Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

Some Thoughts on The End Tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Thoughts on The End Tour

It is great to hear the reports from several members of BSO regarding the shows attended, along with photos and videos from these experiences. Personally, we had an awesome time at the Montreal show. I continue to be amazed by the performances by Ozzy, Tony, Geezer, and Tommy on this momentous tour. I was a Black Sabbath fan for 32 years when I saw them live for the first time in 2013. Now, I have seen three shows, with one left in August. It is difficult to accept that this will be the last time. The cost of tickets and travel is definitely worth it to enjoy seeing the masters one more time. Yes, Ozzy could see my f*n hands. A few additional thoughts came to mind....

Is this really the end?
    Will there be any new releases coming around the bend?
    The finality of the End Tour and the thought of no new material creates an increasing sense of dread.
    Then, the masters release The End cd with the new classic-Season of the Dead.

My level sadness grows as every tour date comes and goes.
    I attempt to cure the symptom by reliving my Sabbath memories from my last three shows.
    When the tour comes to an end, will we spiral into the void?
    Am I just being paranoid?

Robot ghosts see only negativity and seek to spread their delusions.
    They fail to realize before they criticize that they are lost in confusion.
    While masses of loyal Sabbath maniacs march to witness musical brilliance live.
    As the end nears, we will never say die!

Originally posted by The Sabman Cometh View Post
    It is great to hear the reports from several members of BSO regarding the shows attended, along with photos and videos from these experiences. Personally, we had an awesome time at the Montreal show. I continue to be amazed by the performances by Ozzy, Tony, Geezer, and Tommy on this momentous tour. I was a Black Sabbath fan for 32 years when I saw them live for the first time in 2013. Now, I have seen three shows, with one left in August. It is difficult to accept that this will be the last time. The cost of tickets and travel is definitely worth it to enjoy seeing the masters one more time. Yes, Ozzy could see my f*n hands. A few additional thoughts came to mind....

Is this really the end?
    Will there be any new releases coming around the bend?
    The finality of the End Tour and the thought of no new material creates an increasing sense of dread.
    Then, the masters release The End cd with the new classic-Season of the Dead.

My level sadness grows as every tour date comes and goes.
    I attempt to cure the symptom by reliving my Sabbath memories from my last three shows.
    When the tour comes to an end, will we spiral into the void?
    Am I just being paranoid?

Robot ghosts see only negativity and seek to spread their delusions.
    They fail to realize before they criticize that they are lost in confusion.
    While masses of loyal Sabbath maniacs march to witness musical brilliance live.
    As the end nears, we will never say die!
    Love your thoughts Sabman. Many of my other favorite bands, like Floyd, and Zeppelin have been gone for years, and it is a tough pill to swallow. The loss of Mk I Sabbath will be hard, but the most important thing, once it is all said and done, is that the members are still alive. They will continue to reside in our hearts, and hopefully, for many years to come. That alone makes me happy. So many have gone before them, but for now, we have the entire crew above ground, where we want them.
    Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

Comment

I have only words of thanks to Sabbath ,I never thought I was going to see them live in 2013 and now i cant belive that I have seven show to come for me i cant wait ! and a really love read all your post that make me feel what all of you feel in your shows.
      Tony Gezzer and Ozzy are beyod all,they could be in their home and they give us a new chance , last chance saddly...
      I have no other band in my life im 28 years old and after Sabbath i think that i will never see a show again.
      thanks to all of you for share your experiences, NID reading you makes me happy and sad at the same time..the before and after the shows..
      I'm glad you have one more chance in las vegas
      "Just remember love is life" i owe my life sabbath

Comment

Originally posted by ozzysabbath View Post
        I have only words of thanks to Sabbath ,I never thought I was going to see them live in 2013 and now i cant belive that I have seven show to come for me i cant wait ! and a really love read all your post that make me feel what all of you feel in your shows.
        Tony Gezzer and Ozzy are beyod all,they could be in their home and they give us a new chance , last chance saddly...
        I have no other band in my life im 28 years old and after Sabbath i think that i will never see a show again.
        thanks to all of you for share your experiences, NID reading you makes me happy and sad at the same time..the before and after the shows..
        I'm glad you have one more chance in las vegas
        Enjoy every minute brother! All the best.
        Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

Comment

I hope im not alone in hoping they crank out "Lord Of This World" at some point on this tour....truly underrated gem
          My Website - www.rdemaree.com

Comment

I'm a Sabbath fan since the 80's. Saw Ozzy for the first time in Rock in Rio, in 1985...

