Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

Brad Wilk Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brad Wilk Appreciation Thread

I was just listening to Tommy Clufetos butcher some songs from the 13 tour on Youtube and, and can't help feeling grateful that they went with Wilk for the album. Actually, I find it shocking that Clufetos was ever a consideration. I don't know if it was just something Ozzy wanted just because he likes the guy or what, but all I know is that you don't replace Bill Ward with someone just because they're your fuckin' friend.

I am one of the many who was, is and always will be disappointed by Bill Ward not being included in this final Sabbath masterpiece, but could they have possibly made a better choice than Wilk? He's not Ward, and can only sound so much like Ward, but what an amazing job! Kind of unfair that he won't go down in history as an official Sabbath drummer, seeing that he's by far the second best they've ever had. Atleast in my opinion.

What song from 13 do you think Wilk did the best job on? In other words, on which song does he sound like Blll Ward the most? While listening to Damaged Soul and Loner, at times, I forget that it's someone else. I'm pretty unfamiliar with Rage Against The Machine, but I'm still so impressed by WIlk on 13. And I don't think his contribution to making it a true Sabbath album has been acknowledged nearly enough.

Something tells me this next tour will once again include Clufetos on drums. How cool would it be if they got Vinny Appice instead? I mean, if they're gonna get someone who's gonna butcher songs from the original Sabbath, it might as well be someone who was actually in Sabbath at one point, right?
    Last edited by Tromafreak; 11-22-2015, 09:40 PM.

Nah man, fuck Brad Wilk! lol

He did an OK job, I'm not that big a fan of 13 but to be fair it's not the drums that I don't really like about it.

I don't see what's to celebrate, he has basically absolutely nothing to do with Black Sabbath whatsoever and did session work on what I find to be a very mediocre album by men who could do so much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Tromafreak View Post
      you don't replace Bill Ward with someone just because they're your fuckin' friend.
      Bev Bevan comes to mind.
      We don’t see things as they are; we see them as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Tromafreak View Post
        Kind of unfair that he won't go down in history as an official Sabbath drummer, seeing that he's by far the second best they've ever had.
        Damned straight!
        95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
        Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Comment

Originally posted by Wheels Of Confusion View Post

He did an OK job, I'm not that big a fan of 13 but to be fair it's not the drums that I don't really like about it.

I don't see what's to celebrate, he has basically absolutely nothing to do with Black Sabbath whatsoever and did session work on what I find to be a very mediocre album by men who could do so much better.
          Yeah. I guess Wilk contributed nothing except his drumming. But it's not like he was the first of their drummers to not have creative input. From what I understand, neither did Appice on The Devil You Know. And Wilk could have done what he did one handed. Wilk had a job to do, and he damn well did it. The songs weren't as pretty or catchy as they would have been with Bill, but Compare his 13 performance to any non-Ward performance, and the man sounds like gold. Mainly because it's the only time BS ever attempted a real Ward replacement. Why, I don't know. The only thing I don't like about his drumming on that album isn't really his fault, as the drums, at times, sounded buried underneath the guitar and bass, making it even more obvious that he wasn't part of the band.

I don't agree at all that 13 was mediocre. Certainly not the most original/creative thing they've done, but it's a very strong album. However, I do agree that they're all capable of better, and I believe this next album that's not gonna happen would have been just that.
          Last edited by Tromafreak; 11-23-2015, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Speaking of drummers that butchered BW's drum parts live, i listened to a show from the Born again tour and Bev Beven couldn't even play Iron Man War Pigs right.

Comment

Originally posted by scorpio 2000 View Post
              Speaking of drummers that butchered BW's drum parts live, i listened to a show from the Born again tour and Bev Beven couldn't even play Iron Man War Pigs right.
              Listen to Vinnie on after forever when he filled in for Bill at Ozzfest. Some of the worst drumming I've ever heard

Comment

Gotta pretty much agree with everything here.

For a nu-metal/rap metal band drummer Wilk did a good job here and I doubt he was anyone's first choice for a Sabbath album. He is tons better than Clulessfetos for sure. But he was still just a session guy never a member...but sure he can always boost his own ego by going "hey I played on a Sabbath album" if he needs to!

Comment

Cozy Powell is the second best that's ever occupied the drum throne in Sabbath.

Comment

Brad Wilk

I love Brad and Clufetos
                    I understand they are not Bill, but they are filling in for the best drummer ever. I mean Bill and Bonham are one of a kind.
                    www.reverbnation.com/sungod4

www.facebook/curseofdisobedience

www.reverbnation.com/clawhammer1 and www.reverbnation.com/blackmountainthunder

Comment

Absolutely love Wilk's performance on 13. I think he captured the essence of what Mk 1 Sabbath lineup is all about with his groove, swing and inventive little fills and decorations. Love his playing in Age Of Reason and Dear Father in particular.

I honestly think that Wilk > current Bill Ward.
                      "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
                      "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
                      "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Comment

Originally posted by Jack the Stripper View Post
                        Cozy Powell is the second best that's ever occupied the drum throne in Sabbath.
                        Agreed, I love his work on Headless Cross especially!!
                        Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

Comment

Originally posted by scorpio 2000 View Post
                          Couldn't "even" play them right?

Both of those songs are some of the most ridiculously difficult and unique rock drumming ever accomplished.

Frankly, nobody has even gotten either of them "right" besides Bill.

Doesn't mean Bevan isn't an excellent drummer.
                          "It is not opinion that Ozzy peaked on Sabotage, it is a measurable fact."
                          -WTB

Comment

For you, I suspect that probably the most important component of understanding this thread would be to realize that your impression of 13 is a bunch of nonsense to most others here.

So many might wish to "celebrate" how that sound came together.

Wilk was fantastic in my book.
                            "It is not opinion that Ozzy peaked on Sabotage, it is a measurable fact."
                            -WTB

Comment

Wilk did a fantastic job of capturing the basic essence of the Sabbath sound, and I give him full credit. Rubin also did a fantastic job of recognizing his talent, but unfortunately, he was only ever going to be a session drummer in the band, due to previously existing friendships. Cluefetos is a big hearted kid, with stamina to spare, and I love him for that, but he is a ham fisted pounder of the highest order, and as a result, the musical quality of the Sabbath sound was sold very short with his inclusion in the touring unit. IMHO, Cluefetos approaches Sabbath's music the wrong way. Even when he plays Bill's part exactly, he has no touch in comparison, and he reduces Sabbath's music to something primal, when in fact it was never recorded with that intent. Sabbath's approach to music was always one rung higher than just loud and pounding.
                              Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

Comment

Working...
                              X