X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Sabbath - Ottawa - April 13, 2014

Hey all!

I don't log in all that often it seems!

Well I'm going to the concert this Sunday and I'll most probably update this thread with a quick review. Hopefully a few of the members here are also attending this event?

See you there!

Originally posted by montferrand View Post
    Hey all! I don't log in all that often it seems! Well I'm going to the concert this Sunday and I'll most probably update this thread with a quick review. Hopefully a few of the members here are also attending this event? See you there!
    Enjoy it. I was in Hamilton last night. Band was very good and Ozzy sounded awesome better than London in fact.

Comment

Great show!

It was my 10th Sabbath show and I'm glad I went. I decided at the last minute to go and went by myself just to watch and enjoy. I was hesitant to go after last summer when my buddy and I drove 1500 miles round trip to see them in Philadelphia and I ended up getting so drunk I hardly remember any of it. Through the haze of that night the one thing that stuck with me was how bad Ozzy was.

Not last night - he was fantastic!

He sounded on key the whole time with barely a handful of flubs. Maybe I'll be proved wrong If a recording surfaces, but for the vast majority of the show it sounded like he sang the original melodies, and only towards the end did he fall back on those lazy upside-down melodies he seems to resort too more often than not nowadays. I had great seats and had a very clear view of the side and back-stage action and the one thing that struck me is how hard he works. I've gained a whole new perspective on the effort the man puts in and how hard it is on him to hold it together like that for two hours. The difference in his posture and composure when the spotlight is on him and when it's not is remarkable. He practically fell into the arms of his handlers when leaving the stage at the end of the show. He held absolutely nothing back - it was awesome to see.

Nothing can really be be said about Geezer and Tony that hasn't been said a thousand times before. They are both flawless in their execution and go about their business with quiet confidence appearing quite happy. If I had any complaint it's that it's entirely by-the-numbers. It would be nice if there was the occasional busted string or flub or squeal of feedback to show that they're pushing themselves. Unrealistic on my behalf I realize, but I can dream. I've seen Sabbath with Ozzy three times now and all three times the highlight for me has been Tony's solo at the end of Dirty Women. It's the only time where it feels natural and slightly unscripted for a couple of minutes and about the only time where the keyboards come up enough in volume to be heard and it's just a band jamming. Ozzy interupted his madman routine too for the whole time and just stood watching Tony like everyone else. Awesome stuff!

All in all, I'm very happy I went. It's quite probably that last time I'll get to see them so it's nice to have a good one to remember.
      montreal '86 / montreal '92 / montreal '94 / toronto '99
      montreal '07 / quebec '07 / ottawa '07 / toronto '08 / philadelphia '13 / ottawa '14

Comment

Glad you loved it drapes!
        Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

Comment

Drapes, Is your first name Meat? Sorry I couldn't resist :p . Glad you enjoyed it. They're knocking it out of the park this tour

Comment

Originally posted by OIM View Post
            Drapes, Is your first name Meat? Sorry I couldn't resist :p
            Hm. It's obvious you're making a joke, but I simply don't get it...
            montreal '07 / quebec '07 / ottawa '07 / toronto '08 / philadelphia '13 / ottawa '14

Comment

Originally posted by drapes View Post
              Hm. It's obvious you're making a joke, but I simply don't get it...
              http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...=meat%20drapes

Comment

Yikes!! I'd never heard of that before, and I think I preferred it that way! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by drapes View Post
                  Yikes!! I'd never heard of that before, and I think I preferred it that way! :-)
                  Yeah its pretty vulgar

Comment

Awesome show! The guys sounded great! I must say, it was my first time seeing Ozzy with Black Sabbath (well, the original 3 I guess as I also caught Black Sabbath twice touring under the Heaven and Hell moniker in 2007) together on the same stage. I had witnessed Ozzy on his solo tour 2 twice (last one in 2010? Halford was opening) and his voice was ok but craking here and there. Mind you, I enjoyed those concerts too but hey, for the sake of comparison, last night performance was way better for Ozzy

As a Sabbath fan, of course we want to hear some of the classics being played, but we also crave for more ''rareties'' in a setlist. Knowing Sabbath, they do not tend to change much at all once they start (actually reduce it sometimes), but let me tell you one thing... for a song as overplayed as Paranoid, there is nothing better than seeing the Master himself open with that riff!!

