Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proof that early 2000's Demos Do Exist

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Proof that early 2000's Demos Do Exist

    Max from Sepultura and Soulfly metioned the below in an interview promoting his new book.


    "Phoenix New Times: So why [write your memoir "My Bloody Roots"]? Why now?

    Max: It felt like it was a good time. I'm reaching about 30 years of my career. 30 years of music. It's a story that I think is really cool. Coming from Brazil . . . and you know, achieving what you wanted, your dream. There is a lot really funny shit in it. Pissing off Lemmy [Kilmister of MOTÖRHEAD]. Throwing wine on Lemmy's head. Lemmy chewing Gloria's [Cavalera, Max's wife and manager] ass, saying he wants to kick my ass. Puking on Eddie Vedder [PEARL JAM] on a MINISTRY tour. Those are fucking amazing stories and you can't fabricate this shit. The time made it. So it was a long process. I worked with a guy, Joel McIver, who is an English writer. He wrote a Randy Rhoads book, a MOTÖRHEAD book, a DEEP PURPLE book, and a METALLICA unofficial biography, which they really loved. We did about 1,000 interviews trying to remember everything. It wasn't chronological. One day, we'd talk about my childhood or the split from SEPULTURA or the death of [Max Cavalera's stepson] Dana. That was a really hard time to talk to about. It tough to talk about that stuff. That was hard . . . Dark, really dark.

    Phoenix New Times: How did you get through those moments? You know, thinking, should I say this?

    Max: I pissed off a lot of people. I called [brother Igor Cavalera's ex-wife] a whore. Paulo Jr. [SEPULTURA bassist] didn't play on a lot of records. It was the truth. A lot of people didn't know that. I didn't want to hold nothing back. I was truthful. Even my shit with drugs and alcohol. I abused the shit out of it. I don't know how I survived it. I was taking, like, 25 Vicodin a day and drinking two bottles of wine on top of it. People need to know this shit. I've been clean, like, eight years now. Early days of SEPULTURA . . . me hopping around like a Tasmanian devil on stage and that was usually after, like, six shots of vodka and some painkillers, but I wasn't fucked up. It was fuel for the show. I am human, you know, and vulnerable like anybody else. I fight demons like everybody else. It was hard to let things go. I like drinking. I like getting fucked up. I would never have puked on Eddie Vedder, but I did because I was fucked up. Same with Lemmy. I would never have thrown wine on his head, but I was fucked up. I would never have done it now — not in this state of mind — but I wouldn't have it any other way. I wanted SEPULTURA to play "Orgasmatron", but Lemmy wouldn't let us, so I got pissed off and the last night of [that] tour we all went on stage during MOTORHEAD's last song naked [laughs] with socks on our cocks and ruined their night. Lemmy got super-pissed and yelled at Gloria. He told her that we were never going to make it in rock 'n' roll and that we were unprofessional and all that shit. We've laughed about it since then, and I think we gained their respect, in a way.

    Phoenix New Times: Was it therapeutic for you to go through all of this?

    Max: We treated it more like conversation, like we're doing right now. It was more like us just having a talk. I wanted to be easy for people to read. I didn't want it to be complicated. I wanted it to be as easy as possible. The book starts in Brixton [London], which was the last show with SEPULTURA. Then we go back to my childhood in Brazil. I didn't know it was the final show at the time, but it was a really explosive way to begin. I thought it was a really cool to open it like that. It was his idea, instead of going chronologically. I was on top, conquering the world, and then right after that, getting kicked in the head and everything was gone. My band was gone, my brother was gone, Dana had just died. Dave Grohl [FOO FIGHTERS, NIRVANA] did an awesome intro. He tells a story about how he bought a $50,000 speaker for his studio sound system, and he pops in [SEPULTURA album] "Roots" and it blew up the whole fucking thing. [mimicking Grohl] "'Roots' blew up my whole system." I love that story. If your album can blow up a $50,000 system, you're doing something right. Mike Patton [FAITH NO MORE, MR. BUNGLE, TOMAHAWK] says really cool shit about us in Brazil. He was hanging out with us in Brazil, going to voodoo places. I took him to voodoo rituals in Brazil. He was staying at Igor's house. It was really cool. Sharon Osbourne talks about the Dana thing [in the book]. We were playing Donington [Monsters Of Rock festival] with [Ozzy Osbourne] and they flew us home in their private jet when Dana died. It was a horrible thing. We were flying home because Gloria's son died, in Ozzy's plane. It was horrible. The whole time. It was so dark. I wanted to say something to Gloria and words couldn't even come out of my mouth. Sharon talks about feeling like we needed a friend at that time and she was able to help us. They didn't have to do anything. They were just playing a show with us, and yet they showed their true colors. Somebody else could have said, "I'm sorry for your loss," but they didn't do that. They put us on their plane, gave us money and gave Gloria a crucifix. It was amazing. Then when I got kicked out of SEPULTURA, it was around January, we were invited to their [Sharon and Ozzy Osbourne] house for a dinner because Ozzy wanted to encourage me to go on. That's how felt, like he should do something. I went to their house and sat down. Ozzy sat me down and said, "Fuck them. Fuck those guys. You need to get up off your ass and do something." It was awesome to hear that from him and I needed to hear that. He played me some BLACK SABBATH demos and it blew my mind. It was fucking awesome to hear that from him. I was tripping the whole time. I never even imagined I would do that. You know, like when I was a kid in Brazil, if you would have told me I would sit down with Ozzy, fucking BLACK SABBATH, I wouldn't have believed it.Read the entire interview at Phoenix New Times."


    I wonder whats in that vault?!!!
    www.downtrendmetal.com

  • #2
    That is good news!

