Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

Do You Like "Never Say Die!"?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Do You Like "Never Say Die!"?

    I'm spinning this one on my record player now. A family member gave it to me as a gift. I am a fairly new Sabbath fan, so I have only heard the album a couple times, but I'm willing to say that this album doesn't deserve such a bad rep. There are some great songs on this record. "Over To You", "A Hard Road" and "Juniors Eyes" are some very good songs, if you ask me. Even the end section of "Johnny Blade" is pretty cool. Overall, not their best album, but I don't believe it's all that bad. It's just different.

    But that's just me. What do YOU think of "Never Say Die!"?

  • #2
    Originally posted by Shoopsy View Post
    I'm spinning this one on my record player now. A family member gave it to me as a gift. I am a fairly new Sabbath fan, so I have only heard the album a couple times, but I'm willing to say that this album doesn't deserve such a bad rep. There are some great songs on this record. "Over To You", "A Hard Road" and "Juniors Eyes" are some very good songs, if you ask me. Even the end section of "Johnny Blade" is pretty cool. Overall, not their best album, but I don't believe it's all that bad. It's just different.

    But that's just me. What do YOU think of "Never Say Die!"?
    I agree with you. It's a really decent album, just different. Junior's Eyes could be one of their best!
    Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Now in Darkness View Post
      I agree with you. It's a really decent album, just different. Junior's Eyes could be one of their best!
      It is a really cool track... Great groove.

      Comment


      • #4
        Never say Die is one of my favorites!!!

        The songs scream that they are written and arranged by talented musicians.

        Bill's drumming and Ozzy's vocals really stand out as high lights.

        Comment


        • #5
          I love Never Say Die!, and I quite prefer it to Technical Ecstasy. It has some of Bill's jazziest drumming, and the songs are all so unique.

          Comment


          • #6
            Never Say Die is my third favorite behind SBS and Sabotage. I think that Ozzy sounds excellent and the band is still razor sharp.
            Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

            Comment


            • #7
              I love it.

              I know it was an unpleasant experience making the record but I don't think it deserves the "biggest pile of shit I've ever made in my life" status given to it by Ozzy

              Comment


              • #8
                I think it's great. Some of the grooviest, jazziest stuff they've ever done with Junior's and Breakout (which isn't only the best tunes on the album, but rank high in their overall catalogue too...), to straight out party-time pop(ish) Rock. Could've done without Johnny Blade, though. That sounds like a bad mix of Liberty Cap shrooms and speed (which i have done, and believe me; it's not a fun combo...).

                It does without rank several miles ahead of TE. Still not quite sure which is better between NSD! and 13, though.

                The album doesn't get the love it deserves from the band, but i would think that's more to do with bad memories around the recording process and the general bad band politics at the time, rather than actually having sat down to re-visit the music...
                95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
                Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

                Comment


                • #9
                  My least favourite Ozzy era album. I'm in the minority it seems that enyoys TE so much more than NSD.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Thelemech View Post
                    Never Say Die is my third favorite behind SBS and Sabotage.
                    Exactly my take on the Ozzy albums.
                    Last edited by KiloDeltaCharlie; 05-24-2014, 07:29 AM.
                    My name is Lucifer please take my hand.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Jack the Stripper View Post
                      My least favourite Ozzy era album. I'm in the minority it seems that enyoys TE so much more than NSD.
                      Well I don't know about the minority part...well atleast I share your view 100%.

                      To me Never Say Die is the worst album Black Sabbath has ever released...part from the first three tracks it's pure garbage.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I love Never Say Die!

                        It left the motto for Sabbath's return with Ozzy, hence the term never say die! in which they didn't, they returned after 35 years with such a force they obliterated everything and everyone else in there path, and I think it's the reason they used the pilot face in their tours and advertisements for the subsequent tour and album.
                        "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                        "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                        ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
                          I love Never Say Die!

                          It left the motto for Sabbath's return with Ozzy, hence the term never say die! in which they didn't, they returned after 35 years with such a force they obliterated everything and everyone else in there path, and I think it's the reason they used the pilot face in their tours and advertisements for the subsequent tour and album.

                          Actually they used the pilot because Stark wore that shirt on The Avengers and they rode on that publicity...which wasn't the greatest move since that it one horrible artwork.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Charger View Post
                            Actually they used the pilot because Stark wore that shirt on The Avengers and they rode on that publicity...which wasn't the greatest move since that it one horrible artwork.
                            I love the artwork too and the album and everything Ozzy/Sabbath!

                            That's the meaning I took from that, that is what it means to me. And didn't the movie come out after that?
                            Last edited by OzzyIsDio; 05-24-2014, 09:15 AM.
                            "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                            "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                            ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
                              And didn't the movie come out after that?
                              The movie was filmed during 2011 and Sabbath made their announcement on 11-11-11 so no...movie was done first....and it actually came out before Sabbath did their little summer tour in 2012 too.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X