I quickly check the other setlist from previous nights, and it seems like the same one was played yesterday. I guess Tony usually doesn`t play the end of Under the Sun? It stopped before that nice ending riff... anyhow, great perfomance there!

It`s funny because Ozzy on stage reminds me of an old man having fun just as if he was still a little kid.

I guess at the end of the day, I payed for a Ozzy fronted Sabbath concert, got the classics, great setlist, terrific experience all around... me = happy.

Comment

Originally posted by montferrand View Post
                      Awesome show! The guys sounded great! I must say, it was my first time seeing Ozzy with Black Sabbath (well, the original 3 I guess as I also caught Black Sabbath twice touring under the Heaven and Hell moniker in 2007) together on the same stage. I had witnessed Ozzy on his solo tour 2 twice (last one in 2010? Halford was opening) and his voice was ok but craking here and there. Mind you, I enjoyed those concerts too but hey, for the sake of comparison, last night performance was way better for Ozzy As a Sabbath fan, of course we want to hear some of the classics being played, but we also crave for more ''rareties'' in a setlist. Knowing Sabbath, they do not tend to change much at all once they start (actually reduce it sometimes), but let me tell you one thing... for a song as overplayed as Paranoid, there is nothing better than seeing the Master himself open with that riff!! I quickly check the other setlist from previous nights, and it seems like the same one was played yesterday. I guess Tony usually doesn`t play the end of Under the Sun? It stopped before that nice ending riff... anyhow, great perfomance there! It`s funny because Ozzy on stage reminds me of an old man having fun just as if he was still a little kid. I guess at the end of the day, I payed for a Ozzy fronted Sabbath concert, got the classics, great setlist, terrific experience all around... me = happy.
                      Don't forget you got 3 new songs, under the sun and behind the wall of sleep

Comment

Originally posted by Foul Stench View Post
                        I thought they would vary the setlist a little from last year's, especially if they're somewhere closer to the end of their touring life. A little TE/NSD or a few snippets of Dio as a tribute would be a good idea.
                        Well, Dirty Women is from Technical Ecstasy, I agree they should play something off Never Say Die!

The Dio tribute will never happen, that part of Sabbath no longer exists, never happened.
                        "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                        "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                        ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
                          Well, Dirty Women is from Technical Ecstasy, I agree they should play something off Never Say Die!

The Dio tribute will never happen, that part of Sabbath no longer exists, never happened.
                          I don't think it would be appropriate for them to do a DIO anything. After all the bad blood between Ozzy and DIO throughout the years it would come off very contrived and fake if you ask me. Ozzy's beyond gracious statement on DIO's death was awesome and I'm happy with that.
                          Upping The Irons and Defending The Faith

Comment

Originally posted by Never Satisfied View Post
                            I don't think it would be appropriate for them to do a DIO anything. After all the bad blood between Ozzy and DIO throughout the years it would come off very contrived and fake if you ask me. Ozzy's beyond gracious statement on DIO's death was awesome and I'm happy with that.
                            Come to think of it you're right and I agree.

Plus Dio was never made to sing, Gillan, Hughes or Martin songs, I think I even read somewhere that he refused to sing the Martin songs when he reunited with Sabbath for the Dehumanizer tour.
                            "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                            "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                            ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Originally posted by Never Satisfied View Post
                              100% agreed. No way Ozzy would go for that, nor should he. As far as he is concerned, Dio was interloper of the highest order, no matter how the rest of us may love and respect Dio. Ozzy has every right to feel that way, and he did well to see the bigger picture when Dio passed.

16 hours and I'm flying out to see the best, still in existence, band in the world. I cannot wait. I am told that the Mrs and I should bring something to autograph, just in case my connection can pull a string or two (no promises, but Holy crap that would be awesome). Going to spend good Friday with Mom, and off we go Saturday morning on our flight to Alberta. Man, this break is so needed, and I cannot think of anything more fun that I have done in years.
                              Last edited by Now in Darkness; 04-17-2014, 07:13 PM.
                              Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

Comment

Working...
                              X