comment

I've been to many Ozzy/Sabbath shows, and each one had tons of girls. At the same time I know lots of girls who love Sabbath!!

Comment

Originally posted by HORRORHOLIC View Post
            I've been to many Ozzy/Sabbath shows, and each one had tons of girls. At the same time I know lots of girls who love Sabbath!!
            Ya, I agree. The Beatles are arguably the best and biggest band ever, and they certainly had a massive female following. By some people's standards here, the Beatles might even be called the ultimate chick band. If female interest in a band is somehow considered to be a bad thing, then I would suggest that there are some people out there with serious identity issues. It takes no effort to alienate a gender, or any other demographic, for that matter. It takes huge talent to speak to both genders and maintain their interest. Fortunately, the Sabbath shows that I have been to have been reflective of a very mixed demographic, including lots of chicks. Besides, what male Sabbath fan truly wants to be surrounded by a sweaty sausage fest? Are girls really that scary? I know my wife would agree, Sabbath is for all people who appreciate cool music, no matter what their gender.
            Last edited by Now in Darkness; 01-21-2014, 06:43 PM.
            Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

Comment

Is there a single female on this forum?

Comment

Originally posted by Shoopsy View Post
                Is there a single female on this forum?

There used to be quite a few, but they seem to be laying quite low since "13" was released.

Comment

Originally posted by Now in Darkness View Post
                  There used to be quite a few, but they seem to be laying quite low since "13" was released.
                  Obviously there is "SabbathGirl93" (92?) and I believe "Die Young" is too ... and if I'm wrong I beg his forgiveness. I don;t think either has posted for a couple of months or more. There are one or two others I've wondered about.

You should encourage Mrs NiD to get on the forum.
                  My name is Lucifer please take my hand.

Comment

Originally posted by KiloDeltaCharlie View Post
                    Obviously there is "SabbathGirl93" (92?) and I believe "Die Young" is too ... and if I'm wrong I beg his forgiveness. I don;t think either has posted for a couple of months or more. There are one or two others I've wondered about.

Haha. That would be fun, but we already have enough to debate, like who's going to vacuum, do the laundry, walk the dog, etc.

Also, there was Bunnypink and Ady, off the top of my head. Someone should link the "girl" thread that was started a while back. There were quite a few.

Comment

Originally posted by Now in Darkness View Post
                      Haha. That would be fun, but we already have enough to debate, like who's going to vacuum, do the laundry, walk the dog, etc.

Also, there was Bunnypink and Ady, off the top of my head. Someone should link the "girl" thread that was started a while back. There were quite a few.
                      No Ady's a bloke I'm sure, but his avatar is the Hawkwind dancer Stacia and may be the cause of any confusion if people thought it was selfie.

Comment

Originally posted by KiloDeltaCharlie View Post

Actualy Im a dude... with long hair, black leather jacket and black band t-shirt... Been lurking for a few months but not posting. Im surprised someone actualy remembers me lol. Gonna do some postin now. Also I might just be the youngest member at the frail age of... 19... could that be true?

ontopic: Yeah im pritty sure Sabbath were always a guy band its just that they had more fans back then than they do now you see, plus we tend to notice the women in the conserts, because we're obviously considering them as potential mates. Anyways speaking of the 10s... I've bearly met any non-metal heads online and off who actualy know about sabbath... atleast where I live... I mean there would surely be more fans but people arent getting exposed to this type of music here...
                        Still I wonder what its like to be loved, instead of hiding in myself...

Comment

Originally posted by Die Young View Post
                          Actualy Im a dude... with long hair, black leather jacket and black band t-shirt... Been lurking for a few months but not posting. Im surprised someone actualy remembers me lol. Gonna do some postin now. Also I might just be the youngest member at the frail age of... 19... could that be true?

ontopic: Yeah im pritty sure Sabbath were always a guy band its just that they had more fans back then than they do now you see, plus we tend to notice the women in the conserts, because we're obviously considering them as potential mates. Anyways speaking of the 10s... I've bearly met any non-metal heads online and off who actualy know about sabbath... atleast where I live... I mean there would surely be more fans but people arent getting exposed to this type of music here...
                          Oops! My bad.

Comment

I would have to say, if one had to put them in a catagory... "chick" band vs "Macho male rocker", they definitly fit in the later... no matter how many women you may see at their concerts... most are just accompying their husbands or BFs... I'm sure there was the groupie scene early on, but even then, their music was so dark and forboding I don't believe they were ever at the forefront of being groupie magnets... not with all the other bands in the early 70's...Zep, Bowie, Stones...T-rex, etc... there's no question in my mind that Sabbath has always been predominatly a "guy" band...
                            "Music is so sacred to me that I can’t hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
                            R. Blackmore

Comment

I would have to say, if one had to put them in a catagory... "chick" band vs "Macho male rocker", they definitly fit in the later... no matter how many women you may see at their concerts... most are just accompying their husbands or BFs... I'm sure there was the groupie scene early on, but even then, their music was so dark and forboding I don't believe they were ever at the forefront of being groupie magnets... not with all the other bands in the early 70's...Zep, Bowie, Stones...T-rex, etc... there's no question in my mind that Sabbath has always been predominatly a "guy" band...
                              The lady on the cover of their debut is a supposed groupie.
                              "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                              "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                              ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

I am female and I love Black Sabbath! Even as far as going to interview both Bill Ward and Adam Wakeman for a radio show I host,even met Ozzy 2 times in recent years. And I spoke to Sean Yseult and she of course loves them too.

I still have yet to see them in concert though(somehow I've always missed them),but I do listen to their albums occasionally,especially since I am a radio DJ. Other female metal DJ's at my station are more into modern thrash/black metal stuff,but I'm more into the classics like Sabbath.

Comment

Working...
                                X