X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rollerjoint
    replied
    Originally posted by IRON-MaN View Post
    The best remastered versions I own by far are the digital MP3 downloads that were available on previous Original Black Sabbath years Vinyl Box collection that came out a few years ago , those were bloody amazing and I'm excited to know whether those available on the 'Ten Years' Box set will be as good or even better ?

Here is the description on black sabbath The Vinyl Collection 1970-1978 :

"To ensure pristine audio quality for this very special limited edition set, the original master tapes were remastered at a 24-bit/96kHz resolution, giving a listening experience to rival being present at the original Black Sabbath recording sessions."
    Thanks IRON-MaN, I think I have some catching up to do!

Leave a comment:

• IRON-MaN
    replied
    Originally posted by southernlord View Post
    I was talking about the download, not the actual lps of course. I just assumed back then that they used the latest (2009) digital remaster for the mp3s.
    Yes same here , I was only referring to the digital downloads.

Leave a comment:

• southernlord
    replied
    You must be kidding ! Those remasters are ahead a shoulder above any other remasters I own (crisp sound with lots of dynamics and you can literally hear a lot of details that weren't that audible on earlier versions !) , fingers crossed those new ones on 'Ten Years War' box set would be even better !
    I was talking about the download, not the actual lps of course. I just assumed back then that they used the latest (2009) digital remaster for the mp3s.

Leave a comment:

• IRON-MaN
    replied
    Ooops, I didn't know that. I always thought those downloads would be identical to the 2009 cds. Now I really hope that download code is still working.
    You must be kidding ! Those remasters are ahead a shoulder above any other remasters I own (crisp sound with lots of dynamics and you can literally hear a lot of details that weren't that audible on earlier versions !) , fingers crossed those new ones on 'Ten Years War' box set would be even better !

Leave a comment:

• southernlord
    replied
    The best remastered versions I own by far are the digital MP3 downloads that were available on previous Original Black Sabbath years Vinyl Box collection that came out a few years ago , those were bloody amazing and I'm excited to know whether those available on the 'Ten Years' Box set will be as good or even better ?
    Ooops, I didn't know that. I always thought those downloads would be identical to the 2009 cds. Now I really hope that download code is still working.

Leave a comment:

• IRON-MaN
    replied
    Originally posted by Rollerjoint View Post
    In this review it says:

"The first decent remasters (through Essential / Castle, a company that later became the Sanctuary that was subsequently absorbed by Universal) are more than adequate for most purposes. But to compound the problem, all subsequent reissues remastered previous remasters.

At the launch for this event the remastering for this release was explained, and if you’ve ever watched Fake Or Fortune on TV you’ll understand the work involved with tracing the masters back to the original recordings (or as close to as possible, and I’m not sure how helpful Sharon Osborne was). That was a job in itself, and listening to the music here, it was well worth it."

I'm starting to loose track of how many remasters/transfers there are! Can someone clarify the different versions? Has there been a remaster since the 2007 Sanctuary releases? I remember seeing some releases in 2012 and the new Greatest Hits package since the recent sale of the label and I was thinking they have been using the same source, but now I'm wondering. Is this yet another version or are they talking about the work that was done 10 years ago?

Here is the description on black sabbath The Vinyl Collection 1970-1978 :

"To ensure pristine audio quality for this very special limited edition set, the original master tapes were remastered at a 24-bit/96kHz resolution, giving a listening experience to rival being present at the original Black Sabbath recording sessions."

My 'Ten Years' box set have been dispatched and can't wait to get my hands on those new versions and compare for myself !

Leave a comment:

• Billy Underdog
    replied
    Originally posted by Rollerjoint View Post
    Is this yet another version or are they talking about the work that was done 10 years ago?
    It's a ten year war, isn't it..? :-P

Leave a comment:

• Rollerjoint
    replied
    In this review it says:

"The first decent remasters (through Essential / Castle, a company that later became the Sanctuary that was subsequently absorbed by Universal) are more than adequate for most purposes. But to compound the problem, all subsequent reissues remastered previous remasters.