Can you imagine for a South American boy, now a 45 years old man, see the band alive?

Meet Ozzy?

I spent many years trying to see them, in US, but I can't go.

So in 2013, Sabbath comes to Brazil. Can you imagine that? Sabbath in Brazil...

It was almost a miracle!

And now, they will come again. It will be annouced soon, believe me. It is too good to be true, and I am more Happy than sad with The End.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Demaree View Post
              I hope im not alone in hoping they crank out "Lord Of This World" at some point on this tour....truly underrated gem
              I would love that! One of my all-time favorites and one of Tony's grooviest riffs. I think Ozzy could still sing it ok too.

Comment

On one hand, I'm rather disappointed they're not playing a longer set with more rarities than just HOD. Pre-tour, they (especially Tony) seemed to hype this as the tour they'd really dig out a lot of nuggets. In the end, it's basically another rehash of the old predictable set (again, just adding HOD, which IS awesome).

On the other hand though, I'm thoroughly impressed with the level of performance by all, especially Ozzy. Maybe it's because I had set lower expectations for him, but I was blown away by how good he was at the Vegas gig. Seemingly singing and moving around as well as he has at any time over the last 20 years. He looks very sure of himself at the moment, which is NOT how he looked at the first 13 Tour gig I saw. But every time I start to write him off as being done, the old guy comes back and proves me wrong. At his age and after all the self-abuse, it's utterly amazing.

We know Tony and Geezer are always rock solid, so the other guy I want to mention is Clufetos. The more I watch videos from the tour, the more I wish they'd record a new album with HIM on drums. No, he's not 1970s Bill Ward, I totally get that. But Bill himself isn't 1970s Bill Ward anymore either. What Clufetos may lack in finesse compared to Bill, he makes up for with power that Bill simply doesn't have anymore. When I listen to versions of "War Pigs" with Tommy behind the kit, it has WAY more kick to my ears than it did the last few years Bill was playing it. Not trying to bash Bill; his 1970s playing will NEVER be equaled, but age diminishes everyone eventually. I understand many long timers don't agree, but I think the current lineup has a great chemistry. It's just a *different* chemistry than they had with Bill.

It'll be interesting to see how Ozzy holds up as the tour still has a long way to go. Also to see if the set changes at all when they get back to N.A. (or if it gets even shorter). One thing's for sure - Sabbath are not embarrassing themselves in the least with the current quality of shows, *46 years* into their career.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeTX View Post
                  On one hand, I'm rather disappointed they're not playing a longer set with more rarities than just HOD. Pre-tour, they (especially Tony) seemed to hype this as the tour they'd really dig out a lot of nuggets. In the end, it's basically another rehash of the old predictable set (again, just adding HOD, which IS awesome).

On the other hand though, I'm thoroughly impressed with the level of performance by all, especially Ozzy. Maybe it's because I had set lower expectations for him, but I was blown away by how good he was at the Vegas gig. Seemingly singing and moving around as well as he has at any time over the last 20 years. He looks very sure of himself at the moment, which is NOT how he looked at the first 13 Tour gig I saw. But every time I start to write him off as being done, the old guy comes back and proves me wrong. At his age and after all the self-abuse, it's utterly amazing.

We know Tony and Geezer are always rock solid, so the other guy I want to mention is Clufetos. The more I watch videos from the tour, the more I wish they'd record a new album with HIM on drums. No, he's not 1970s Bill Ward, I totally get that. But Bill himself isn't 1970s Bill Ward anymore either. What Clufetos may lack in finesse compared to Bill, he makes up for with power that Bill simply doesn't have anymore. When I listen to versions of "War Pigs" with Tommy behind the kit, it has WAY more kick to my ears than it did the last few years Bill was playing it. Not trying to bash Bill; his 1970s playing will NEVER be equaled, but age diminishes everyone eventually. I understand many long timers don't agree, but I think the current lineup has a great chemistry. It's just a *different* chemistry than they had with Bill.

