Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

"Isolated Man"...What a sleeper HIT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Isolated Man"...What a sleeper HIT!

Man, just breezed through this one on first listen and shrugged but really gave it full attention for the first time today with the headphones on and damn! Great lyrics and delivery and overall quite possibly the most classic sabbathy sounding track out of all the new stuff.

If you haven't tried IM again since it's release, I'm suggesting you give it another go.

Awesome song.

Its quite a good song, prefer Season of the Dead and Cry all Night imo, but Isolated Man is a damn good track!

Comment

I think its the weakest of the 4 new ones from The End.

Comment

I loved this one. It should have been on 13 instead of Loner. Ozzy doesn't sound great, but this song does capture the Sabbath sound more than any other song from the sessions. But I guess it was too original for 13.

Comment

I dunno what you guys hear in these THE END tracks, don't think too much of the 13 songs but the ones from the EP are noticeably a step or two down in quality as far as my ears go.

Extremely weak lyrics and Ozzy seems to be singing the same thing in every song.

I'm no Martin era fan, but Cross Purposes blows all this stuff out of the water...that was the last decent Sabbath album in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by Wheels Of Confusion View Post
            I dunno what you guys hear in these THE END tracks, don't think too much of the 13 songs but the ones from the EP are noticeably a step or two down in quality as far as my ears go.

Extremely weak lyrics and Ozzy seems to be singing the same thing in every song.

I'm no Martin era fan, but Cross Purposes blows all this stuff out of the water...that was the last decent Sabbath album in my book.
            I too was disappointed with The End tracks and to be honest with you thought they were very dull. 13 was great on first listen and I still like it now but it's not a patch on their 70s stuff. Geezer said they were on about doing a blues album but it got put to one side. Tbf that would be interesting to hear as I think iommi can rock out some heavy blues but personally I don't think they have much left in them to produce another successful metal album. Of course it would sell regardless but I just think they have ran out of ideas or they are not as adventurous as they used to be.

Comment

I think 13 was a great return 35 yrs later... and I think Rubin did a good job picking the songs he did. The bonus tracks are great and the 4 later ones are ok but none of them would have fit onto 13 IMO. Zep and Purple would love to be able to rock out like Sabbath did on 13 and any other veteran band for that matter. But they never really "retired" so it wasn't a big surprise. Does 13 have the same place in my heart the first 6 or 7 do? Well no, not 35 yrs later, but it stands on it's own as classic Sabbath.
              "Music is so sacred to me that I cant hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
              R. Blackmore

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
                I think 13 was a great return 35 yrs later... and I think Rubin did a good job picking the songs he did. The bonus tracks are great and the 4 later ones are ok but none of them would have fit onto 13 IMO. Zep and Purple would love to be able to rock out like Sabbath did on 13 and any other veteran band for that matter. But they never really "retired" so it wasn't a big surprise. Does 13 have the same place in my heart the first 6 or 7 do? Well no, not 35 yrs later, but it stands on it's own as classic Sabbath.
                agree with this regarding 13. I don't put it with the first 8 because it does stand alone and because ward was not on the album. I said it does not compare to their 70s stuff and it doesn't imo, but it's not the 70s anymore and the world has moved on. It's a great album by three men who are pushing 70 and it goes to show that it's just in the blood. Would love to hear that blues album they were going to do though.

Comment

Yeah I'm not hating on 13 at all. Think everything that came out of the 13 sessions was great. I'll never forget 2013 and the the great music it provided because it was a huge year for me! Only thing with isolated man is that the lyrics are clearly unfinished/unpolished. Maybe Ozzy wrote these and they never quite panned out. I think it's the song that makes me cringe the most out of all the tracks related to 13.

Comment

Originally posted by Wheels Of Confusion View Post

Season of the Dead is my favorite of the four from THE END. Cry All Night is decent, but the other two are a bit dull.

Comment

Originally posted by jstheconqueror View Post
                      Yeah I'm not hating on 13 at all. Think everything that came out of the 13 sessions was great. I'll never forget 2013 and the the great music it provided because it was a huge year for me! Only thing with isolated man is that the lyrics are clearly unfinished/unpolished. Maybe Ozzy wrote these and they never quite panned out. I think it's the song that makes me cringe the most out of all the tracks related to 13.
                      I agree... my point was when I hear an album today at my age, as good as it can be it'll never have the same impact on me that something I heard at 16 had... I think people miss that when they cling to their childhood memories, as most of us do...
                      "Music is so sacred to me that I cant hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
                      R. Blackmore

Comment

I agree... my point was when I hear an album today at my age, as good as it can be it'll never have the same impact on me that something I heard at 16 had... I think people miss that when they cling to their childhood memories, as most of us do...
                        That's the problem of growing up... : (
                        95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
                        Til rs ok friar ok forn sir

Comment

I dig it but they chose the right tracks for 13 Deluxe Version. I wouldn't swap nary a one with anything on The End. Still I wish they'd do a "13-The Complete Sessions" that has them all. I like the album quite a bit more than when it was new. Yes it's pretty much a recycling of the classics but holds together well. My only gripe now is the sequencing of the main album. It couldn't have used a couple rockers from Disc 2.

Comment

I love this song and everything from 13 sessions accept the sequencing! They should release my sequences as a double disk! Lol jp.

Comment

Well, is it that or is it that they (albums and bands) simply aren't as good any more? There's a major factor here that comes to play with many bands in their formative years. At that time they are young, inspired, experimental, trying very hard, genuinely excited about the music they are writing, playing and recording, and their songs are fresh, vibrant and even - as in the case of Sabbath - creating a brand new genre. Eventually, as happens in many walks of life (marriage, careers, hobbies and interests etc etc) that process dumbs down and sadly, that flush of excitement and creativity gradually fades away. That being so, you often find that the first two or three albums of a band are often amongst - if not are - their finest offerings. Towards the end (no pun intended) although a band would never admit it (there's good money to be made) they become jaded and bereft of ideas. There's no getting away from it, Black Sabbath IS 'Black Sabbath', Paranoid and 'MOR'. What came after may be good - even very good - but inevitably bands fall into a formulaic process, a regurgitation of their best ideas, and that can never be as good as first time around.

Comment

Working...
                              X