Bill Ward health update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Ward health update

After reading this post Bill just put on facebook I can say with confidence that there's no way he would have been capable of touring OR recording with Sabbath. Many of you owe Tony Geezer and Ozzy an apology.

"H! Everyone, I hope you’re well. I’m re-starting the radio show on Saturday, February, 15, 2014. As many of you know, I’ve been in hospital for a while (our last radio show was in August 2013). I had a final operation on January 7, 2014, and I’m very pleased to say that a positive outcome has prevailed. I’m healing slowly and surely. On September 18, 2013, I thought I’d take advantage of the down time and have a right shoulder repair surgery. Four days after that surgery, I had the perforated diverticulitis. I’m mentioning the shoulder surgery because approximately two weeks ago, we finally started the shoulder rehab. It’ll be about six weeks before the frozen joints can be workable again. I’m hoping to be playing drums by mid-March 2014. I want to start back in with jam sessions with a jazz quartet, something softer before I start slamming again."
    Last edited by OZZYIRONMAN; 02-11-2014, 01:48 PM.

Originally posted by OZZYIRONMAN View Post
    Many of you owe Tony Geezer and Ozzy an apology.
    I don't. I never once argued that he should be back on the drum stool. To have Bill in the band would have been suicidal to this venture. Still love the guy, and would love to see him back, but not with his issues and track record. I still really respect Bill, and his kindness, but realism is the key to reuniting a band like Mk1 Sabbath, with all of its issues, and in fighting. They wouldn't have made it past the garden gate if Bill was part of it.
    Last edited by Now in Darkness; 02-11-2014, 02:20 PM.
    Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

Comment

Good post now in darkness. Bill seems like a great guy but he knows deep down inside he can't hold up for a tour.

Comment

Originally posted by sellingmysoul View Post
        Good post now in darkness. Bill seems like a great guy but he knows deep down inside he can't hold up for a tour.
        Thank-you. I love and respect Bill, and his values, but he comes with many issues as a business partner, and I think the scales clearly tipped in favor of moving forward and making this work, as opposed to screwing up one of the biggest and most improbable reunions of all time. They made the right decision, and they made it work. We are the beneficiaries of that decision, and we should not lose sight of the fact that this could easily have been yet another fiasco in the list of failed reunion attempts. I would wager a bet that if this attempt was allowed to go down the toilet, by turning a blind eye to Bill's issues, the Mk1 reunion concept would have been shelved for eternity.

The only regret that I have is that Ozzy was a bit too candid about the issues, in his statements to the media. I would have preferred to see him take a more respectful position on the matter, especially knowing how fiercely loyal Bill has been to him. Having said that though, Bill opened the door for Ozzy spilling the beans, when he published his open letter and somewhat vilified his former band mates.

I would be shocked to ever see Bill back in the fold, and quite honestly, I would not want to run that risk. My heart wishes it could be different, but my dispassionate brain says that it will never happen, nor should it.
        Last edited by Now in Darkness; 02-11-2014, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Firstly these health problems wasn't there in the time of the original 11/11/11
          Secondly you all haven't had a proper black sabbath mk 1 album, it's fact and the prove is in the pudding m'kay!
          Thirdly why should any fans ever feel the need to apologise to the other 3 about wanting bill back?
          Fourthly why the heck would anyone gloat and be proud of the fact bill is unwell in a " ha, ha told u so" kind of way?
          Last edited by Spiralarchitectx1; 02-11-2014, 08:03 PM.
          Vote leave if u want totally cool either way

Comment

I wish Bill a speedy recovery. I appreciate his great work as a founding member.

I do not think anyone here would be happy that Bill has had health issues. I believe the point is directed toward those who claimed 13 was not a real reunion without Bill. Even without heart and shoulder conditions, Bill would not have been able to handle a tour and its physical demands.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sabman Cometh View Post
              I wish Bill a speedy recovery. I appreciate his great work as a founding member.

I do not think anyone here would be happy that Bill has had health issues. I believe the point is directed toward those who claimed 13 was not a real reunion without Bill. Even without heart and shoulder conditions, Bill would not have been able to handle a tour and its physical demands.
              Cause it ain't a real reunion. Obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiralarchitectx1 View Post
                Cause it ain't a real reunion. Obviously.
                Spiral I love the passion for Ward that you , princehollow and a few others have , just love it!! ...Bill is magic!!

As for the Facebook post and the ailments Ward is recovering from , sounds very promising , and in no way hinders him from being able to be part of a future project... and in fact would have not affected him from being able to have recorded 13... as far as mentally then and now , well with the magic one , that could be a different story..

I actually feel there is a VERY realistic chance , if there ends up being a 14 , BILL is on it..

@SPIRAL , the subject of drumming ... YES THE FN "TOYS ARE REAL!!!!!!!!!" .... and Dehumanizer is as good as it friggin gets , a monster with no peers , an album of impeccability to the highest fn degree from Dio , Iommi , Geezer and "YES" ..... Vinny!! ...one of the best DRUM albums in Sabbaths entire catalog!!