At the launch for this event the remastering for this release was explained, and if you’ve ever watched Fake Or Fortune on TV you’ll understand the work involved with tracing the masters back to the original recordings (or as close to as possible, and I’m not sure how helpful Sharon Osborne was). That was a job in itself, and listening to the music here, it was well worth it."

I'm starting to loose track of how many remasters/transfers there are! Can someone clarify the different versions? Has there been a remaster since the 2007 Sanctuary releases? I remember seeing some releases in 2012 and the new Greatest Hits package since the recent sale of the label and I was thinking they have been using the same source, but now I'm wondering. Is this yet another version or are they talking about the work that was done 10 years ago?

Leave a comment:

• southernlord
    replied
    A detailed review of the box set:
    http://www.withguitars.com/black-sab...k-box-via-bmg/

Leave a comment:

• southernlord
    replied
    They posted an unboxing video of the box set at pledgemusic.com

Leave a comment:

• ronn
    replied
    Originally posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
    Contender #5 , "thewizard" - has entered the contest with a beautiful Dio Era moment posted in "The Listen" ,,,, this is what gets the juices flowing - "thewizard" I always took as a Oz Era first kind of guy , and here his story takes us right in the heart of the "Mob Rules" !!!! ..... Good stuff wizard , good stuff indeed!

Contender #6 right around the corner!! ,,, you can't keep a real Sab Maniac silent for long ,, beautiful member to have join this Sab circus camaraderie ..... take your time brother , the highest voted moments (when we get to 10 members strong) - enters the raffle for a gem-set of SABBATH!!

thewizard n Jeff , Thank you for joining - not only to make me feel less "crazy" ,, but giving the other contenders a chance to have a drawing / raffle / whatever .... you , Sabbath fans - FN ROCK!

God bless
    Doc is there 10 stories yet?
    Someone start the face off thread
    Daddy wants a new pair of shoes!

Leave a comment:

• zzzptm
    replied
    Originally posted by Ted Sallis View Post
    ^^ The Live Evil footage w/Dio would have been filmed in 1982. Also, how about the 1983 Reading Festival appearance w/Ian Gillan released in full?

Ted
    Hear, hear, well spoken, Ted!

Leave a comment:

• Ted Sallis
    replied
    ^^ The Live Evil footage w/Dio would have been filmed in 1982. Also, how about the 1983 Reading Festival appearance w/Ian Gillan released in full?

Ted

Leave a comment:

• popeyebonaparte
    replied
    I would bet that if Sabbath had a proper manager intead of Sharon who's only interested in making money from the old records and obliterating any evidence of post Ozzy Sabbath, we would have a proper DVD set instead of this rubbish again. It's very simple, we know what exists. Just release it!

DVD ONE

Paris 1970 complete
    California Jam 1974 25 minute complete

Extras:

Beat Club 1970
    Top Of The Pops 1970
    Belgian TV 1970
    Germany 1970 War Pigs clip
    Sabbath Bloody Sabbath promo

DVD TWO

Don Kirshner's Rock Concert complete
    Hammersmith Odeon 1978 complete

Extras:

Rock And Roll Doctor promo
    It's Alright promo
    Hard Road promo
    Top Of The Pops 1978

The Paris footage belongs to Reelin In The Years right now. Get the film off them and transfer it to HD. California Jam and DKRC must be in the TV station archives and Never Say Die can be copied straight from the same source as the DVD. It would be nice if more footage existed but probably it doesn't.

Apart from this, I'd kill to see a release of the 1983 Live Evil film footage with Dio. We should also have the Santa Monica 1975 show released by now. It's sad to think that such a good live band as Sabbath only has Live At Last from original the Ozzy years!

Leave a comment:

• Jack the Stripper
    replied
    Originally posted by NibRules View Post
    Even if I could afford this no way I'm gonna buy it now when those Golden versions are sold out. As the pricing for "worse" releases is the same it would feel like second prize. So this is little bit more than usual "if you don't like, just don't buy it" thing. Quite stupid pricing policy, or then there should be only Golden ones if the price is same. Crucifix shaped USB stick would be nice though but 200+ euros for USB stick, phew... and probably it is something like 4GB only
    Yeah seems a bit silly that the standard(inferior) box sets were priced the same as the litho signed or unsigned and golden box sets.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X