No announcement yet.

Tony iommi: 'hyde park could be sabbath's last gig'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually official statement with apologies from the band was posted through promoters Facebook page. And it’s already all over the place. IMHO, apologies should have been done there and then. And again, main bitterness comes not from the incident with failed PAs (shot happens, that’s life) , but from the way how the band left the stage without saying goodbye to people, who have been supporting the band for decades even behind the “iron curtain” (shit, I was with my father, who listened to them since mid70s). Oh yeah, and the reason cites as malfunctioning of band’s mixing desk.
    http://vk.com/barghestboots

Comment

Originally posted by Now in Darkness View Post
      Alex, glad the show was great. I'll bet that "officials" threw the switch and did not allow the band to go out for a curtain call. I highly doubt that the Sabs were behind these bad manners. Give them the benefit of the doubt on this one.
      NiD, I doubt those in power would had have had anything to do with this case. There was an aura of complete confusion, though. But yeah the gig was great otherwise, and the recording turned out to be superb as well, which makes the lack of complete "cofhg" and "paranoid" a tangible loss.
      Last edited by AlexBarghest; 06-02-2014, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexBarghest View Post
        Actually official statement with apologies from the band was posted through promoters Facebook page. And it’s already all over the place. IMHO, apologies should have been done there and then. And again, main bitterness comes not from the incident with failed PAs (shot happens, that’s life) , but from the way how the band left the stage without saying goodbye to people, who have been supporting the band for decades even behind the “iron curtain” (shit, I was with my father, who listened to them since mid70s). Oh yeah, and the reason cites as malfunctioning of band’s mixing desk.

So help me understand something.

How exactly was the band supposed to go out with no working PA and somehow announce (in a language they don't speak) to thousands of roaring, impatient fans that they couldn't play an encore?

I guess I'm not following this reasoning.
        "It is not opinion that Ozzy peaked on Sabotage, it is a measurable fact."
        -WTB

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
          So help me understand something.

How exactly was the band supposed to go out with no working PA and somehow announce (in a language they don't speak) to thousands of roaring, impatient fans that they couldn't play an encore?

I guess I'm not following this reasoning.
          That's being a little silly Tim. Take the sound system out of the equation, and ask yourself if they take a final bow in other countries where they don't speak the language. Of course they do, and if the sound system is working, they speak in English; just like they don't change their lyrics into different languages for different audiences.
          Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

Comment

Originally posted by Now in Darkness View Post
            That's being a little silly Tim. Take the sound system out of the equation, and ask yourself if they take a final bow in other countries where they don't speak the language. Of course they do, and if the sound system is working, they speak in English; just like they don't change their lyrics into different languages for different audiences.
            The sound system wasn't working. So might as well delete your last sentence, Later In Lightness.

I'm assuming they took their bows after CotG. Was this not the case?

So unless I am not following something ("silly" me), the request is for them to come out to a confused, loud audience and take another bow? With no ability to explain what is going on?
            Last edited by Jeff; 06-02-2014, 11:41 AM.
            -WTB

Comment

They didn't take any bows after CotG. After that song, they were still unaware of the failing PA system and so they left the stage completely unceremoniously.

The blood runs free
              The rain turns red
              Give me the wine you keep the bread

Comment

*I blame $haron for this fiasco.

*humor

Comment

I'm assuming they took their bows after CotG. Was this not the case?

So unless I am not following something ("silly" me), the request is for them to come out to a confused, loud audience and take another bow? With no ability to explain what is going on?
                  As you say yourself; you're assuming they took their bows after cotg. If you'd actually read Alex's post, you'd see they finished cotg without even knowing the audience couldn't hear them. For those of us with atleast half a thought in our brain, that would make us assume they didn't know about the PA-failure until getting backstage, getting ready for the encore. (Now this is me assuming): They probably heard about the failure then, and (probably a bit bewildered) chose to end the show there (though i agree with Alex and everyone else who feel they should've gone out to atleast take a bow). Be careful throwing silly-words around, you might end up looking a bit silly yourself. I know, i do it every day...

Later In Lightness.
                  Talking about silly...

I thought we'd get rid of this name calling now with Stinky RP gone...
                  Last edited by Billy Underdog; 06-02-2014, 12:21 PM.
                  95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
                  Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Underdog View Post
                    As you say yourself; you're assuming they took their bows after cotg. If you'd actually read Alex's post, you'd see they finished cotg without even knowing the audience couldn't hear them. For those of us with atleast half a thought in our brain, that would make us assume they didn't know about the PA-failure until getting backstage, getting ready for the encore. (Now this is me assuming): They probably heard about the failure then, and (probably a bit bewildered) chose to end the show there (though i agree with Alex and everyone else who feel they should've gone out to atleast take a bow). Be careful throwing silly-words around, you might end up looking a bit silly yourself. I know, i do it every day...
                    Ok, since when after CotG do they not wave and say goodbye? Sure, it's standard procedure because they are coming back, so maybe they don't "bow," but it isn't as if they just walk off the stage with no waving and so forth.

I am sorry people some people at the show were so concerned with a "bow" but my guess is that for security reasons they were advised to bring the house lights up and call it a night.

Talking about silly...

