"Dear Father" - A small rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Dear Father" - A small rant

Okay, to be fair, I don't like "Dear Father" much anyway, but I have to say, and I hope you agree:

The noise at the beginning of the song...totally annoying and a big turn-off. Worst intro EVER.

I can't change the track fast enough.

Totally Disagree respectfully.

Comment

It's become one of my favorites on the album.
      "They tell you black is really white the moon is just the sun at night and when you walk in golden halls you get to keep the gold that falls, it's heaven and hell"
      ~ Ronnie James Dio

Comment

Sorry William, can't agree with you on this one. Probably my favorite on the album. As far as the intro, yeah it's stupid. But I give it a pass because it is so short.

Comment

Originally posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
          Okay, to be fair, I don't like "Dear Father" much anyway, but I have to say, and I hope you agree:

The noise at the beginning of the song...totally annoying and a big turn-off. Worst intro EVER.

I can't change the track fast enough.
          William my brother , you doing OK ,,, I love ya buddy - but straight up , "Dear Father" is an absolute statement track , easily one of the highest points on a 16 track double monster - filled with landmarks all over the friggin place! ,,,, "13" is that much more of a benchmark because of "Dear Father" ,,, to the same degree "MOR" is due to "Into the Void" .....

"DEAR FATHER" is also one of Sabbath's finest closers (album proper) , from any Era .... the guitar work on this track is in fn sane! ,, and Ozzy is raw as f**k - he sounds sensational ,,,, one of Brads best moments , and Geezer in that mid-section is off the charts ,,, but my goodness IOMMI steals the show on this track ,, and the INTRO is phenomenal , gets the blood up - love it! ,,, and the outro puts the biggest smile on my face .....

.... ya no doubt "Dear Father" is a friggin gem amongst gems .... absolute statement piece!

Anyway , God Bless buddy

Comment

The intro doesn't bother me nearly as much as the Follow The Tears riff rip off does....

Comment

Originally posted by Charger View Post
              The intro doesn't bother me nearly as much as the Follow The Tears riff rip off does....
              Wouldn't this be called "recycling?"

I don't know ... I mean ... ripping yourself off sounds like an activity not related to music.

"Dear Father" is a masterpiece, IMO. The intensity of Iommi's playing is quite simply not to be believed.
              "It is not opinion that Ozzy peaked on Sabotage, it is a measurable fact."
              -WTB

Comment

I'm with you William. Dear Father is my least favorite on the first disc.

Comment

Originally posted by Charger View Post
                  What song does Follow The Tears rip off??

Comment

Totally disagree with the OP. Dear Father is a powerful song both musically & lyrically and a great closer to the album proper and is also one of the standout performances by Ozzy on 13.

In regards to the intro, is it some kind of power tool or something? There's also a voice to be heard saying "do you need a hand with that?" Sounds like Ozzy.

Comment

Originally posted by Towelie View Post
                      What song does Follow The Tears rip off??
                      I believe he meant that the 'Dear Father' riff borrows from 'Follow the Tears'.

Originally posted by Jack the Stripper View Post
                      Totally disagree with the OP. Dear Father is a powerful song both musically & lyrically and a great closer to the album proper and is also one of the standout performances by Ozzy on 13.

In regards to the intro, is it some kind of power tool or something? There's also a voice to be heard saying "do you need a hand with that?" Sounds like Ozzy.
                      Some sort of a drill, I believe.

I always looked at the intro as a throwback to things like the noise at the beginning of 'Hole in the Sky'. I assume it was an intentional nod to that.

Comment

Rick Rubin wanted to hear Iommi's squeaks on the fretboard, those iconic IOMMI-ism you hear in the powerful riff right before Ozzy sings "lost in the wheels of confusion" and most noticeably in Sweat Leaf... too bad we didn't hear them in an actual song but their unique to Iommi maybe because of the finger tips don't know... I've never heard them by any other band. Dear Father is a great track, I would have put it at track#2 with GID at #1 and End Of The Beg. as the closer. I think we need more discussion of "13" on this board maybe this thread does that. In an alternate Universe 13 is the album they made between MOR and Vol4...
                        Last edited by Wicked Cricket; 06-06-2017, 05:10 AM.
                        "Music is so sacred to me that I can’t hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
                        R. Blackmore

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
                          Rick Rubin wanted to hear Iommi's squeaks on the fretboard, those iconic IOMMI-ism you hear in the powerful riff right before Ozzy sings "lost in the wheels of confusion" and most noticeably in Sweat Leaf... too bad we didn't hear them in an actual song but their unique to Iommi maybe because of the finger tips don't know... I've never heard them by any other band. Dear Father is a great track, I would have put it at track#2 with GID at #1 and End Of The Beg. as the closer. I think we need more discussion of "13" on this board maybe this thread does that. In an alternate Universe 13 is the album they made between MOR and Vol4...
                          I believe the sound is actually cleaning his fretboard with a cloth, very similar to the "scratching" noise of fingers sliding over the strings.
                          "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
                          "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
                          "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Comment

Originally posted by -E5150 StarWanderer- View Post
                            I believe the sound is actually cleaning his fretboard with a cloth, very similar to the "scratching" noise of fingers sliding over the strings.
                            When...I say WHEN will humanity remove the comforting gauze of self-delusion from their minds and face the TRUTH?!

That "sound" isn't from a fretboard. Or a drill. Or even of human origin.

After careful (and painful, oh Lord how painful) analysis, that...sound...is the backward masked rendition of the summoning chant for the Old One.

But here's the thing: the physiology of the human vocalization system is not made, nor can it, accurately reproduce those alien phonetics. UNLESS they have been possessed. UNLESS the ritual has been authorized by our hidden, ruling masters.

The time is approaching. Pray you are eaten first.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn. Navulgtm nog fhtagn, shugg gokayar hafh'drnagl tharanakog kn'a lw'nafh ooboshu h'gof'nn n'ghft, grah'n lw'nafh hai ehye naflebunma Chaugnar Faugn vulgtm. Ron shugg nnnftaghu naftaghu geb gotha R'lyeh nakn'a h'fm'latgh, ngshagg kadishtu ch' nglui lllloth throd y-gotha naflstell'bsna Shub-Niggurath, 'bthnk Yoggoth uh'e gof'nn nageb r'luh fm'latgh.

gadji beri bimba glandridi laula lonni cadori - Ball

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
                              In an alternate Universe 13 is the album they made between MOR and Vol4...
                              Take out Age Of Reason (which is a bit more SBSish) that's actually pretty accurate. Though i see the similarity between AOR () and the epics of Vol 4 too...
                              95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
                              Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Comment

Working...
                              X