It'll be interesting to see how Ozzy holds up as the tour still has a long way to go. Also to see if the set changes at all when they get back to N.A. (or if it gets even shorter). One thing's for sure - Sabbath are not embarrassing themselves in the least with the current quality of shows, *46 years* into their career.
                  well, last time around when they first started up the "gems" were tomorrows dream and wheels of confusion, the wizard, and sweet leaf, similar to this time around with tomorrows dream.

Then we got into the full blown tour and we saw electric funeral [which actually stayed in rotation for a bit] and under the sun which stayed in rotation the entire tour and bled into this tour.

Hand Of Doom was the big gem for this tour, After Forever was a nice little sweetener but overall the setlist isnt all that great. Same old paranoid album with a few from the other 1st albums and thats it.

Literally the entire paranoid album, minus electric funeral and planet caravan is in this current setlist. I personally would shrink it down to only war pigs, hand of doom, rat salad, and MAYBE iron man. I say maybe because they play it all the time, but its unrealistic that they would scrap it. I say dropping at least fairies wear boots should be reasonable, it is the weak link in the setlist [after paranoid]

now, I cant think that sabbath would run through the rest of the tour without at least plugging in 1 more oddball track, or at least trying it for a few shows. This leaves me to speculate what songs are even on the table for such a thing?

My guesses are the following [based on shows 1997-2016]

-Tomorrows Dream- it is a more demanding rare track vocally, but doable. [played 8 times in 1999, 2 times 2012, 1 time in 2016]

-Wheels of confusion- it isnt quite as demanding as tomorrows dream. [Played 1 time in 2012]

-Sweet Leaf- Theoretically not too demanding, but ozzy would need to dust off the cobwebs to get into the groove of playing this track live again. [played 24 times in 1997, 9 times in 1998, 57 times in 1999, 3 times in 2012]

-Electric Funeral- This track is droning, so like we saw on the "13" tour it would be harder for ozzy to stay in tune I think, plus I dont think he cares much for it. [ Played 2 times in 1997, 12 times in 1998, 62 times in 1999, 2 times in 2005, 2 times in 2012, 5 times in 2013]

-Lord Of This World- This is probably the best pick in terms of rarity and quality that sabbath could pick, I think it cant be any more difficult than into the void or after forever. [ Played 2 times in 1997, 11 times in 1998]

-The Wizard- This could be easily pulled off, but due to the harmonica parts I think they wont add it, as it could stress ozzy's voice prematurely into a show. [played 31 times in 2001, 30 times in 2005, 3 times in 2012]

A few honorable mentions that they have played between 1997-2016 that I HIGHLY doubt they will play again, as they are out of ozzy's vocal range now.

Spiral Architect, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Killing Yourself To Live

I think what we will get as far as gems go will be restricted to the 1st 3 albums, with hope of Vol. 4 [MAYBE]

If I had to bet money, id say we will get something like lord of this world. Think about it, all of the other songs ive listed they have already tried between 2012-2016 and have pulled from the setlist. The ONLY way it could be another song is if they dig towards other albums beyond vol.4 , which I dont see happening anytime soon for various reasons [ozzy's vocal range + history of the band towards the later part of the 70's]

Lord Of This World would be the best gem to pick that I can think of, as the others have already been played in recent years with varying degrees of success. unless they pull out sleeping village/ warning/ wicked world - which I doubt they will do as wicked world is a cover song and the others are too experimental for a tour, maybe a 1 off like in 2005 with the sleeping village intro

Thoughts?

Comment

wicked world is a cover song
                    Wicked World is an original. Were you thinking of Warning, as you mentioned it also?

Comment

Originally posted by SweetSymptom View Post
                      Wicked World is an original. Were you thinking of Warning, as you mentioned it also?
                      I think I was thinking of evil woman actually, whoops!

