Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, the Internet thinks there's a 2015 Black Sabbath album coming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by OIM View Post
    What the actual fuck?
    not hard stuff to figure out fella.

Comment

• ozzy sings from the heart and brings it from the streets, i love ozzys voice and his whole vibe. you could relate so much more to ozzy than you could other singers. 70s sabbath were a tough band off the streets of some shit hole and they gave me so much more to think about than any other band did.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charger View Post
        Somebody didn't read my last post.

If you hear gazillion different vocals styles in Ozzy's voice well...good for you I guess? I don't.
        I think it's you who don't read what you write.

You said that he has one vocal style and that's pretty much it. Nobody is arguing that he has a "gazillion" styles.

Get real. He may have a certain approach to singing (most singers do), but his "style" arguably changed as much as any other singer throughout the 70s.

Compare his approach on Paranoid to that on Technical Ecstasy. Listen to where he took his style on Vol. 4 after maintaining a certain approach on much of the first three albums. Compare his singing on "Spiral Architect" to that which is on "Behind The Wall Of Sleep." Compare "Junior's Eyes" to "Electric Funeral." Listen to "Am I Going Insane?" after listening to "Sweet Leaf."

You have a bad argument here. I'd suggest letting it go instead of trying to defend it.
        "It is not opinion that Ozzy peaked on Sabotage, it is a measurable fact."
        -WTB

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff View Post
          I think it's you who don't read what you write.

You said that he has one vocal style and that's pretty much it. Nobody is arguing that he has a "gazillion" styles.

Get real. He may have a certain approach to singing (most singers do), but his "style" arguably changed as much as any other singer throughout the 70s.

Compare his approach on Paranoid to that on Technical Ecstasy. Listen to where he took his style on Vol. 4 after maintaining a certain approach on much of the first three albums. Compare his singing on "Spiral Architect" to that which is on "Behind The Wall Of Sleep." Compare "Junior's Eyes" to "Electric Funeral." Listen to "Am I Going Insane?" after listening to "Sweet Leaf."

You have a bad argument here. I'd suggest letting it go instead of trying to defend it.
          Ehm...no.

On all of those songs Ozzy sounds like Ozzy there's no different vocal styles there, it's just the one. Just because he sings slowly in one and faster in another doesn't really make those different singing styles at all.

Perhaps we just have different takes on what the term singing style actually means.

Darkest Light said it well in his post.

And again I'm not mocking Ozzy's style, never have never will as I love the man for what he does...but saying he's a versatile singer is like saying vanilla icecream is a cornucopia of different tastes.

Comment

• On all of those songs Ozzy sounds like Ozzy.
            That is the beautiful thing, love that voice.

Originally posted by Charger View Post

And again I'm not mocking Ozzy's style, never have never will as I love the man for what he does.
            I love the man too, for who he is and what he does.
            "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
            "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
            ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Ehm...no.

On all of those songs Ozzy sounds like Ozzy there's no different vocal styles there, it's just the one. Just because he sings slowly in one and faster in another doesn't really make those different singing styles at all.

Perhaps we just have different takes on what the term singing style actually means.

Darkest Light said it well in his post.

And again I'm not mocking Ozzy's style, never have never will as I love the man for what he does...but saying he's a versatile singer is like saying vanilla icecream is a cornucopia of different tastes.
              I'm not sure if you have hearing problems but the examples I cited are the antithesis of what you describe.

Reason # 1 is the different timbres used. A song like "Black Sabbath" has very different tonal characteristics to, say ... "Johnny Blade."

And again, you seem to want to argue one extreme or another. Nobody is suggesting that Ozzy is the world's most "versatile" singer in any traditional sense. What's being explained to you (and we'll see just how thick you are about the obvious) is that his singing is not nearly as easily explained as "one vocal style."

And we haven't even addressed the different characters he presents within his approach. From playful to sinister to weepy to comical to mysterious ... there are obvious examples of all these components in his singing.
              -WTB

Comment

• Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
                That is the beautiful thing, love that voice.
                Well I dig his voice for the way it is- warts and all. It's a really hard voice to imitate.

