Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

Charles Bradley Covering Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charles Bradley Covering Changes

Check out the new video by Charles Bradley covering Changes. It captures the spirit of the original with an excellent R&B take. This is breathtaking. I typically can't stand Sabbath covers but this is done perfectly.

"Charles Bradley explained his strong connection to the song, saying, "I think about the lyrics very closely when I sing 'Changes' and get emotional." He said he finds it very personal, saying that, "It makes me think of my mother and the changes in life since she passed away."
    Seems he thinks the original is pretty powerful also…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi49yirJiEA
    Religion won't save me
    The damage is done
    The future has ended
    Before it's begun
    - Damaged Soul - Black Sabbath

Don't kill me now, but i actually kinda think it's better than the original. The horns, drums, shuffled rythm and the R&B-voice really does the trick.
    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
    Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Comment

He was able to appropriate the song and transpose it into his musical world so different from the original
      just great .
      much more interesting that another cover version by a Metal band .

Comment

I think we had a thread on this when it came out, but yeah, definitely a winner. Beautifully done.

The Cardigans also did a pretty good version of "Changes." Live versions are on YouTube. Not over the top to the point where you can hardly recognize the song like their covers of "Iron Man" and "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath," but with acoustic guitars and a slightly up-tempo groove.

Nothing can touch the original in my book, but Bradley's version is superb.
        "It is not opinion that Ozzy peaked on Sabotage, it is a measurable fact."
        -WTB

Comment

I'm gonna sex to this tonight

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Underdog View Post
            Don't kill me now, but i actually kinda think it's better than the original. The horns, drums, shuffled rythm and the R&B-voice really does the trick.
            Agreed brother Bill!
            You bought and sold me with your lying words.
            Phil, your head's all full of lice!

Comment

Originally posted by TYR66 View Post
              He was able to appropriate the song and transpose it into his musical world so different from the original
              just great .
              much more interesting that another cover version by a Metal band .
              Amen. Maybe it'll bring the Sab's music to a whole new audience. I'm a big fan of Al Green, so I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for Charles when he tours.
              Ernie the Embryo

Comment

I agree. Fantastic version.

Comment

Lose the voice and I'd agree.
                  Nobody I know is gonna take my rock & roll away from me.

Comment

Ozzy's voice on the original is quite literally one of the most unique in the history of popular music.

I'm going beyond even just rock. Music; period. Nobody ever sounded like that before or since.

The R&B cover is awesome stuff, but let's get real. I think some folks in this thread need to spin the original outside of the context of how it is wedged between all of those epic rock masterpieces on Vol. 4. "Changes" one of the most haunting ballads ever committed to tape. To whatever extent it might sound a bit "cheesy," I think that's just because it's almost TOO MUCH! When Ozzy's voice comes in, it is quite literally surreal.

And I still think they were ultimately trying to do a "bluesy" ballad. The lyrics are like nothing they ever had done and surely written by Ozzy, but remind of countless others from the blues-rock bands of the day. To me, it's just a brilliant twist on the blues and a brilliant twist on a ballad. Combined! As much as I like him, the world has had and will have a lot of other Charles Bradleys. There will never be another Ozzy Osbourne.
                    "It is not opinion that Ozzy peaked on Sabotage, it is a measurable fact."
                    -WTB

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                      Ozzy's voice on the original is quite literally one of the most unique in the history of popular music.

I'm going beyond even just rock. Music; period. Nobody ever sounded like that before or since.

The R&B cover is awesome stuff, but let's get real. I think some folks in this thread need to spin the original outside of the context of how it is wedged between all of those epic rock masterpieces on Vol. 4. "Changes" one of the most haunting ballads ever committed to tape. To whatever extent it might sound a bit "cheesy," I think that's just because it's almost TOO MUCH! When Ozzy's voice comes in, it is quite literally surreal.

And I still think they were ultimately trying to do a "bluesy" ballad. The lyrics are like nothing they ever had done and surely written by Ozzy, but remind of countless others from the blues-rock bands of the day. To me, it's just a brilliant twist on the blues and a brilliant twist on a ballad. Combined! As much as I like him, the world has had and will have a lot of other Charles Bradleys. There will never be another Ozzy Osbourne.
                      Couldn't agree more. The Bradley cover is good and a nice take on the song no doubt, but nothing can compare to Ozzy singing it. It's just hauntingly beautiful and dripping with emotion. It's a shining moment in Ozzy's career and I'll never tire of hearing it.

Comment

I've always liked the Red Rock performance of this one that is on Ozzy's Live And Loud album more than the original.

That, and Black Sabbath-are the only two tracks I listen to off that anymore.

Comment

Great cover, that video sucks major balls though. Gringe-worthy footage for sure

And good points about Ozzy's vocal performance on the studio version. Rich, emotional and you gotta love that natural, fast staccato vibrato he had going on back then. It's a shame he basically lost it in the early years of his solo career.

Originally posted by Wheels Of Confusion View Post
                          I've always liked the Red Rock performance of this one that is on Ozzy's Live And Loud album more than the original.
                          Originally posted by Wheels Of Confusion View Post

That, and Black Sabbath-are the only two tracks I listen to off that anymore.
                          Surely you jest! The duet with Ozzy and Kelly is the most hauntingly beautiful rendition of Changes - or any piece of music in the history of mankind - ever

Last edited by -E5150 StarWanderer-; 12-31-2015, 06:58 AM.
                          "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
                          "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
                          "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Comment

We can all agree that the Kelly Osbourne/Ozzy version of changes was an abortion. I honestly was unable to listen to the entire song and I'm trying to erase it from my memory

Comment

Originally posted by OIM View Post
                              We can all agree that the Kelly Osbourne/Ozzy version of changes was an abortion. I honestly was unable to listen to the entire song and I'm trying to erase it from my memory
                              I've never actually purposely listened to it. I think I only ever heard a snippet of it on some TV show when it first came out and that was enough.

Comment

Working...
                              X