    Black Sabbath should sell all the new song demos with Bill Ward from early 2000's and all the 13 album demos with Bill Ward.

    That would be a great album!!!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by thewizard View Post
      That is good news!

      Black Sabbath should sell all the new song demos with Bill Ward from early 2000's and all the 13 album demos with Bill Ward.

      That would be a great album!!!

      Certainly would make for AWESOME Box Set Material at least!!!!
      www.downtrendmetal.com

      Comment


      • #4
        That doesn't add up. Max got kicked out of Sepultura in 1996 and started Soulfly soon after, so those demos must date from 1996, 1997, at the latest rather than the early 2000's.
        Unless he's got his events confused.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by SweetSymptom View Post
          That doesn't add up. Max got kicked out of Sepultura in 1996 and started Soulfly soon after, so those demos must date from 1996, 1997, at the latest rather than the early 2000's.
          Unless he's got his events confused.
          Now that you mention it Sympton, you are correct. I saw Max with Sepultura opening for Ozzy and Dazing in September 1996 but it wasn't long after that when they kicked him out. Of course.. I was the one that said early 2000s just going by my assumption. It does make you wonder if they must have been working on new materialearlier. Maybe even since the first reunion in 1997. Maybe Bill isn't on those demos, maybe it's Ozzy, Tony, Geezer and Mike Borden.
          www.downtrendmetal.com

          Comment


          • #6
            He probably just played him what became Psycho Man

            Comment


            • #7
              It's probably old Sabbath demos. My guess is it's the songs that ended up on the expanded editions (or whatever they were called).
              In the fields the bodies burning, as the war machine keeps turning.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by WallOfSleep View Post
                It's probably old Sabbath demos. My guess is it's the songs that ended up on the expanded editions (or whatever they were called).
                I'm thinking they were the tapes included on The Ozzman Cometh. IN the liner notes its said Ozzy found those in a shoebox in an attic of one of their homes. The timeline lines up perfectly. Ozzman Cometh came out in 97.

                However swinging this back to the subject line in the thread. Is there some sort of doubt in the existence of demo's from the 2000 sessions?
                If I recall what Ive read from band members there were 5 or 6 songs that sprang from that attempt; Songs.. not ideas, or just jams.. I'd automatically assume there were demos.
                The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by devstorm View Post
                  I'm thinking they were the tapes included on The Ozzman Cometh. IN the liner notes its said Ozzy found those in a shoebox in an attic of one of their homes. The timeline lines up perfectly. Ozzman Cometh came out in 97.
                  I believe those were tracks from the John Peel sessions, with the crowd noise edited out rather than demos as such.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I personally own 3 or 4 Peel session discs (Prong, Carcass, Napalm Death if not a few others) and have never heard crowd noise on any of them. Wasnt aware there was a live audience in attendance at any Peel sessions recording. Even though a recording is stated as live that doesnt always mean an audience was there... Testaments Practice What You Preach album for instance was done as a live recording.. meaning the band laid the tracks down all at the same time, at the same studio.. vs. massively overdubbed, one instrument at a time, in different locations.
                    The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by devstorm View Post
                      I personally own 3 or 4 Peel session discs (Prong, Carcass, Napalm Death if not a few others) and have never heard crowd noise on any of them. Wasnt aware there was a live audience in attendance at any Peel sessions recording. Even though a recording is stated as live that doesnt always mean an audience was there... Testaments Practice What You Preach album for instance was done as a live recording.. meaning the band laid the tracks down all at the same time, at the same studio.. vs. massively overdubbed, one instrument at a time, in different locations.
                      Very true. I'd always heard "with the crowd noise removed", and it wasn't until later on that I discovered the same thing. I suppose I just went back to what I had heard out of instinct.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Its probably the crowd noise that was dubbed in by Sharon that they had to take out Lol. I nearly puked when I heard Past Lives for the first time and noticed the fake crowd dubbed onto the "Paris" *cough BRUSSELLS! cough* songs and other live tracks. Same with Bark at the Moon live video with the swelling fake crowd noise at the beginning of each song. Who ever thinks thats a good idea?

                        This is a joke btw. I don't know anything about crowd noise on Peel sessions. I'm pretty sure they were done in a radio studio in London but I'm not positive.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Just cos the demos may exist doesn't mean they should see the light of day. It's a very personal process songwriting and if they don't feel right then they don't make it. I know fans want to hear everything but if the band weren't happy with them then the buck stops there.

                          It doesn't mean they don't care about you awesome fans, but they only put stuff foot when they are happy

                          Originally posted by princehollow View Post
                          Its probably the crowd noise that was dubbed in by Sharon that they had to take out Lol. I nearly puked when I heard Past Lives for the first time and noticed the fake crowd dubbed onto the "Paris" *cough BRUSSELLS! cough* songs and other live tracks. Same with Bark at the Moon live video with the swelling fake crowd noise at the beginning of each song. Who ever thinks thats a good idea?

                          This is a joke btw. I don't know anything about crowd noise on Peel sessions. I'm pretty sure they were done in a radio studio in London but I'm not positive.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by mike.x View Post
                            Just cos the demos may exist doesn't mean they should see the light of day. It's a very personal process songwriting and if they don't feel right then they don't make it. I know fans want to hear everything but if the band weren't happy with them then the buck stops there.

                            It doesn't mean they don't care about you awesome fans, but they only put stuff foot when they are happy
                            Thanks for taking the time to post that Mike, take a walk on over to the Bill Ward Open To Black Sabbath Return, thread.
                            "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                            "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                            ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
                              Thanks for taking the time to post that Mike, take a walk on over to the Bill Ward Open To Black Sabbath Return, thread.
                              Uh oh, am I in trouble

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X