Comment

• Ozzy has one of the best, most evocative, most sinister, and most recognizable voices in rock. Period. He is a monster, and should never be under estimated for his contribution to the genre.
                  Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Now in Darkness View Post
                    Ozzy has one of the best, most evocative, most sinister, and most recognizable voices in rock. Period. He is a monster, and should never be under estimated for his contribution to the genre.
                    Ozzy Osbourne is a talented creative genius... look at his track record... His legacy!

One of the reasons I like Black Sabbath's 13 album is because of Ozzy's outstanding vocals. Ozzy sounds unique and original on every song.

Comment

• Originally posted by Now in Darkness View Post
                      Ozzy has one of the best, most evocative, most sinister, and most recognizable voices in rock. Period. He is a monster, and should never be under estimated for his contribution to the genre.
                      No he most certainly should not be. And there surely isn't another voice so easily recognizable than Ozzy's.

Am going to leave Jeff fight the windmills alone...I've made my point and if he can't see (or in this case hear) the facts as they are so be it...time for me to move on. There's no point in this kind of bickering....and most importantly it has nothing to do with the topic!

Comment

Am going to leave Jeff fight the windmills alone...I've made my point and if he can't see (or in this case hear) the facts as they are so be it...time for me to move on. There's no point in this kind of bickering....and most importantly it has nothing to do with the topic!
                        My guess is that you're simply repeating things which you have heard Ronnie James Dio say about Ozzy's singing; and probably things he said when upset. Because what you are referencing as "facts" are opinion, and you've been unable to demonstrate how my specific examples of why you are wrong are inaccurate. That's because you can't.

I essentially put Ronnie and Ozzy on completely equal footing so I'm pretty objective. And I can honestly say that while I loved Ronnie as a singer, a musician, and a Heavy Metal spokesman, he wasn't right about everything. His opinion of Ozzy's singing was based in some truth, but lacked the in depth knowledge necessary to truly comment. Nor was he able to demonstrate much objectivity on the matter and I can understand why. He endured a lot of crap said by Ozzy in the early 80s. But put more bluntly, Ronnie was simply wrong about Ozzy as a singer. He missed the mountain for the molehill. The technical shortcomings he heard were weighed too heavily in his mind. And I highly doubt he even knew what Ozzy was like as a singer in his prime (74-75) anyway.

I've said my peace. And agree to drop it.
                        -WTB

Comment

My guess is that you're simply repeating things which you have heard Ronnie James Dio say about Ozzy's singing; and probably things he said when upset. Because what you are referencing as "facts" are opinion, and you've been unable to demonstrate how my specific examples of why you are wrong are inaccurate. That's because you can't.
                          I don't think Ronnie's ever said anything like that...or atleast I haven't heard anything of the sort...

Comment

I don't think Ronnie's ever said anything like that...or atleast I haven't heard anything of the sort...
                            Well, I guess you either live in a cave or are a very recent convert to Dio-era Sabs fandom.

Ronnie definitely criticized Ozzy as a singer. And as I say, I'm not even blaming him. I'm just saying that, while I understood his position and even agree there was an element of truth to it, I don't agree with him overall. And I don't suspect that he truly had the knowledge of Ozzy's prime singing to be making such statements.
                            -WTB

Comment

Well, I guess you either live in a cave or are a very recent convert to Dio-era Sabs fandom.

Ronnie definitely criticized Ozzy as a singer. And as I say, I'm not even blaming him. I'm just saying that, while I understood his position and even agree there was an element of truth to it, I don't agree with him overall. And I don't suspect that he truly had the knowledge of Ozzy's prime singing to be making such statements.
                              Yeah I'm recent convert...only been a fan for about 20 or so years so yeah what do I know...

I'd like you to post a link to an interview where Ronnie said that then...but I do find it possible...I can see why versatile singers might find something to critisize about Ozzy's singing...as he isn't.

But again this is sooo outside the topic and in fact totally ridiculous so time to move on ->

Comment

• "Ozzy couldn't carry a tune in a suitcase" LOL

As untrue as that was, that was a pretty good line.

Comment

Working...
                                X