Comment

well, last time around when they first started up the "gems" were tomorrows dream and wheels of confusion, the wizard, and sweet leaf, similar to this time around with tomorrows dream.

Then we got into the full blown tour and we saw electric funeral [which actually stayed in rotation for a bit] and under the sun which stayed in rotation the entire tour and bled into this tour.

Hand Of Doom was the big gem for this tour, After Forever was a nice little sweetener but overall the setlist isnt all that great. Same old paranoid album with a few from the other 1st albums and thats it.

Literally the entire paranoid album, minus electric funeral and planet caravan is in this current setlist. I personally would shrink it down to only war pigs, hand of doom, rat salad, and MAYBE iron man. I say maybe because they play it all the time, but its unrealistic that they would scrap it. I say dropping at least fairies wear boots should be reasonable, it is the weak link in the setlist [after paranoid]

now, I cant think that sabbath would run through the rest of the tour without at least plugging in 1 more oddball track, or at least trying it for a few shows. This leaves me to speculate what songs are even on the table for such a thing?

My guesses are the following [based on shows 1997-2016]

-Tomorrows Dream- it is a more demanding rare track vocally, but doable. [played 8 times in 1999, 2 times 2012, 1 time in 2016]

-Wheels of confusion- it isnt quite as demanding as tomorrows dream. [Played 1 time in 2012]

-Sweet Leaf- Theoretically not too demanding, but ozzy would need to dust off the cobwebs to get into the groove of playing this track live again. [played 24 times in 1997, 9 times in 1998, 57 times in 1999, 3 times in 2012]

-Electric Funeral- This track is droning, so like we saw on the "13" tour it would be harder for ozzy to stay in tune I think, plus I dont think he cares much for it. [ Played 2 times in 1997, 12 times in 1998, 62 times in 1999, 2 times in 2005, 2 times in 2012, 5 times in 2013]

-Lord Of This World- This is probably the best pick in terms of rarity and quality that sabbath could pick, I think it cant be any more difficult than into the void or after forever. [ Played 2 times in 1997, 11 times in 1998]

-The Wizard- This could be easily pulled off, but due to the harmonica parts I think they wont add it, as it could stress ozzy's voice prematurely into a show. [played 31 times in 2001, 30 times in 2005, 3 times in 2012]

A few honorable mentions that they have played between 1997-2016 that I HIGHLY doubt they will play again, as they are out of ozzy's vocal range now.

I think what we will get as far as gems go will be restricted to the 1st 3 albums, with hope of Vol. 4 [MAYBE]

If I had to bet money, id say we will get something like lord of this world. Think about it, all of the other songs ive listed they have already tried between 2012-2016 and have pulled from the setlist. The ONLY way it could be another song is if they dig towards other albums beyond vol.4 , which I dont see happening anytime soon for various reasons [ozzy's vocal range + history of the band towards the later part of the 70's]

Lord Of This World would be the best gem to pick that I can think of, as the others have already been played in recent years with varying degrees of success. unless they pull out sleeping village/ warning/ wicked world - which I doubt they will do as wicked world is a cover song and the others are too experimental for a tour, maybe a 1 off like in 2005 with the sleeping village intro

Thoughts?
                        I think Ozzy could sing Cornucopia and I think Black Sabbath should play Cornucopia

Comment

If Ozzy can still sing SBS as well as he did on the Reunion live album (and based on current performances, I absolutely believe he could), it should definitely be in the set. Even if it's an abbreviated version with an altered vocal melody, it should still be there as it was a very pivitol song in their career. I don't mind all the Paranoid tracks as I still consider it their best overall album. But playing absolutely nothing from SBS or Sabotage is the real hole in the current setlist. I also wonder if he couldn't alter/lower the vocal on SOTU to also make it doable (minus the acoustic ending of course, no chance in hell of hearing that part except at soundcheck).

Comment

Originally posted by thewizard View Post
                            I think Ozzy could sing Cornucopia and I think Black Sabbath should play Cornucopia
                            I could see that happening. Good call

Comment

It would be cool if they played Sleeping Village/The Warning, Ozzy could pull that off.
                              "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                              "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                              ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Working...
                              X