Tony iommi: 'hyde park could be sabbath's last gig'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tony iommi: 'hyde park could be sabbath's last gig'

So this might be it for Sabbath on the touring front, but I sure hope it isn't (and so does Tony according to the article)

Even if massive world tours are off the books, I know they could pull of short US, UK and European treks every once in a while. Or some festival appearances etc.

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/n...ath-s-last-gig
    "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
    "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
    "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

I know some of you guys (like my "mortal enemies" NID and OIM ) have just seen Sabbath live (and with Ozzy singing well, all things considered) but in these later years I would ideally have Ozzy retire from touring and concentrate on making brilliant albums again.

I know it would never happen, but a (series of) studio album(s) with Ozzy, Bob Daisley (back in his lyric writing capacity), Jake E Lee or a tasteful, old school guitarist and a classic style drummer (chuck Don Airey in there) to finish off the solo career with a producer that really pushed Ozzy to bring his A game would be my dream situation.

And just apply the same thing to Sabbath, let them go crazy with overdubbing etc.

Tony and Geezer can pretty much go till they drop live, Ozzy or any singer has a limited shelf life and I'd like to get the most out of him personally.
    Last edited by Wheels Of Confusion; 05-14-2014, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Idon't quite understand this statement he made about his cancer? What's he mean "no support"

"I'm at a stage now where I have no support, which means I have to see whether the cancer is coming back or if it's still there or what,” he says. “I just don't know. It's a bit of a worry. After we finish this tour I'll go in and have scan, so we'll see what that shows up.”
      "Music is so sacred to me that I can’t hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
      R. Blackmore

Comment

Tony is right. The future is very uncertain, and that is why Mrs NiD and I made a point of seeing Sabbath 3 times in the past year. I am old enough to have seen many bands meet their demise, and I regret when that happens. There was no way that I was going to let this opportunity slide without making an effort to soak it all in. I believe in my gut that I will never see Sabbath play live again, and at this stage of the game, I will take whatever they can give us, while cherishing the memories that I do have. Unfortunately, cancer has touched many of my friends and family, and one of them has had lymphoma like Tony. Tony's next year will be spent on pins and needles, as he goes through repeated tests. Sadly, lymphoma does have a tendency to come back, so let's hope and pray that he fairs well into the future.
        Last edited by Now in Darkness; 05-14-2014, 09:58 AM.
        Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
          Idon't quite understand this statement he made about his cancer? What's he mean "no support"

"I'm at a stage now where I have no support, which means I have to see whether the cancer is coming back or if it's still there or what,” he says. “I just don't know. It's a bit of a worry. After we finish this tour I'll go in and have scan, so we'll see what that shows up.”
          What he means is that the chemo is done, and the cancer has been beaten down. However, as he moves into the future, he will have "no support" (from the chemo), and it will be up to his body to maintain the fight, or to allow the lymphoma to relapse.
          Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

Comment

I'll leave you all (for the summer) with this:

The end is becoming clearer and getting closer, I've been saying this to everyone for the last few years...go, see and win WHILE YOU STILL CAN. Anyone who wants and eventually goes to see Black Sabbath at this point of their career, should go through it like it indeed was the last time ever. You'll never know when it's the last time, it might be the next time. When it's over, it's over. You're definitely happier to have been there on location on the last possible moment than having missed the opportunity for whatever excuses.

Dio is a perfect example of this thinking. Each and every time when he walked out of the stage (5 x Dio shows, 3 x Heaven & Hell shows), I always thanked him and prayed for him in my mind, reveling in the happiness of the moment of just having experienced a show of a lifetime, always hoping to see him again once more...less than a year after the last Heaven & Hell show, Dio had passed away from this life to the next...

CARPE DIEM, Black Sabbath fans!!! Obey the force of heavy metal!!! Do it NOW!!!

Sabbathman
            "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

Comment

Originally posted by Now in Darkness View Post
              Tony is right. The future is very uncertain, and that is why Mrs NiD and I made a point of seeing Sabbath 3 times in the past year. I am old enough to have seen many bands meet their demise, and I regret when that happens. There was no way that I was going to let this opportunity slide without making an effort to soak it all in. I believe in my gut that I will never see Sabbath play live again, and at this stage of the game, I will take whatever they can give us, while cherishing the memories that I do have. Unfortunately, cancer has touched many of my friends and family, and one of them has had lymphoma like Tony. Tony's next year will be spent on pins and needles, as he goes through repeated tests. Sadly, lymphoma does have a tendency to come back, so let's hope and pray that he fairs well into the future.
              Same here, I made the absolute most of it and travelled around Australia seeing them on their last tour. It took them nearly 40 years to get back here with Ozzy & I knew they wouldn't be back. Only saw H & H the once on their 2007 Aussie tour & now regret that I didn't travel around Australia on that tour as well.

Comment

I have never been aboard due to band. But all this made to think would it now be the time to do this. And it is Black Sabbath! Hyde Park gig would be in the beginning of my summer holiday so it could be doable. Hmmm...

Some quick calculation: for 2 persons it would be nearly 1000 euros in total (flights, tickets, hotel), maybe little bit too expensive (and I saw them in Helsinki show )
                Last edited by NibRules; 05-15-2014, 12:21 AM.

Comment

I made the most of it between 1997 - 2009. Since then its been too uncertain, or undesirable for me. To me theres a difference between seeing a band while still in their prime and seeing the last of the last. But if this is the end, I was there; I witnessed it from the rafters all the way to the front rows. And I was able to see one of the legendary bands of all time bring it like few others could.. Anyway, I'm more then satisfied. If you werent there.. oh well..
                  The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Comment

...although I understand completely if it's true.

Comment

I really don't know if I'll ever have the chance to see them :(
                      Do you hear the thunder raging in the sky?
                      Premonition of a shattered world that’s gonna die.
                      In the age of reason, how do we survive?
                      The protocols of evil ravaging so many lives?

Comment

Saw them 8 times since 1997. Each one was awesome. No regrets.

Mansfield 97 Toronto 99 Hartford 99 Hartford 01 Hartford 04 Toronto 13 London 14 Hamilton 14

Comment

glad i saw them last year, had a feeling this might be it.
                          Try your hardest, you'll still be a loser
                          The world will still be turning when you're gone

Comment

I've seen them every time they have come thru our city in various incarnations, really happy I had a chance to see them with Ozzy in April. Who knows they may do some one off shows rather than tours if Tony's health improves which is of primary importance.

Comment

personally i hope his cancer is in remission,and he feels better ,that's all that really matters.
                              i'm sure if healthy they will do something,god willing.

Comment

Working...
                              X