I thought we'd get rid of this name calling now with Stinky RP gone...
                    Lighten up. He used the wrong name in responding to my post so I just responded in kind. Nothing serious intended.
                    -WTB

Comment

Ok, since when after CotG do they not wave and say goodbye? Sure, it's standard procedure because they are coming back, so maybe they don't "bow," but it isn't as if they just walk off the stage with no waving and so forth.

I am sorry people some people at the show were so concerned with a "bow" but my guess is that for security reasons they were advised to bring the house lights up and call it a night.
                      Well, in my train of thoughts (and seemingly several others) we all know about this "fake end" routine in every show out there. And those of us who follow Sabbath would've expected Paranoid, so a bow could atleast cleared the situation, as in "the show's actually over".

Lighten up. He used the wrong name in responding to my post so I just responded in kind. Nothing serious intended.
                      Got a slap on my wrist there... P&L
                      95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!

Comment

Well, in my train of thoughts (and seemingly several others) we all know about this "fake end" routine in every show out there. And those of us who follow Sabbath would've expected Paranoid, so a bow could atleast cleared the situation, as in "the show's actually over".
                        Oh, I agree.

But I'm just using a little logic. It's not as if the band have showed any reluctance to do "bows" and say their goodbyes.

Again, I think it likely that because there was no possibility of them playing, it was felt that it could incite more frustrations for them to appear again and not be able to play. It may have been an unjustified concern or a precaution that was over the top, but security people do have to think about things, like ... you know ... riots? Emotions were surely running very high, after all.
                        -WTB

Comment

Oh, I agree.

But I'm just using a little logic. It's not as if the band have showed any reluctance to do "bows" and say their goodbyes.

Again, I think it likely that because there was no possibility of them playing, it was felt that it could incite more frustrations for them to appear again and not be able to play. It may have been an unjustified concern or a precaution that was over the top, but security people do have to think about things, like ... you know ... riots? Emotions were surely running very high, after all.
                          Yeah, well, i was thinking about the famous Montreal show with Metallica and Guns N' Roses where James Hetfield got burned and Lars Ulrich went out to explain what happened to prevent a riot. Atleast until Guns got onstage...

Maybe i'm thinking too much like a "hardcore" fan now, but i know i would've understood and appreciated a bow after 5 min. of silence much more than just a dead end...

But for more "regular" fans, i know what you mean. It's a volatile situation with no real "right" answer, i guess...
                          Last edited by Billy Underdog; 06-02-2014, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Dear Jeff, as Billy and NiD got it right - almost all complaints, which you would see in internet if you would speak Russian are about not making a "real bow", that is usually kind of gratitude to public for all artists, be it musicians or theater actors. After CotG they simply went backstage, maybe routinely wavering aside, no more than that. And the public on the floor in attendance wouldn't cause a riot for sure. The audience was quite calm in a good sense - almost no drunk people, girls, people in their 50s-60s, whole families, yeah they were having fun during the set, but believe me, any security guy could tell the difference between this audience and the unruly one, which could be an issue, like the one, which you can sometimes see at big metal festivals like Wacken - huge guys, drunk as shit and looking for trouble. I think that was a stupid advice from management not to make a bow. But that's the point, as I was already writing - the PA going off was of course the blast, but everyone understood - things like that could happen from time to time. And no one expected any big words or speeches (which obviously couldn't happen with PA being off) , just letting everyone know, that the band appreciated the audience. I know it sounds gay, but the audience wasn't a normal stereotypical metal audience, so it was kinda expected for artists to bow out and wave goodbye. If there would be an audience, listening to extreme metal only, probably this audience wouldn't care less.
                            Last edited by AlexBarghest; 06-02-2014, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexBarghest View Post
                              Dear Jeff, as Billy and NiD got it right - almost all complaints, which you would see in internet if you would speak Russian are about not making a "real bow", that is usually kind of gratitude to public for all artists, be it musicians or theater actors. After CotG they simply went backstage, maybe routinely wavering aside, no more than that. And the public on the floor in attendance wouldn't cause a riot for sure. The audience was quite calm in a good sense - almost no drunk people, girls, people in their 50s-60s, whole families, yeah they were having fun during the set, but believe me, any security guy could tell the difference between this audience and the unruly one, which could be an issue, like the one, which you can sometimes see at big metal festivals like Wacken - huge guys, drunk as shit and looking for trouble. I think that was a stupid advice from management not to make a bow. But that's the point, as I was already writing - the PA going off was of course the blast, but everyone understood - things like that could happen from time to time. And no one expected any big words or speeches (which obviously couldn't happen with PA being off) , just letting everyone know, that the band appreciated the audience. I know it sounds gay, but the audience wasn't a normal stereotypical metal audience, so it was kinda expected for artists to bow out and wave goodbye. If there would be an audience, listening to extreme metal only, probably this audience wouldn't care less.
                              But Alex, you are suggesting the band didn't care or couldn't be bothered. We just don't have a track record from them that suggests anything of that kind when it comes to live performance. They always bow and Tony throws picks, etc.

Again, we can only guess, and it might seem overly cautious if security were concerned in this way, but it is certainly possible that they were advised by security to just let it go and bring the house lights on.
                              -WTB

Comment

They always bow and Tony throws picks, etc. .
                                That's the point Jeff, that never happened here. No picks, no bows, not even "goodbye, god bless you all" blabber. And again they have never played here with Ozzy. It's not States, where you have them each year they tour. People were waiting for decades.
                                Last edited by AlexBarghest; 06-02-2014, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X