Peace!!
                Last edited by BACK TO EDEN; 02-11-2014, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
                  Spiral I love the passion for Ward that you , princehollow and a few others have , just love it!! ...Bill is magic!!

As for the Facebook post and the ailments Ward is recovering from , sounds very promising , and in no way hinders him from being able to be part of a future project... and in fact would have not affected him from being able to have recorded 13... as far as mentally then and now , well with the magic one , that could be a different story..

I actually feel there is a VERY realistic chance , if there ends up being a 14 , BILL is on it..

@SPINAL , on the subject of drumming ... YES THE FN "TOYS ARE REAL!!!!!!!!!" .... and Dehumanizer is as good as it friggin gets , a monster with no peers , an album of impeccability to the highest fn degree from Dio , Iommi , Geezer and "YES" ..... Vinny!! ...one of the best DRUM albums in Sabbaths entire catalog!!

Peace!!
                  True my friend,
                  It's vinny's showcase!
                  I don't rate him in the top ranks as a drummer but he went beyond his talents on dehumanizer... Top marks!,
                  As for bill, love everything you say about him doc dude

Comment

Firstly these health problems wasn't there in the time of the original 11/11/11.
                    Sure they were. Bill's had ticker problems for years, and even if he didn't, a bad heart isn't like catching the flu; it takes a lifetime of bad living to get where he is today. That would have been an issue for the 13 tour at the very least, and that would also have meant cancellation of the 2014 dates if not the 2013 dates. The bottom line is that all of his described health issues would have reared their head during the tour, or sooner, and that would have created all sorts of issues. Love the guy dearly, but he won't be back. Wish I could say otherwise and I certainly wish him well.
                    Last edited by Now in Darkness; 02-11-2014, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Now in Darkness View Post
                      Sure they were. Bill's had ticker problems for years, and even if he didn't, a bad heart isn't like catching the flu; it takes a lifetime of bad living to get where he is today. That would have been an issue for the 13 tour at the very least, and that would have meant cancellation of the 2014 dates if not the 2013 dates. Love the guy dearly, but he won't be back.
                      True the money grossing tour he couldn't of managed without dying lol(I know that) but he could've recorded no probs. I'm guessing that contract was all about the money grossing world tour and bills pride got offended with back up drummers being mentioned etc so he said fuck it!,
                      13 missed bills chops, get him back for 14 to shut me up

Comment

True the money grossing tour he couldn't of managed without dying lol(I know that) but he could've recorded no probs. I'm guessing that contract was all about the money grossing world tour and bills pride got offended with back up drummers being mentioned etc so he said fuck it!,
                        13 missed bills chops, get him back for 14 to shut me up
                        I think you are right. I do believe that they wanted an insurance policy (back up drummer) and probably wanted Bill to finance it out of his share. I can certainly understand his offence, but I can also understand how the other guys needed to ensure that things came off without logistical issues. Bill is a kind man, and the type of guy you want the best for, but the sad reality is that he comes with the type of issues that could scuttle the whole thing, and leave everyone throwing up their hands for the last time, as the reunion concept gets permanently shelved. I just don't see how this current news would not be a hindrance to Bill's inclusion in a future project, especially now that they've become accustomed to operating without him.
                        Last edited by Now in Darkness; 02-11-2014, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Now in Darkness View Post
                          I think you are right. I do believe that they wanted an insurance policy (back up drummer) and probably wanted Bill to finance it out of his share. I can certainly understand his offence, but I can also understand how the other guys needed to ensure that things came off without logistical issues. Bill is a kind man, and the type of guy you want the best for, but the sad reality is that he comes with the type of issues that could scuttle the whole thing, and leave everyone throwing up their hands for the last time, as the reunion concept gets permanently shelved.
                          True, I wish the four of them could of sat down in a room without any other AIDS men and come to a conclusion themselves, still think he's more than able and willing to record on the next one though. And he was on 13 too but not the tour that followed,
                          Heck I thought it was too long a tour for any of them personally.

Comment

True, I wish the four of them could of sat down in a room without any other AIDS men and come to a conclusion themselves, still think he's more than able and willing to record on the next one though. And he was on 13 too but not the tour that followed,
                            Heck I thought it was too long a tour for any of them personally.
                            I hear ya. I hate this topic, because it forces the strategic brain to clash with the compassionate heart, and there are no winners.

Comment

The bottom line is that Bill would not have been able to finish a tour without a backup drummer. The fact that we now know about his various health problems proves that. No disrespect to Bill but this proves that Ozzy,Tony and Geezer were right. No one is saying that Bill couldn't have played on 13. I think he could have. The band didn't want the man trying to play a show and dying. It's funny that with all the time that Bill spent working on the songs, that he didn't mention the problems he was having with his contract to the other 3 guys. I wish Bill the best of health and i still think he can play on a new sabbath album but a tour without a backup drummer is out of the question. Eddie Van Halen had diverticulitis and it almost killed him. They had to cancel the rest of that tour.
                              Last edited by scorpio 2000; 02-11-2014, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X